mtbr member

Do you walk or wait?

What do you think is a better workout when you can't finish a climb? Do you walk it or wait until you catch your breath, then try to ride the rest?
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

I'm really diggin it!
    I walk. But I don't care about workout quality. The goal is to get to the top of the downhill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cycologist
    Try to ride it!
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    If I have to stop, I catch my breath and keep riding.

mtbr member
    depends on the situation. ifthe trail has just gotten too chuncky and I can't hold a line or get any momentum or traction, walking is the only way. no point in abusing yourself trying to climb when all your mojo is gone.

if it's just a really long hill, conquering it on your pedals is way more satisfying.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

mtbr member
    Depends on why I'm riding the hill.

If I'm going somewhere I'll walk the bike.

If I was trying to see if I could clean the hill I'll wait until I have got my breath back and I'll usually look for something to put down as a marker so the next time I know what I have to beat.

I never think in terms of a workout when I on the bike, that's an incidental to having fun,
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

MTB B'dos
    Pretty much all the time (there are a few exceptions I just fvck it and walk) I will stop and catch my breath, once it's that that stopped me and not that it got so crazy steep/technical it is un-rideable.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    My honest suggestion is to do whichever is more fun! If you hike, you are building cardio. If your wait and then ride, you are building muscles (think about resting between sets if you have ever been a weight lifter). Both are better than sitting on the couch like I am now .

If you want to think about hypotheticals, and this is going down the rabbit hole, but if you are talking about absolutely optimizing singlespeed training...

If you are riding up hills to failure all of the time, that is not ideal.

Based on the training theory I've read (and avoiding complex topics like periodization), for maximal endurance, we should be spending the majority of the time riding at a low effort and low heart rate. Then, occasionally, like once a week or so, we should be training at very high intensity.

These days I'm too lazy to plan my training that much. I hate gears unless I am touring, so I ride my singlespeed road bike daily with a spinny gear and reserve the singlespeed mountain bike for the painful dirt rides. It works okay for me. My worst racing seasons have been when I've overdone it on intensity.

There was this pro I met at my first 24 hour race. We were both in the solo singlespeed category, and he said he did all of his training on his singlespeed mountain bike. Dude was an amazing rider, so it is possible! I'm guessing he was very methodical on gearing choices and selecting terrain. He also told me that he once finished the last 40 miles of a race with a snapped seatpost, so maybe he is just a machine?

mtbr member
    I walk unless I'm waiting for others to regroup or I need to get water, food or tools, and it's a good place to stop. Once your foot hits ground, the pride of 'making the climb' is gone. I might as well be making forward progress so I get on with the ride.

Even if you ride a portion, stop, rest, and continue to the top you can't claim you 'rode the whole thing'.
    Riding a whole climb in a single go vs. resting midway is an important distinction on a singlespeed where half the ride is about 'power management' and not blowing up and stalling out.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Yeah, why not?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post
    Riding a whole climb in a single go vs. resting midway is an important distinction on a singlespeed where half the ride is about 'power management' and not blowing up and stalling out.
    This^^

It took me a few years, and some suggestions, but I am a firm believer now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    depends on the situation. ifthe trail has just gotten too chuncky and I can't hold a line or get any momentum or traction, walking is the only way. no point in abusing yourself trying to climb when all your mojo is gone.

if it's just a really long hill, conquering it on your pedals is way more satisfying.
    same here.

If I stopped because the trail got too steep or I failed on tech move I will tend to walk that steep/tech bit as getting going from stop is near impossible. Then hop on ride again when I am past that spot. If I stopped because I just got tired then I will rest up and ride on. The exception is in a race or some other event where I want to get to the top either fast or want to conserve energy for later.

I have walked long steepish hills on my geared bike when on long bikepacking trips where I wanted to conserve and not burn matches now that I needed later. In short races I also make choices to run up rather than take the time to get back on the bike and start pedaling. Sometimes it is just faster to run it rather than blow up again later. However most of the time I ride as much as I can.
    Joe
    '12 Santa Cruz Highball 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5",Vassago Verhauen SS 29" XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post
    Coming from years of geared riding this a key in Singlespeed. You have to learn to mange effort. There are places in most climbs when you can "rest" where the grade changes and you back off a bit so that for the next pitch up you have the power to get through it. The tough part is that it almost always easier to climb stuff going faster since more ground speed makes the gear feel easier. The challenge is more ground speed means more effort so it not that easy to do. Effort management is such a big deal. With a geared bike your effort is pretty much constant, but you speed and gearing is adjusted to match the terrain. On SS you need to match your effort to the terrain.
    Joe
    '12 Santa Cruz Highball 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5",Vassago Verhauen SS 29" XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.