mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Do you think this will make a sweet singlespeed??

got it cheap on eBay, and I have a polished (old school) mongoose rigid fork to put on it...

most of the other parts are take off from my upgraded geared HT

http://i2.ebayimg.com/02/i/04/8b/39/ab_1_b.JPG

Steamroller

It should be pretty cool

It will look really cool.....or at least unique Hopefully it will ride nice also. It looks like you may have some decent adjustability with the rear drop-outs. Hopefully you can run without a chain tensioner. Be sure to post pics here when it's done
    [SIZE=2]Two Wheeled and Too Big[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattman
    It will look really cool.....or at least unique Hopefully it will ride nice also. It looks like you may have some decent adjustability with the rear drop-outs. Hopefully you can run without a chain tensioner. Be sure to post pics here when it's done

I will post pics for sure...

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by mp29k
    got it cheap on eBay, and I have a polished (old school) mongoose rigid fork to put on it...

most of the other parts are take off from my upgraded geared HT

http://i2.ebayimg.com/02/i/04/8b/39/ab_1_b.JPG
    It all depends on how hard you ride it.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Updated build info

The build will be as follows:

Caloi Super Cruz tang colored frame (see link below)
    Matrix 550 rims and generic hubs (old bike takeoff)
    Mongoose rigid (4130 cro-mo) fork
    Kore light silver stem (100mm)
    Race Face silver 175mm crank arms (ISIS)
    Ritchey Expert silver seatpost
    32t Blackspire SS ring
    red alloy chainring bolts
    red alloy top cap
    red alloy valve stem caps
    red alloy riser bar (680mm wide)
    ruffian odi lock ons
    Bontrager Revolt SS tires
    black promax v-Brakes (take off)
    Avid Speed dial 5 black and silver levers

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Question regarding this build

The bike was originally spec'd as a 1x7 w/ a 118mm BB spindle length, and 41t single ring... do you think I could get away with a 32T Ring, and a 113mm spindle length? or do you think I would make contact with the driveside chainstay??

Also, so you think that I could avoid using a tensioner considering the dropouts are semi-horizontal??

Steamroller

No tensioner

I think you should be good without a tensioner. As for the spindle length, 113 works out well on most bikes with a 68mm BB shell, but that is not a real typical looking bike. If you still have the longer spindle you may be able to guestimate, based on the clearance it has, if a smaller ring and shorter spindle will work. Your are only looking a 5mm or 2.5 mm per side difference. What will you use for a rear hub, if there is some adjustability there, as in a cassette hub, spindle length is less critical.
    [SIZE=2]Two Wheeled and Too Big[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

The Frame And Cranks Arrived

Looking @ the frame dropouts I will definetely not need a tensioner... too bad I already have one on the way...

Anyone need a Singleator? e-mail me

as for the frame, it is a nineteen inch, but unfortunately the smallest noneteen Inch bike I have ever seen... shoulod make for an interesting setup... will look a little like a BMX bike with the handlebars I am using, and the ruffian grips... can't wait to set it up!

Another question.... the rear hub that I have does not fit into the dropous very well... it seems like I would need to "spread" her legs a little to force it in... I refused to do that, but on my hub it looks like there is a little spacer that I could remove (on the non drive side, between the fixing bolt and the hub shell... is this accurate? I know nothing about hubs but looking at it that seems to be the case... anyone have hubs that have a removeable spacer?

Finally the majority of the components are as follows, I think it is gonna look sweet, and should be pretty light.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

The Frame And Cranks Arrived

Looking @ the frame dropouts I will definetely not need a tensioner... too bad I already have one on the way...

as for the frame, it is a nineteen inch, but unfortunately the smallest nineteen Inch bike I have ever seen... should make for an interesting setup... will look a little like a BMX bike with the handlebars I am using, and the ruffian grips... can't wait to set it up!

Another question.... the rear hub that I have does not fit into the dropouts very well... it seems like I would need to "spread" her legs a little to force it in... I refused to do that, but on my hub it looks like there is a little spacer that I could remove (on the non drive side, between the fixing bolt and the hub shell... is this accurate? I know nothing about hubs but looking at it that seems to be the case... anyone have hubs that have a removeable spacer?

Finally the majority of the components are as follows, I think it is gonna look sweet, and should be pretty light.

you go ahead
    Feb 2005

For how much?

mtbr member
    Another question.... the rear hub that I have does not fit into the dropous very well... it seems like I would need to "spread" her legs a little to force it in... I refused to do that, but on my hub it looks like there is a little spacer that I could remove (on the non drive side, between the fixing bolt and the hub shell... is this accurate? I know nothing about hubs but looking at it that seems to be the case... anyone have hubs that have a removeable spacer?
    I believe the spacing on those old bikes was 126mm (5-6spd) vs the 135mm current standard. Remove the spacer and wedge it in there, how big is the spacer? Shouldn't be a problem stretching out a steel frame a bit.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

It is not steel

It is an AL frame from '98 that had a 7 speed cassette in the rear. maybe it just got bent in shipping :-(

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Bump!

All the parts are in cept the chain... planning to build her up on Monday night... cannot wait

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Thanks

Are you a clyde?? I was thinking about taking the brace off... would this make it stronger or weaker?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey man,

Everything looks cool, but IMHO those Club Roost bars are death traps. I had one of those bars with the cross brace, cracked them on my 4th ride. Got a free replacement (which was nice on the customer service tip), but ripped the replacement in half 3 or 4 rides later. Ugh... I had VERY bad luck with those bars... both broke at the clamping points for the cross brace (the brace was not over-torked... came installed from the factory).

I know that those bars match your color scheme, but I'd seriously reconsider. Go Azonic Doublewalls in that crazy red color.

Again, just my experience, but something to think about.

Sean

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Club rOOST bARS

THEY DON'T EVEN FIT!!!!! THE BAR IS TOO SMALL TO FIT A STANDARD (25.4mm) STEM!!!

Anyone know of a size smaller that 25.4? This is irritating because the product was clearly advertised as an MTN Bike bar, and no size stem diameter was listed. I assumed 25.4... guess that is what happens when you assume :-(

mtbr member
    THEY DON'T EVEN FIT!!!!! THE BAR IS TOO SMALL TO FIT A STANDARD (25.4mm) STEM!!!

Anyone know of a size smaller that 25.4? This is irritating because the product was clearly advertised as an MTN Bike bar, and no size stem diameter was listed. I assumed 25.4... guess that is what happens when you assume :-(
    sounds like the bar is missing a shim... some bars are 7/8" diameter and require a shim to fit the stem... check with a local bike shop.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

finished.... didn't have light to take good pics.

She is a beaut... seems a little small for me, but just in the length of the cockpit. I guess a little bit longer stem is in order...

PICS to follow tommorow am.

The seller on eBay that screwed up the bars is sending me the correct ones

I need all your opinions... Since it is a Beach Cruiser frame anyway and I will use it for some around town errands, do you think a rear rack would be cool???

mtbr member

i believe that some BMX stems will fit the smaller bars...i had the same problem with some steel bontrager crowbars...