VENI VEDI BIKI

Drill Odis for fender?

Has anyone drilled a Vassago Odis fork for a front fender (where the fork legs join the steerer tube)?

[Edit: before any smart aleck replies, I am well aware that there are holes for fender mounts by the drop outs on the fork. However, the fender I have will not clear my tire if I mount it there, so I need to mount the fender using the top L bracket.]
    Last edited by skankingbiker; 12-28-2011 at 02:01 PM.
    Veni Vidi Biki

I came, I saw, I biked.

mtbr member

Kinda like this??

This isn't a high zoot Vasago Odin fork obviously, but the rigid one one from my 2012 XXIX that is factory issue with a hole. Not sure exactly what yours looks like. If each leg joins the tube in middle like this one, i would think it would be sound to drill one. I know there are also compression clips for front fenders that go up into steerer tube so you wouldnt need a hole or if your fork legs are in one piece like a "U" with the steerer welded on, perhaps you could use a metal "C" clip simular to a conduit stand-off that would let you snap it on and off around the tubing without making a hole in the fork.

That either helped or pissed you off worse , hope it was the first not the latter. Good luck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Drill Odis for fender?-dsc01123.jpg  

Drill Odis for fender?-dsc01124.jpg  

Where there is choice, there is misery...

mtbr member
    You should be fine. The steertube is pretty thick steel. Just don't drill it right at the bottom. If you already have the fender, check it against the fork and drill the steertube as high as possible. Drill straight.

GFB: There's about a 90% chance your fork and the Odis were welded by the same company in Taiwan. Maxway is the biggest steel company around, and most Vassago's have been built there, I believe. It's also a pretty safe bet that Raleigh uses them too. So the zoot difference is pretty small, likely ...

mtbr member
    I didn't know that. I've never even had it on the bike, but had ridden it on demo. Seemed nice enough but wanted a squishy up front for this one. Fooled by name familiarity again...Assuming a part is high end and costly based on a high brand. I feel so cheap and tawdry, like I've been violated, I feel dirty. LOL-have a good ride!
    Where there is choice, there is misery...

mtbr member
    Well, Maxway can certainly produce different levels of quality, user different construction and steel etc. The Odis fork is double butted, so that may produce a nicer ride, but most of the extra cost on the fork probably comes from the finicky segmented construction, and not the quality in any real way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skankingbiker View Post
    ...I need to mount the fender using the top L bracket.]
    You could use one of those expanding plugs from fenders designed for suspension forks, and drill a hole in the L-bracket to bolt it into the plug. You could also use a star-nut. Compressing a rubber spacer between the front of the L-bracket and the fork helps keep the fender from twisting.

Combat Wombat

I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by itsdoable View Post
    You could also use a star-nut. Compressing a rubber spacer between the front of the L-bracket and the fork helps keep the fender from twisting.
    Running a star-nut into the the bottom of the steerer and mounting some type of bracket to it sounds like a great idea. I would definitely try this before drilling the fork, which would mean drilling dead center between two welded segmented sections.

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Quote Originally Posted by itsdoable View Post
    You could use one of those expanding plugs from fenders designed for suspension forks, and drill a hole in the L-bracket to bolt it into the plug. You could also use a star-nut. Compressing a rubber spacer between the front of the L-bracket and the fork helps keep the fender from twisting.
    Great suggestion.....thanks much
    Veni Vidi Biki

I came, I saw, I biked.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Dude dont shove a starnut in if you already have one up top! How would you get em out??

You can get a compression plug for the top. Bike shops should sell em for like $13 ish for a cheap one.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Combat Wombat
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Dude dont shove a starnut in if you already have one up top! How would you get em out??

You can get a compression plug for the top. Bike shops should sell em for like $13 ish for a cheap one.
    Good point! Did not think about that.

mtbr member
    Dude dont shove a starnut in if you already have one up top! How would you get em out?? ...
    Why do you need to get them out? Practically speaking, that is?

But yea, a compression plug is more versatile.

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Brute force....can't reuse them anyway.
    Veni Vidi Biki

I came, I saw, I biked.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Yall are right. Who needs to remove em anyway. go ahead and do it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by skankingbiker View Post
    Brute force....can't reuse them anyway.
    That won't work unless you install them both the same way. If you put one in from the top and the other in from the bottom the easy direction to move them will but them together.

I did the double starnut thing. Installed them both from the top. Worked just fine.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker View Post
    That won't work unless you install them both the same way. If you put one in from the top and the other in from the bottom the easy direction to move them will but them together.

I did the double starnut thing. Installed them both from the top. Worked just fine.
    You sir, are a genius.

Ovaries on the Outside
    It makes me feel lazy to think that I'd just zip tie the L bracket to place.

mtbr member
    I've removed starnuts by drilling out the petals before, but it's tedious work. You can also usually pry the petals back with a screwdriver or something. But for a fender mount, I'm sure just pounding a starnut all the way to the bottomw would work too.