mtbr member
    Dec 2016

Does the gravity 29er single speed have good alignment?

I mentioned in another post how i bought a steel single speed road bike from bikes direct and the dropouts were noticeably sloppy construction.

That was a 230$ bike.

But i wanted to know if the gravity 29er single speed from bikes direct has a good track record for reasonable frame construction.

Has anyone out there got one yet that is a lemon?.

They are 350$ and that should be enough to get something that will be reasonable, especially for a single speed.

I have a motobecane outcast 29er mtb and that thing has lasted forever and has gone through hell to get to heaven.

And is still going strong.

Are the old bikes from BD better or worse than the new stuff?.

BD says that they are better if anything than the old stuff.

should i trust a Gravity over a Motobecane?.

***** lurker
    You may want to refer to the existing forum: Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?

But here's my take:
    I purchased the Gravity G29FS a few years ago when I was experimenting w/ the whole single-speed riding thing. It was a fun bike & I've done upgrades to it over time, though the fork was the first thing to replace for any serious trail riding use. Otherwise, the rest of the bike was very capable. I was really surprised by the tires, thinking they would be next on the list to replace, but found them to be fast rolling & gripped really well and the cheap WTB wheels were also easy to setup tubeless (gorilla tape hack). While I no longer have the bike, I still have PR's from it that I have yet to beat using my other bikes.

As far as alignment goes, I had no problems, esp with the original wheels w/ bolt-on axles. However, when I switched to a Stan's wheelset with QR's, the QR's just couldn't hold the rear wheel straight on rough trails or heavy torque from the pedals. I eventually had to get some decent chain tensioners and everything was great again.
    Does the gravity 29er single speed have good alignment?-2013-09-24-8-.jpg

Regarding Motobecane vs Gravity - when I compare geometry numbers & looks, I much prefer the Motobecane's over the Gravity. Though the G29FS was the exception for me.. I thought it was a looker! Otherwise, the rest of the Gravity line just looks goofy to me for some reason. The Motobecane line, on the other hand, just looks more modern. But the Gravity has been through Downieville and other places I take my full-sus bikes & it has held up to the abuse.

2017 Chiner 29er (XC-race bike)
    2017 Specialized Turbo Levo

2012 Canfield Jedi
    (DH bike)
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    (fatbike)
    2011 Raleigh Renevio (road bike)
    2011 Giant Reign
    (my primary Trail bike)

mtbr member
    Did you send the bime with the sloppy dropouts back ? For a bike that cheap, you can expect that it won't have the most sophistocated construction, bit of it is plainly defective, I am sure BD would sort that out for you.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I also do hope it fits in the 21" frame size.

I am 6.4 but only with certain shoes. Otherwise i am 6.3 to 6.3 and a half.

The size chart says upto 6.5 so i hope i can trust it to fit at least around as good as the outcast does.

But they may really be different than the Motobecanes.

Would a Gravity run smaller?.

With 29er wheels they might run a little bigger.

There is a Gravity 650b SS which has a height range of 6.1 to 6.3 for the 21" frame size.

BD told me that the 29er has a longer top tube and that is why it could handle a little taller rider.

But that's only for body reach more than leg length right?.

Also heard the gravity does not have a very long seat stem to begin with.

Is there any way me being 6.3 and a half would not fit?.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Did you send the bime with the sloppy dropouts back ? For a bike that cheap, you can expect that it won't have the most sophistocated construction, bit of it is plainly defective, I am sure BD would sort that out for you.
    Yes they took it back and am glad they didn't deduct from the refund.

Whatever you do just SAVE THE BOX!!!.

If i get a Gravity that is sloppy frame work then i would take it to my bike store and get a measurement and if it is off, then i send the picture to them and have them send an exchange of the same thing.

And hope that most of them are made by people who are paid enough to pay any attention.

The harsh reality could be however that they are made by slaves or prisoners or something like that?.

Walmart bikes probably are a slave operation.

they might even get shot if they stopped working.

Or they could always be kids??.

You could certainly say that the kids toy store toys are made by kids for kids.

Can Walmart huffys and schwinns be made in the same factory as treks and giants?.

mtbr member
    I think you need to chill out and just buy something different. your analysis of bicycle manufacturing is misinformed, so go read up on how and where frames are made. you had a bad experience with BD that sent you into this absurd rant. put your tin-foil hat away, learn from that experience and move on.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky