Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Do you ride clipless or flats?

Just wondering if you prefer flats or clipless for SS and why?

Just Ride
    Clipless. I went clipless early last year and bought my SS this year. So it's natural for me at this point.

I really don't know how I'd manage some of the steeper climbs with flats. It may be cheating, but I do tend to pull up when the going gets grindy. Further more, I also find that it's nice to change from normal pedaling to more of a pull as my legs get tired. Uses different parts of the muscle, or maybe I'm just telling myself that, but it works for me!
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

dvn
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
    Clipless.

I really don't know how I'd manage some of the steeper climbs with flats. It may be cheating, but I do tend to pull up when the going gets grindy. Further more, I also find that it's nice to change from normal pedaling to more of a pull as my legs get tired. Uses different parts of the muscle, or maybe I'm just telling myself that, but it works for me!
    Ditto!

mtbr member
    how many "clipless vs platforms" threads do we need?

I don't mean to be rude, but this topic has been discussed to death and you can find tons of past discussions with a simple search.
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 06-03-2013 at 05:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Clipless for da hills!
    www.getbusylivin.org
    http://www.prairiefireapparel.com

Guardian 2.0
    Redline Monocog Flight 29er SS (for now)

Gotta pay to play
    Flats. With spiky spike teeths on them.

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    More apparently. I just switched from Shimano XT to Look S-Tracks. So far, so good.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    I tried clipless on my SS for a few weeks. I liked it for pedaling but I took a few falls and decided that I'm fine with my Forte Convert pedals and 5.10 shoes. I'll stick to clipless on my roadbike for sure though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Flats.

I've been riding clipless on my road bike for over a year now and I still feel somewhat inhibited by them. I feel a lot more "free" with flats when I'm out on the SS exploring new locations. Maybe at some point I'll go with clipless, but for now I'm happy.

local trails rider
    Clipless. I'm just used to it. A little extra power to make it up some steeper uphills, and I don't get bounced off of the pedals on the washboard sections (matter of skill. I know, I know). I think I have a few mm more ground clearance against the old flat pedals that I have.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Clipless hère...

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Clipless on everything for over a decade.

Hardcore Bike-Path Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    a LOT of 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelscott View Post
    Flats. With spiky spike teeths on them.
    Agree wholeheartedly.
    Bring it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Both depends on how I feel that day. Currently have flats mounted up.

Just Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymouseTech View Post
    I tried clipless on my SS for a few weeks. I liked it for pedaling but I took a few falls and decided that I'm fine with my Forte Convert pedals and 5.10 shoes. I'll stick to clipless on my roadbike for sure though.
    Thats funny I won't go clipless on my road bike for 3 reasons:

#1. (most importantly) falling on pavement f*ing hurts!

#2. I don't want to spend the money on yet another pair of pedals/shoes, especially when I ride the road far less than MTB.

#3. I might like to use my road bike as a form of transportation form time to time and can't be bothered to have to take a change of shoes along.

mtbr member
    Clipless. Don't see a good reason to go any other way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
    Thats funny I won't go clipless on my road bike for 3 reasons:

#1. (most importantly) falling on pavement f*ing hurts!

#2. I don't want to spend the money on yet another pair of pedals/shoes, especially when I ride the road far less than MTB.

#3. I might like to use my road bike as a form of transportation form time to time and can't be bothered to have to take a change of shoes along.
    Some thoughts...

#1 - If you unclip first, you won't fall down. This has worked for me.

#2 - I ride Time ATAC XS pedals on my road and cx bike so I can just wear my regular mtb shoes.

#3 - You got me on this one ...

SPP
    Rigid.

Just Ride
    ^ true on unclipping first so yo don't fall, I was referring to crashing. Suppose I should have chose different wording. Though both times I went down last year even with flats I still lost skin. So I guess my argument is void.

mtbr member
    *Monocog rigid 29er*
    Clipless has completely changed my ability to climb super steep/bumpy hills. Being able to lift and press makes all the difference.

Descending on rocks has become much easier because my feet dont slip off the pedals (I don't have 5.10s though)

Once you have trained your muscle memory to clip out, you wont have any problems.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    spank/spike flats and I love em, no more sore feet as they have a nice wide platform. Also have flats on road bike which I do not ride often. Funny, tonight I put clipless on the road bike and when I hit some loose stuff I automatically tried to move my foot to compensate for balance. Could not do it because of the clips. Flats went back on as soon as I got home. It's been 3 years since I rode clipless and I am climbing everything I used to on clips. 5/10's or equivalent are a must.
    Ease & Flow Where Ever I Go

Always in the wrong gear
    Flats! I love my Crampon C2 flats. I have yet to clip a rock and yet to loose my footing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Some food for thought...

Which Muscles are Really Used During the Pedal Stroke? - Pinkbike

Lee Likes Bikes

Lee Likes Bikes

http://www.bikejames.com/strength/th...h-flat-pedals/

Many trainers are starting to suggest using flats for training and clipless for race day for that little extra edge. The notion is that clipless can teach bad form and technique as you rely on the pedal to pull up on, to help bunny hop and to keep your feet in a circular motion. Our legs are designed to push rather than pull and many often "strengthen" the wrong muscles missing out on the right one's when using strictly clips for training. Many are not driving into the pedal stroke with their hips like they should.

Using a "quality" flat pedal with a "quality" shoe can come very close to clipless when pedaled correctly and can teach and enhance proper pedaling motion.

I rode clipless pedals for many years but all of my bikes have flats now and I don't feel I'm missing much and I have more fun.

I recently convinced a long time clipless only (never tried flats ever) friend to try good shoe/pedal flat combo and after a few rides he admitted that only felt he loss a touch of power on the climbs (probably mostly bad form) and that the flat and rolling hills were the same, but his downhill times have dropped and he's admitted to having much more fun and the hitting more jumps and bigger on the downhills.

I think both have their place, but many are relying on them to help with bad form rather than enhance a good pedaling technique.

Portable Audio Nerd,...
    Thanks for the great info rideorange525,...I just learned a thing or 3!!!
    I ride to feel alive!!!

mtbr member
    I prefer flats because my riding style is pump, jump, and drift. I also prefer 26 inch wheels!!!

But when it comes time to race especially xc I'm clipped and on a 29er for most courses.

DH and Enduro I'm still rocking flats on a 26 inch, it's much easier for me to send it. I get more pop, and feel I can lay the bike into the berms better. I'm glad I ride both!!

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Nov 2011
    Flats. Will never use clipless.

Used to run toe clips so I wouldn't bounce off on rocky stuff, but realized I had bad technique (thx to Lee and Brian's book) and changed to "heavy on the feet, light on the hands". Fully rigid SS now, no bouncing off at all.

Edit from Lee's website in the link above:
    "If you have a terrible stroke, clips will help you stay attached to the pedals and possibly make more power"

Kinda really says it all...
    I don't care what you ride or how you ride just as long as you ride.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast