mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Does the bike weight matter?

As I was riding my usual trail today:

(middle run about 13 miles)
    Since I have two bikes, I have the luxury of comparing the two. Well I noticed that my lighter bike (exhibit B) is significantly faster than my heavier bike (exhibit A). Both bikes are geared somewhat similarly for the trail; exhibit A is 32x16 and B is 34x18. My weight did not change much between the two rides. Pictures of exhibits:
    Exhibit A:

Surly 1x1 is about 31lbs (39x16 pictured here)

Exhibit B:

GT Lightning is about 23lbs

The difference is about 8lbs, does this really matter? Or does the GT just have a better XC geometry than Surly? Or did I just have a good ride today and should just STFU. I am curious to see what everyone else experience is like when going to a lighter bike.
    Friends don't let friends ride geared bikes

mtbr member
    I'd certainly think that weight would matter. But at the same time, the second half of my rides I'm usually faster because I'm warmed up. It takes me as long as 3 miles on the dirt to loosen up and get warm to the point that the pains go away. My guess is it's some of both in your case.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    STFU and ride, you sound like those Nancy's over on RBR

Give that Surly some lovin and lighten i it up! You have a awesome frame, revamp it with some cool parts and itll shed weight nicely!
    ACCESS Stealth 3.0 carbon 29'er
    GT-R Pro
    Surly 1x1
    Surly Disc Trucker

Perpetual n00b
    Which one is more fun to ride?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
    If you gorge yourself into morbid obesity, you can skip everyone else in line at Disney World.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Bike "B" is lighter with a taller gear ratio, of course it's going too ride faster. I say enjoy both bikes!

Dive Bomber
    From my experience total weight doesn't matter, only the wheelset weight and tire treads matter.

Weight different is noticeable when you push or lift the bike, when pedaling mostly are the same.

DTP
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    why weight matters:
    wheelsets : noticed the most significant improvement. (climbing, acceleration out of corners and overall handling)

drivetrain : didnt notice any improvement (theoretically it should contribute to better acceleration)

frame : improvements in climbing and acceleration can be noticed. most notable contribution is in handling. turns into switchbacks quicker and it makes the bike more intuitive.

just my .02

BTW i ride a 29er!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    Which one is more fun to ride?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
    The GT is hands down more fun

Quote Originally Posted by 4SEVEN3 View Post
    STFU and ride, you sound like those Nancy's over on RBR

Give that Surly some lovin and lighten i it up! You have a awesome frame, revamp it with some cool parts and itll shed weight nicely!
    I don't want to spend anymore monies on bikes

Quote Originally Posted by jackspade View Post
    From my experience total weight doesn't matter, only the wheelset weight and tire treads matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by DTP View Post
    why weight matters:
    wheelsets : noticed the most significant improvement. (climbing, acceleration out of corners and overall handling)
    I think you guys are right, bike B has Chris King hubs with light weight rims, while bike A has generic shimano hubs and rims.

mtbr member
    The Surly will always be a tad bit heavier because it is steel, at least as far as the frameset goes. But like stated already, that 1x1 is a great platform to make something great. For you this isn't really a concern between both of your bikes because the frame sizes are the same, but when you get bigger frames they get heavier lol That Surly may be worth putting a little money into, I've got my 22" 1x1 down to ~25lbs and haven't spent that much on it. And that's a lot of steel! Or at least maybe swap wheelsets and see how that works out for you.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'd bet 8lbs makes quite a difference in speed and fun factor.

My Surly 1x1 is about 23 1/2 lbs (with a suspension fork). Components are pretty good, but rim brakes make it easier to get the weight down without breaking the bank. I know some people hate rim brakes but I try to brake as little as possible and avoid huge climbs (and therefore downhills) when riding my SS so rim brakes are fine for me.

REALLY?
    What the other guy said about wheels (lighter=faster) - and I've owned both bikes myself (and still own my GT), the GT is by far the superior bike (even though my Surly was a 29er).

Mine.

Does the bike weight matter?-199168_108146765934034_100002161347529_78755_7503405_n.jpg

Does the bike weight matter?-286388_152177408197636_100002161347529_307578_215632_o.jpg
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I would take the parts from the gt and try them on the surly and see what is better.
    2011 Kona unit with some carbon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by b0mb3r View Post
    As I was riding my usual trail today:
    Nice! I was out there with a buddy yesterday too. Beautiful conditions. Just my second time there but I was very impressed with the flow.

Here's my map, looks very similar. I just aquired a singlespeed this past week but after riding it at the Wiss the day before, I decided I didn't have the legs yet to ride it efficiently. So I took the hardtail with gears (and suspension fork!) down since it is a longish drive for me.

Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i am confused. you have a lighter bike which you say you like better and is faster. and then you have your heavier slower bike...

why have both exactly? i'd say take your hard earned monies make one nice bike as opposed to keeping two which seem to serve the same purpose... that said i'd keep the second around as a loaner/backup/parts bike so your always ready to ride.

or put gears on one? i dunno...

i do jonze to get back to middle run soon (so fun)! i live in philly but i can't get out to travel to ride anymore so nowadays i pretty much just pedal endless wiss loops (not that i am complaining).

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgothro View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	286388_152177408197636_100002161347529_307578_215632_o.jpg 
Views:	548 
Size:	159.0 KB 
ID:	698185
    Nice GT Lightning, mine is the same thing, great frame all I can say.

Quote Originally Posted by joshhan View Post
    Nice! I was out there with a buddy yesterday too. Beautiful conditions. Just my second time there but I was very impressed with the flow.

Here's my map, looks very similar. I just aquired a singlespeed this past week but after riding it at the Wiss the day before, I decided I didn't have the legs yet to ride it efficiently. So I took the hardtail with gears (and suspension fork!) down since it is a longish drive for me.
    Nice, did you go through the skills section? That trail is made for single speeding, it basically converted me from gears to SS...

Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill View Post
    i am confused. you have a lighter bike which you say you like better and is faster. and then you have your heavier slower bike...

why have both exactly? i'd say take your hard earned monies make one nice bike as opposed to keeping two which seem to serve the same purpose... that said i'd keep the second around as a loaner/backup/parts bike so your always ready to ride.

or put gears on one? i dunno...

i do jonze to get back to middle run soon (so fun)! i live in philly but i can't get out to travel to ride anymore so nowadays i pretty much just pedal endless wiss loops (not that i am complaining).
    Put gears? not sure if serious I guess that's what surly has really turned into, is my urban cruiser/loaner...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jackspade View Post

Weight different is noticeable when you push or lift the bike, when pedaling mostly are the same.
    IDK, I think total weight matters, especially body weight. I can usually hang with faster riders on the climbs, but I still believe dropping overall weight (bike and body) would help. I tell guys that if they want to know how it feels to climb with my weight, strap on a 30-40lb bag to their back and go climb.

I'm in good shape, but dropping overall weight ANYWHERE would produce an advantage. Improving the wheelset and tires really helps, but shaving weight here and there with getting down to "fighting weight" works wonders.

mtbr member

Surly 1x1 is about 31lbs (39x16 pictured here)
    Do you trail ride with those beverages in your bottle cages?
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    are those hydraulic v-brakes on the surly?
    Something wrong with your bike? Blame it on super human strength and sleep well at night knowing you are more than a man.

Low Rep Count
    ^^^Yep, look like the old Maguras for sure!

I'm a bit of a weight weenie or at least like to think that I am. Having just put on some new lighter wheels on my bike I basically dropped about 1.5 lbs. Honestly, I can't really feel it. Some people say they can but I just can't. Theoretically they should spin up faster but in my case, I also went from an 18t on the old wheels to a 17t on the new ones. So any sort of spin up certainly feels negated right now.

My bike weighs in at about 19.5 lbs with the new wheels. In the winter it was at about 21.5 or so with meatier tires on it. I will say it rolls faster in its current set up but that is because of tread design and not weight.

The bottom line here is that at a certain point in the bike weight, you really don't feel much of a difference any more. Don't get me wrong, If there is a 10 lb difference between the two bikes I would think you could feel that. But the bottom line is just get out there and ride! If anything the extra weight will help to make you stronger!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The time I most appreciate the low-20's-lb weight of my bike is when I'm off it and pushing it uphill.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    Do you trail ride with those beverages in your bottle cages?
    Oh no, that was a cruise around the beach with my wife What can I say I like my coffee

Quote Originally Posted by ZXFT View Post
    yup, they are not really old though, I bought them brand new last year, best brakes ever if you don't take weight into consideration...

mtbr member

Sucks riding up hill..... Super fun Riding downhill. 32:18 6" front travel steel frame with slack angle

Nice and easy riding up hill, not so much on the downhill. 22:11 rigid aluminum frame classic old school XC angles

It depends on how I feel and where I am riding. I push the 32:18 much more than the other one.
    To love me is to rep me, world domination is eminent/imminent/immanent.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    yup, they are not really old though, I bought them brand new last year, best brakes ever if you don't take weight into consideration...
    Im not hating on them, hydro vees were the trials standard before super powerful DH disc brakes. Many trials riders still use them.
    Something wrong with your bike? Blame it on super human strength and sleep well at night knowing you are more than a man.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZXFT View Post
    [pedant alert]Hydraulic rim brakes, not "V" brakes, which is just Shimano's term for linear pull brakes.[/pedant alert]