mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Done with ole shifty

I've owned and upgraded a 2011 Trek X-Cal 3x10 setup for the last 3 seasons that I've lived in Boise. The thing cost plenty and has been costing me ever since in replacement parts. Yesterday I'm cruising down a particularly rough section of trail and I go take one gentle pedal stroke down hill and completely F my drivetrain. The chain came off and somehow got set funny in the derailleur. I get off and the chain is twisted beyond repair. The derailleur is bent and bare metal burrs are sticking out everywhere. I had to push the thing for about 2 miles where I couldn't roll.

The X-cal gets stripped of its Reba RL, tubeless wheels and various carbon parts tonight!! All will be moved to the SS. The X-Cal shall sit bare-framed and neglected. Joining the SS only ranks. Eff that effing 3x10 piece of crap!

mtbr member
    Welcome to the angry single speeders' club!
    No fuss with the MUSS

Gotta pay to play
    Sounds like you may have been cross chaining or not doing proper maintenance upkeep on your transmission.

Not to discourage anyone that wants to SS but riding SS doesn't mean that your bike chain is going to magically work every single ride. Chain tensioning could be a whole new headache depending on your method.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelscott View Post
    Sounds like you may have been cross chaining or not doing proper maintenance upkeep on your transmission.

Not to discourage anyone that wants to SS but riding SS doesn't mean that your bike chain is going to magically work every single ride. Chain tensioning could be a whole new headache depending on your method.
    X2.....I'd have fixed the X-Cal and converted it to 2x10, and bought cheap SS like Nashbar SS 29er. However welcome to SS.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz View Post
    X2.....I'd have fixed the X-Cal and converted it to 2x10, and bought cheap SS like Nashbar SS 29er. However welcome to SS.
    I've been riding SS for the last year pretty solid, but I take my x-cal on rides with the long steep climbs because a lot of trails around here just aren't possible with 32x18 and I don't like running a lower gearing than that.

It wasn't crosschaining, I was just riding down a particularly bumpy section at 25 mph. The shaking took the chain out of the little pulleys/cogs in the derailleur and when I went to pedal it all fouled up. This isn't the only incident. I've had lots of problems with the bike overall and my singlespeed is always ready to rock. I am just tired of the maintenance. I put around 700 miles on my SS last season without any issues, that weren't self-imposed.

I'm just ready to leave my x-cal a bare frame for awhile... as punishment for costing me countless trips to the bike shop and a couple hikes out from afar.