mtbr member

Don't know if this is a stupid question....

Okay, I've been SS'ing since August 2009. and really happy about it too!!! One bike, a light Ti cross-country set-up, about 20lbs (kinda went weight weenie here...) but I decided to add another SS bike and got me an Evil Sovereign frame (already close to 2.5lbs more than my Ti frame) and I'm starting to build it now. With what I'm putting on it, I don't think it's gonna be less than 24 or 25 lbs. I'm geared 32X18 on my light bike. Should I gear "easier" (like 32X19) for a heavier bike??? I just don't know what the effect of a heavier bike will be on my ability to climb... oh, 26" bikes, I'm in the North-East, ride in Vermont sometimes, (but I'm from north of Montreal) have never shuttled, even during my 3 weeks trip in Colorado, if this means anything...

Thanks for your input,

Johnnydrz

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Build it up minus gears and just use your old gears on your new bike to see if you notice a difference. Then buy accordingly.
    Jesse
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines
    (Most) always down for a ride in the Gville area

meatier showers
    No need to gear lower on the new sled. Use the same ratio on both bikes. IMO.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I live in CO and my ss is about 25lb, and I suffer with 32 x 18 on steeps. But it is my workout bike, so suffering is a given condition. Get on my epic geared bike and I can go climb all day.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Weight don't matter none.