The race, not the animal!

Does two circles still exist

trying to find their website but not luck. It may be a proxy issues and they have me blocked out at work. It used to be www.twocircles.com. Thanks in advance. Jim

Cracker-magnon
    check this thread out from the old message board. Looks like he is not producing at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by sea otter
    trying to find their website but not luck. It may be a proxy issues and they have me blocked out at work. It used to be www.twocircles.com. Thanks in advance. Jim
    [SIZE=2]"Life is a F@#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

No.

No, we are no longer in business. To make a long story short, and clear up a few things:

Two Circles was started a few years ago by Crazy Mike and I. He had the frame manufacturing background and I knew about singlespeeding. We went into business and started making frames. They were produced in the factory that Mike worked his day job at - making tandems. They were nice frames. I like mine very much. Other people like theirs as well.

So what's the problem? Our customer service was not what it should have been. We were both trying to work full time jobs other than Two Circles, train and race (successfully - he was state champ singlespeeder in 2002, and I in 2003), and still have a life. Something had to give, and it couldn't be our jobs that paid the rent, riding is fun as hell, and you can't give up on other parts of life. So sometimes the company came after that. That wasn't fair to our customers. We aren't bad guys, but sometimes we sucked to do business with.

A lot of times, even with the best intentions, we were slower than we should have been. With a couple customers it was embarassingly bad and I wasn't prould of it, but there seemed to be too many things that were not in my control to have a good turnaround. When you tell someone they will have a frame in two weeks, and the powdercoater has it for four, it's hard to keep up promises.

Finally, the factory that Mike was working at had financial problems and shut down. Weighing everything - the problems we had versus the money we made (which was right about $.50 an hour considering) we decided to call it quits. Who knows what the future brings. Maybe there will be more frames, maybe not. For the time, it's not.

I still have a few frames to get rid of in 16" and 18" and am selling them cheap.

The stress that is gone is not missed. I'm riding 5-6 days a week and not feeling guilty. I should be much faster this year than last. It will be a good year.

So I retire the name TwoCircles Tim. Now I'm just joneSS.

Hope that clears up things.

Tim

glyphic bacon

Sorry to see 2 Circles go...

Thats too bad Tim, sorry to hear about Two Circles passing. I always liked your frame and strongly considered buying one. As far as I know there isn't one quite like yours available, being a light Al with EBB. I thought it filled a good niche, being that I'm partial to Al frames and like the EBB concept.

I've always heard making and selling frames is a labor of love and very, very few end up making a serious living out of it. Even those fortunate few I think also had a bit of lucky timing on their side to some extent (i.e. if Gary Fisher was 20 years younger I dont think he would be the Gary Fisher we know today)....not to diminish their accomplishments, but being first in something and in the right place and time when a new market is ripe makes a BIG diff. (as with Bill Gates circa 1982)

Anyway, sorry to see you guys go. Let us know if you decide to jump back into it someday. Happy trails....

Paintbucket
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by joneSS
    A good, honest response.
    Way to be. Where's that thumbs up icon when I need it?
    Zippy for president

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Two Circles

Tim,

Sorry to hear Two Circles are not around. I spoke to you awhile ago about your frames when you first started. And we have traded goods on Ebay. What are you sellling the remaining frames for? Are they painted? You can respond privately at solarart@aol.com

Thanks
    Chris

The Top Cap Guy
    I still have a few frames to get rid of in 16" and 18" and am selling them cheap.
    Tim

Shoot me an email or PM - I'll take one off your hands!

Thanks
    Fred

fastfreddyfour at yahoo dot com
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

highly visible
    Hey Tim, sorry to hear it. Your bikes sure had a great reputation, and the examples I saw were spectacularly light. It's something I do sometimes think about when I have to sling my 27.5 pound Karate Monkey over my shoulder.

Well, we all have to make choices. Sounds like you're doing what works best for you, and no one can argue with that. Have a great race season!

- Dan

Master of the Obvious

Looking for frame

Tim , It is cool that you choose to Quit the bike biz. I believe in quality of life too, after all we get one go around. I was looking at your frames earlier in the year I would still be interested in a 18" please shoot me a price at robbpedals@earthlink.net thanks!
    No, we are no longer in business. To make a long story short, and clear up a few things:

Two Circles was started a few years ago by Crazy Mike and I. He had the frame manufacturing background and I knew about singlespeeding. We went into business and started making frames. They were produced in the factory that Mike worked his day job at - making tandems. They were nice frames. I like mine very much. Other people like theirs as well.

So what's the problem? Our customer service was not what it should have been. We were both trying to work full time jobs other than Two Circles, train and race (successfully - he was state champ singlespeeder in 2002, and I in 2003), and still have a life. Something had to give, and it couldn't be our jobs that paid the rent, riding is fun as hell, and you can't give up on other parts of life. So sometimes the company came after that. That wasn't fair to our customers. We aren't bad guys, but sometimes we sucked to do business with.

A lot of times, even with the best intentions, we were slower than we should have been. With a couple customers it was embarassingly bad and I wasn't prould of it, but there seemed to be too many things that were not in my control to have a good turnaround. When you tell someone they will have a frame in two weeks, and the powdercoater has it for four, it's hard to keep up promises.

Finally, the factory that Mike was working at had financial problems and shut down. Weighing everything - the problems we had versus the money we made (which was right about $.50 an hour considering) we decided to call it quits. Who knows what the future brings. Maybe there will be more frames, maybe not. For the time, it's not.

The stress that is gone is not missed. I'm riding 5-6 days a week and not feeling guilty. I should be much faster this year than last. It will be a good year.

So I retire the name TwoCircles Tim. Now I'm just joneSS.

Hope that clears up things.

Tim

rejected

Idea!

I may be intrested in one too... a blue 16"...
    shoot me a price @ gspotbike84@hotmail.com, or private message me..
    thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    hey, I would maybe interested in a frame ,18, if you still have one around! How much you looking at?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good luck Tim

Sorry to see Two Circles go. Your bikes always looked to me like they would be a fast and fun ride.

Have a great racing season!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Frames

You have a PM.....

mtbr member

Sorry to hear about this. I considered one too and was told by Web Cyclery that they did not know if they would see any more. I bought a 1FG.

I am curious.... what if any royalties are involved with use of the EBB?

Mike

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hi Tim,

Thanks for the detailed info. Sorry to hear about the demise of the company, but I'm glad to hear you're feeling good about the stress relief that the chain of events led to for you.

Just out of curiousity, what tandem company were you referring to? I'm into tandeming as well, and I'm just curious.

Happy riding,
    Craig
    * Soulcraft Plowboy SS/fixxie
    * Steelman Eurocross 525 fixxie/SS
    * Custom-built Haro BMX tandem for the kids

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear about Two Circles Tim. Very nice frames. Out of curiousity, and perhaps when I get my tax check back, what are the going rates for a 16 incher? Shoot me an email whenever you get the chance or reply here as there are many other inquiring minds abound.

James

progre-ss AT singlespeed DOT net
    A good friend will come bail you out of jail.
    But a true friend will be sitting next to you saying
    "Damn... we fcuked up!"

mtbr member

Frames

C'est la vie. I would like to know how much the frames are. I would like a 16" in blue as well. Please email me at kcooney@co.riverside.ca.us.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Frames are spoken for.

I only had one 16" and one 18", and there may be another 18" at Mike's.

I have received many messages wanting them. Damn... Who knew...

rejected

New question here.

what are the frames going for...??

The Top Cap Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by gspot
    what are the frames going for...??
    $600 shipped....
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hey guys, I bought an 18" Two Circles Cycloid. Frame and paint are in excellent shape. Is anybody familiar with what size eccentric BB shell or insert I have? It's wobbly and a little roached from overtightening. I know- get calipers. They're in the mail now, was wondering if anybody had tips on what might work.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rideabike06 View Post
    Hey guys, I bought an 18" Two Circles Cycloid. Frame and paint are in excellent shape. Is anybody familiar with what size eccentric BB shell or insert I have? It's wobbly and a little roached from overtightening. I know- get calipers. They're in the mail now, was wondering if anybody had tips on what might work.
    Thanks
    It is an Easton that measures 54.8mm. I believe this is the part: TANDEM ECCENTRIC "ONLY" EASTON :: BOTTOM BRACKETS :: Nova Cycles Supply Inc.

They were machined down to take a good amount of weight out of them. I have a spare one that looks like it was tested in a frame - only one set of marks from the set screws. Private message me if you are interested in it.