try driving your car less

Drilling out solid axle off-center?

I am going to try this pretty soon, but wanted to ask here in case it's a waste of time. I want to drill out a solid axle so it can take a QR, but have the whole be off center, sort of a mini-eccentric axle. My plan is as follows:
    0. get a solid axle and cut it down to the length of a normal hollow axle for QR (like 135+6 mm, will compare to existing axle).
    1. Make a holder: take a big piece of wood (4x4) a little shorter than the axle and attach another piece of 2x4 onto it. The 2x4 is horizontal and can clamp to the drill press table thing (horizontal part). The 4x4 is vertical up (upside down T). drill out a hole for the solid axle to drop into. would fit very snug. drop in the axle and tighten down a bolt to the wood so it cant spin in the wood. yeah, a nice metal thing to do this would be better...
    2. move the whole thing slightly, reclamp the 2x4 to the drill press, and then drill down with a long thin bit (think I found one...) with a diameter big enough for a QR axle. want to be just off center. this, albeit, will be the super tricky part. will go slowly slowly.

I think this would allow an eccentric axle QR wheel with just a slight slight bit of throw. is this a retarded idea? should be just as strong as a regular QR axle (same amount of material).

I was going to do this over the winter, but I just ordered an ENO instead. But I still want to try it, or have someone else here try it??
    If someone here is a machinist, and could make a really slick jig to hold the axle while drilling (correct offset, and perfectly vertical, and axle not wanting to spin while drilling), that would be awesome!

just thinking.

JH

Cracker-magnon
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    I am going to try this pretty soon, but wanted to ask here in case it's a waste of time. I want to drill out a solid axle so it can take a QR, but have the whole be off center, sort of a mini-eccentric axle. My plan is as follows:
    0. get a solid axle and cut it down to the length of a normal hollow axle for QR (like 135+6 mm, will compare to existing axle).
    Not sure it will work, since the axle will sit in the drops anyway. It will just shift the QR around. The idea would be to get the axle to move in reference to the hub.
    [SIZE=2]"Life is a F@#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.[/SIZE]

The Top Cap Guy
    Doesn't the axle (outside) line up in the drop outs - it's not your skewer that holds your wheel in place - your frame rides on the outside of the axle - not where the skewer is???

Am I crazy?

FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    That's a very ambitious idea. I'm not sure if the axle's are hardened or not, but if they are, you're in for a very tough job. If you can get past that, I would imagine the other two largest obstacles would be how to align the axle perfectly while drilling, and how you can prevent the bit from flexing so much that it continually tracks off center.

Good luck and let us know how it works.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I don't think it's going to work...

The problem, like others have said, is that the axle is still what will be touching the frame, but the QR will be off center. To make an eccentric axle, as I understand it, you need to start with an oversized axle and make the actual frame interface off center. An off center QR won't do anything, and you don't want to be riding around with just the QR touching the frame and the axle floating in the middle.
    --- FeelsGood

try driving your car less

OK OK I am a retard

Quote Originally Posted by gpsser
    Not sure it will work, since the axle will sit in the drops anyway. It will just shift the QR around. The idea would be to get the axle to move in reference to the hub.
    OK OK I am a retard. You folks are correct. This will do absolutely nothing for chain tension. THanks for pointing this out. It's obvious to me now.
    Good news: ENO hub and freewheel are on order.

voodoo child

Isn't that the concept of the Fixed Innovations axle?

Don't know if they are still in business, but there is some info here
    http://www.peak.org/~fixin/axle.html