mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Don't always go by what the internet says....

Hello All,
    I just finished building single speed Surly Instigator a few days ago and everything when smoothly except an issue I had with the pedals I purchased. I got a set of Truvativ Holzfeller pedals as I liked the idea that they screw on via a hex wrench through the opposite hole on the crank. Anyhow, there was nothing wrong with the pedals, except that the traction pins they come with are just plain scary! Basically, they are 3M socket head screws at the base narrowing down to a 2mm pin that grips your shoe. According to Truvativ, you can either use their replacement pins or use 3mm x 12mm socket head machine screws. Instead of removing the pin and measuring it myself, I assumed that they where 12mm, so I set out today to find some 3mm x 8mm screws. Figured that 3mm less in length would be perfect. After driving all over town to different hardware stores (3M screws aren't very common), I found what I was looking for and came home. When I put the new screw/pin on it was the about the same length! Turns out what they were calling a direct replacement was actually off by 3mm (3mm by 9mm)!

What's the moral of the story? Don't always assume what your read on the internet is true. Take the time to take the measurements yourself!

What's the moral of the story?

go clipless. be one with the bike.

nothing to see here
    wouldn't want to have that scraping down my shin

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Just cut them down. Get a nut and back it off after cutting to straighten or cut them off after they're installed. Unscrewing them with fix any of the borked threads.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob
    wouldn't want to have that scraping down my shin
    Aye aye sir!
    8 is great

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    wellgo mg-1's
    no chain no gain.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    toe straps FTW!!!!
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I've got those on my SS and yeah, the pins are frightening. I've had a decent few chunks taken out of my shins and calves.They grip your shoes brilliantly, though. Once I get around to picking up some shinguards, they'll be perfect. I run clipless on the road but I'm not brave enough to risk my knees on the trail just yet, especially given how often I need to dab a foot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Babau
    I've got those on my SS and yeah, the pins are frightening. I've had a decent few chunks taken out of my shins and calves.They grip your shoes brilliantly, though. Once I get around to picking up some shinguards, they'll be perfect. I run clipless on the road but I'm not brave enough to risk my knees on the trail just yet, especially given how often I need to dab a foot.
    That they do! A little too good, lol. Once I install some shorter pins, these pedals should be perfect. IMHO, as is, the pins have too much grip, so it can be hard to adjust your feet if you need to quickly. I have this bike set up as a "do all". I just lower the seat for the bmx/dirtjump track and then raise it up for everything else.