Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bdg1320 View Post
    I just recently really got into mountain biking when I got a SS this spring and have been loving it since. It was my first real bike since I was a kid and is currently my only bike. However, I'm starting to think that having a geared bike on hand for more technical trails and exploring trails I don't know wouldn't be a bad thing.

I know you guys can't really answer this, but am I just looking for the easy way out? Should I just keeping hitting the trails on my SS and wait for my skills to develop more?

I'm curious what other SS riders out there are doing.

Thanks!
    SS (prefer rigid over a front suspension fork), geared HT and road bike too. All 29ers (700c) Depends on where I'm riding, who with and what I feel like that day.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

The perfessor
    Depends on the ride........I ride geared 29er for some mountain rides that have long climbs but SS 29er for XC style rides...........the SS is down temporarily, but I intend to rebuild it with CF Niner fork and tubeless set up to lower my weight (28 now, hopefully around 25 or less afterwards).......
    Trifecta is Perfecta: 26" FSR Geared / 29er SS Rigid / 29er Ti Hardtail Geared

Bro Mountainbiker
    This winter has been all SS for MTB. My geared ride is in parts...

I have been racing geared cross through. I gave up on SS CX!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    I've been riding for 16 years and all but 5 of them have been on a SS. I haven't had a geared bike for 2 years but I am currently building up a 1x10 to give my knee a break from all the mashing.
    Last edited by boostin; 12-02-2012 at 01:00 AM.

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by boostin View Post
    I've been riding for 16 years and all but 5 of them have been on a SS. I haven't had a geared bike for 2 years but I am currently building up a 1x10 to give my knee a break from all the mashing.
    1x 10 is awesome

I was only riding SS and i built my fatbike with 1 x 10, some people look at it and comment on the 1 ring up front being hard.... i think it unreal having 9 more gears than im used to.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    I rode SS only for almost 4 years. It is immensely fun and effective.

I left the SS thing for two reasons:

- started using the bike for communting, etc. Since I don't want two have two bikes, the one I have needs to go well on road, off, etc.
    - And the most important, I only find SS enjoyable when I can ride/train enough to keep my shape up. It's not fun to have to stop riding for 2 months and then start again and not be able to do your usual loop. With gears I'll get there, doesn't mater if faster or slower. SS has only one speed: FAST

mtbr member
    Just sold my FSR 29er so I am currently living the single life only for MTB. I have the ability to add gears if I like (possible future 1 x 10) but we'll see how it goes.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

mtbr member
    Single speed all summer ( and a 1x10 on my fatbike)....GPS says I'm faster on a SS, than gears...

mtbr member
    bikes I have owned:
    mid-90s to last year: BMX bikes, several. all SS of course
    converted road bike "fixie." fun but it hurt my knees after a while
    a few years ago- GT hybrid. rode to work and back a bunch of times. got bored and bought a mtb.
    converted Gunnar geared-SS mtb with rigid fork
    Redline Monocog, SS of course
    Karate Monkey, SS of course (current mtb)
    Masi road bike. really nice bike but I somehow got bored with it. traded it in for...
    On-One Pompino- current road/commuter with 39/17 gear

maybe it's all the years of riding bmx, but I have tried and tried to appreciate gears but commuting to work, riding trails, and long road rides around town always end up more fun without them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    ppreciate gears but commuting to work, riding trails, and long road rides around town always end up more fun without them.
    You can't beat SS in the fun department

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I ride single track and train on my SS, I race xc on my SS, I throw on slicks and a different cog and road train on my SS, I throw on a ridged fork with 1.8 tires and race CX on my SS. I rode my geared carbon full squish 2x this year.

Nuff said

Mojo

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I like both but it seems that I like ss more. I have ss 29er, sscx, two fixies(road), geared fs and a road bike. Road bike hasn't seen much use during past year but the full susser I really do like (tracer vp). It seems to go in phases as far as mtb goes. During the summer I rode mostly my full suspension but now I don't think that I've touched it for last two months.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    seems hard core

mtbr member
    yes
    Registered pedalphile.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandrenseren View Post
    however sitting and spinning up hills doesn't really work for me anymore, I spend too much effort picking the proper gear and halfway up the climb I switch to standing and mashing and then the gear is way too low. It just seems a hassle having to choose between standing or sitting and trying to pick the proper gear for the task. Basically after a handful of rides on the geared bike I vent back to my SS and enjoyed just riding.
    I shift up 2 gears going uphill, that 2 gears heavier, and then I stand up and mash. otherwise its spinout madness. This is on a 11-32 ration 9sp cass, you could probably do with approximately 3 gears on a 9sp mtn cass. such as 2 gears would give you ona 8 or 7 or 6 sp. there is alwayts 2 gears standinf and sitting and spinning, i would probably be satisfied with geared crank or a 3sp rear hub. Considering. or both
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Single only. Had a full suspension geared bike but once I started riding SS I fell in love and never went back. Sold my other two geared bike and now have 2 single speed MTB.. One 26er and One 29er.

mtbr member
    I ride both SS and geared. My SS is my regular ride during off season or winter season and use my geared on race day. Riding SS will make you a strong rider.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Went to a 1x9 set for the last year, started out strong and enjoyed the break from SS . As the season wore on I found myself getting lazy and using gears to spin. I realized in a late season race when I was dropped by a group of SS I had lost my SS mindset. With that being said sold the gears and back to SS rigid, took me about 8 weeks to find my strenght again to mash.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Rode a 1x10 for the past year or so. Just sold all the geared bikes and back on a ss as my sole bike.

mtbr member
    More beers than gears.
    My geared hardtail is collecting dust. The SS bug has bit me hard and I could care less to ride the hardtail anytime soon. I do enjoy hammering the geared road bike though.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member
    MTB, single speed, Fatbike, soon to be single...CX bike, on the fence on that one, most likely will end up that way...

Low Rep Count
    Well, my only mtb is a SS and I love it though I do some times wish I had a full squish/geared set up. It would be nice to get out and ride some of our more technical trails but since the majority of those are a minimum of 45 min away I can't support the purchase of said squish/geared bike as I know I wouldn't head out to these places often enough. Instead I bought and basically rebuilt a road bike...I know, I know, but that is what started it all for me some 25 yrs ago or so and its one of the few things my father and I used to do together (rip).

I can say that riding on gears is totally different when it comes to climbs. I have figured out how to do it again and pretty much know what gear to jump into and the transition between the two bikes has become much easier now days. I still have a blast out on the SS and don't plan on getting rid of it any time soon and the road bike seems to be calming my need for speed if you will.

mtbr member
    My mtb's are all SS. My main road bikes are SS as well, but I do have some older geared road bikes for recovery rides & touring.
    2014 Seven Ti geared bike (in the womb!)
    2012 Seven Ti SS
    2012 Seven Steel SS w/rigid fork

mtbr member
    I've been on SS for two seasons. My gears FS is a loaner now. The only time I miss gears is on long sustained uphills, steep enough where I have to stand for long parts.

I ride with geared riders. At first they told me I better stick to easy trails. I now laugh at the top of the hill when I am waiting for the "gerbil wheels" to make it up.
    Just because you can't hear them scream doesn't mean they don't. Save a plant, eat meat.

mtbr member
    I ride both. SS beater for pavement and geared for trails. Just picked up another SS for trails and I'm just waiting until I figure out a way to transport it on the long drive from my parents house to my apartment.

Also I never understood how you can ever have a hard time picking the correct gear on your geared bike. I've never had a prob with it. I blame that on riding only SS for my first couple of months of riding.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast