mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Do you run a bash guard?

I just finished up my ss conversion I'm just waiting for some new grips to come in and to clean it up before posting pictures but I was wondering how many of you ran bashguards on your singlespeeds. I have always run one while I had the bike geared and I currently have it setup without one. I like the way it looks I just wondered what the pro's and con's to running one on a single speed setup would be.

Apr 2007
    Pros/cons would be the same regardless of gear set up. I don't run one, because I rarely ever scrape. (can't remember the last time I hit my chainring) but then again, I'm not as hard core as some of you.

Did I catch a niner+?
    I do. I scrap all the time with these stupid rocks, the BBG I have bends pretty easy though (aluminum) I did get it bent back enough to not hit my chainring but if it bends again it goes.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    I do simply because my new Truvativ crankset came with it on and I didn't feel like getting singlespeed chainring bolts to remove and replace it. What's the weight savings on something like that anyways...?

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47
    I do simply because my new Truvativ crankset came with it on and I didn't feel like getting singlespeed chainring bolts to remove and replace it. What's the weight savings on something like that anyways...?
    AK! No caring about weight!

I don't run a bash because I suck enough that I don't warrant one. Though, truth be told, I went on a ride a little while back where a guy bent his chainring going over a log I also went over. I might consider one if ISAR makes a 110bcd bashguard(subtle hint).

Dive Bomber
    I do.

It's really protect my legs and the chainring or any of my body parts since sometime I have to push or even lift the bike and I don't want get hurt by any pointy parts of my bike.

mtbr member
    I don't use a bashguard because I've found that having one fitted only encourages all sorts of crap to collect between it and the sprocket, especially in wet conditions (75% of the year then...). I find that the chain does a pretty good job for sprocket (and leg) protection, and with a 32 tooth sprocket you've already got a lot of clearance anyway.
    If I rode somewhere that was predominately dry and rocky then I might consider using one but where I live the riding is full of peat bogs, moorland and rooty forest singletrack.
    I use a Middleburn Uno , so I couldn't fit one anyway....
    I do use one on a geared bike that I have in Greece, but there it is plenty rocky and as I'm using a 2x9 set-up, when I'm in the granny the larger chainring is more vulnerable than on a singlespeed .

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I run one, as do most of the DirtBrothers. It makes sense from a chainring/chain protection standpoint and can help prevent getting stuck on obstacles, depending on design.

My setup is dinglespeed (can I still be in your club!?) so that I have a road gear for the 10 miles to and from the trails, and the perfect trail gear as well. For me, the bashguard (BBG 34t) protects the somewhat fragile, easily-bent Surly stainless rings I use. In the trail gear, the 34t "road gear" is exposed and would bend if I used it to grind over logs/rocks/other riders.

Yes, stuff collects between the bashguard and the ring, and between the two rings I run, but it's worth the tradeoff for me.

If I only ran one ring and cog (and it was something like an ISAR HBC Ti ring), I'd very likely ditch the bashguard and see how I liked it.

Jeremy
    DirtBrothers PA, est. 2006
    Bound By Dirt

mtbr member
    Bash guards are good for people in rocky regions IMO I like the extra little omph that digging my chainring into downed trees does for me to carry my momentum over the top.

Seriously though, I rarely ever hit my chainring on anything and if I did its on "soft" objects (like trees) that dont threaten to chip/ bend teeth or whatever bash guards protect from.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akpirate
    Bash guards are good for people in rocky regions IMO I like the extra little omph that digging my chainring into downed trees does for me to carry my momentum over the top.
    Only problem is with a SS you can't dig your chainring into logs because there's a chain on it!

As others have said, if you routinely bash your ring into things, a bashguard is a good idea. If not then it's just extra weight to carry around.

Mark

mtbr member
    No bashguard here....but also no rocks either, never had a problem going over downed trees and such.

mtbr member
    my bike came with one. i don't see any point in taking it off.

if you bend your guard, you can always rotate it because 99% of the time when you hit it, it will be under your natural "forward foot" position. for example, my stance is right foot forward. if i bend one side of my 4-bolt guard, i can rotate it 90 degrees and have a fresh side to be bashed.

mtbr member
    I run one - but that's because I ran out of SS chainring bolts and haven't gotten replacements.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    AK! No caring about weight!

I don't run a bash because I suck enough that I don't warrant one. Though, truth be told, I went on a ride a little while back where a guy bent his chainring going over a log I also went over. I might consider one if ISAR makes a 110bcd bashguard(subtle hint).
    +2 for a 110bcd bashguard (anodized purple please)

With my FS I like to make an attempt to get over a log before I lift the bike over. Since I'm still working on my bunnyhop this is quite often a bash onto the bashguard. Now that I'm building my 1st SS I want to put on a bashguard so I can keep up the bashing. Lots of bashing going on here.

Cheers,
    Straw
    Ease & Flow Where Ever I Go

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Yep, I run one, I just always have. I'm pretty sure I don't need it on my ss but there it is anyway.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I run one only becuase it came on my cranks. I have only hit it once on something and even then it wasn't that bad. But I just put a new chain on and its too wide that it hits the bash guard and try's to climb it. How did I find this out? By going over the bars going up hill. I was mashing on it pretty hard and it threw the chain and sent me over the bars instantly. I am taking it off as soon as I get new shorter screws for it.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy R
    I do use one on a geared bike that I have in Greece
    Between the Isle of Man and Greece, I am very jealous of your existence. Used to live in Athens, back in the day.

+1 to wet conditions making bashguards trash collectors.

surly inbred
    +1 to wet conditions making bashguards trash collectors.
    I'm with ya, but don't necessarily see it as a detriment. Brush the chunks off & carry on.

Love my Salsa Tooth Fairy in the chunky Northeast.

mtbr member
    no. aesthetics, and i don't bash my chainring very much.

mtbr member
    Between the Isle of Man and Greece, I am very jealous of your existence. Used to live in Athens, back in the day
    Don't get too jealous, man - yes, we do spend about a third of the year in Greece but I wish that I'd been able to do it twenty tears ago, rather than when I'm staring 60 in the face...
    And the Isle of Man - well, I was just born here.

We always fly in to Athens and try to spend a couple of days there at the beginning and end of each trip. The price of a Mythos in Athens is a shock to the system though , compared to in our village (Platsa, about 60kms south of Kalamata).

I barf on top tubes
    I run a wipperman grinding chain..no need for a bash gaurd.. I run profile racing crank and sprocket so i need a 1/8 chain.. Its heavy but works.. cuts logs in half and shows rocks who is boss.. people look at it and say nothing

I barf on top tubes
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny
    Only problem is with a SS you can't dig your chainring into logs because there's a chain on it!

As others have said, if you routinely bash your ring into things, a bashguard is a good idea. If not then it's just extra weight to carry around.

Mark
    If you run a 1/8 set up get a wipperman bmx grinding chain.. you dont have to worry about your chain

mtbr member
    Yes but it's probably coming off this weekend!

pain is good
    yes, and its saved my chain quite a few times, some people will worry about weight, or not looking right, but if you ride in a area w/ no rock or logs, then you wont need one.

mtbr member
    Yeas I did last season, because it came on the crankset.

This year I am going to run a converted Noir 3.3 crankset, but I won't have a guard. I just need to figure our which singlespeed bolts to get, or spacers...

Members who have read this thread: 1