Dozer

Does SS cause numbness in hands?

Quick backstory - I rode a hardtail 29er set up 1x10 for a few years. Then I built a full-suspension 29er set up the same way. Almost immediately thereafter my hardtail sat, unloved, in the basement while I was exclusively riding my Tallboy LT. I converted the HT to SS a few weeks ago, leaving all the other components and setup identical to before.
    When riding the HT as a geared bike, I've never had any trouble with hand numbness. But curiously, since changing it to a SS I have experienced a little bit of a different numb sensation in my hands. Has anyone else had this happen? So far, I'm just chalking it up to the vastly different way your body moves around the bike on a SS compared to a geared bike.
    I swapped out the grips from ODI Ruffian to the thicker/softer Ruffian MX for now. Any other suggestions are welcome. I'm really loving the SS experience as a whole so far!

mtbr member
    Can't say I noticed more numbness on my SS bikes than I did on a geared bike. In fact, I think I may have had less but I think that's for the reason you stated...because I ride it differently. Off the seat a lot more and moving around the cockpit more than on a geared bike where I tend to sit and spin more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    more numbness in the hands and feet... yes, makes sense because you are applying a lot more force to your pedals and handlebars going up those climbs...

I wish I had a bit more numbness in my thighs climbing
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

Dozer
    That is kind of what I was hoping. I'll have to remind myself to relax at the bars a little bit more.
    Handlebars, that is.

mtbr member
    Increased numbness due to rigid, not due to single speed.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

DFMBA.org

Does SS cause numbness in hands?

I haven't experienced real numbness until I purchased a SS (with stock crappy grips) but I'm switching out the entire cockpit. I'm hoping a shorter stem, wider bars and Ergon grips will help things a bit. If this doesn't work, I'm going to try a carbon bar.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Not sure how SS would cause more numbness in the hands. Usually this is due to poor fit, saddle position, or week core. I've had issues like this but found that core work, good fit and posture is key. Do you find yourself putting weight on your bars? Hands should be light on the bars. Good luck!

Dozer
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieshowcase View Post
    Not sure how SS would cause more numbness in the hands. Usually this is due to poor fit, saddle position, or week core. I've had issues like this but found that core work, good fit and posture is key. Do you find yourself putting weight on your bars? Hands should be light on the bars. Good luck!
    I rode this bike for a few years as a geared bike before switching it over to single. I never had any trouble before.
    As a follow-up, I only had that sensation after the first 2, maybe 3 rides. I switched the grips to something a little thicker (ODI Ruffian MX), and I've been concentrating on riding with a lighter hold on the handlebars. No problems since adjusting those things!

DFMBA.org
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieshowcase View Post
    I think its partly due to gripping hard on the climbs and a poor quality cockpit. I'm too committed to this sport to let a little hand numbness deter me from the REAL pain of singlespeeding..
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Poor bike fit can cause numbness in your hands. Might also want to relax that grip. However singlespeed riding can 'cause your legs to get ripped which isn't all that bad.

Dorkimus Prime
    I think vibration is often the culprit for hand numbness. Often it is a cumulative effect. My guess is that the HT just knocks you around more than the VPP. Also, you've got a few more years of riding on those arms.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

Portable Audio Nerd,...
    I bought a cheap set of Diamondback Max 2D Comfort Bicycle Grips. I was getting the numbness in my hands due to harder riding, but this type of grip solved the problem. I think any halfway decent ergonomic bicycle hand grip should suffice.
    I ride to feel alive!!!