mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Do you lockout your squish ?

I'm going from a Whisky carbon rigid to a Magura TS8 100mm suspension fork with bar mounted lock-out on my Selma Ti SS.

I expect to be slower for a while as I get used to having some bob up front through technical climbing.

Will lock-out help maintain good climbing rigidity ?

How has the switch from rigid to squish gone for you?
    Selma Ti.

Poacher
    Sep 2010

I use lockout every 5 or 10 minutes

I love climbing steeps on single speed with the fork locked out on familiar sections/trails. I also know which sections to leave unlocked on familiar trails. On newer trails I leave unlocked most of the time unless good sightlines. I WISH I had remote!!!! I am too cheap. Using 120mm FOX RLC on small NINER ONE 9. I would use the heck out of remote if I had it. Almost no bobbing on FOX (well maintained).

Twin Six METAL Team
    The XX fork on my S.I.R. has the X-Loc remote, and I use it quite a bit on longer climbs.

'Tis but a scratch
    My SS has an old Marzoochi Bomber that doesn't even have lock-out. So, that pretty much answers that. I have jacked up the PSI to achieve the best balance of limited bob, but still a good response.

mtbr member
    I used the remote lockout on my rockshox recon even when I was using gears. When I switched to SS I used it even more because I hated that bobbing. I ended up locking the fork and not unlocking It. After that I switched to rigid and like it much more. Ofcourse downhill is much more comfortable with suspension. But on climbing rigid let you direct your power through the front of the bike to the ground without any loss. For that lockout helps significantly.

What frame do you own? I think that rigid is perfect for steel SS 29ers and suspension fork with lockout is good for aluminium SS 26ers .

mtbr member
    I went from a rigid to a manitou tower pro 80mm which I LOVE. It has literally saved my wrists. I also wish I had the milo remote lockout, but I'm a cheapo and just reach down and turn it myself. I do go practically full lockout on climbs. It's just awesome to be able to go from full squish (albeit only 3") to half squish, to rigid whenever I want.
    It's not how old I am, it's how old I feel - Minor Threat

mtbr member
    If I had squish on my SS it would most def have a remote lockout. I love the lockout on my geared hardtail.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

Ski N Bike Tech
    Nope.
    Even though its came on my bike I rarely, if ever use it. If you want to lock out your fork then you might as well just ride a rigid fork.
    Just my $0.02.

mtbr member

Where there is choice....

On my squishy bikes (all HT's) I have 2 with Rock Shox, 1 with a Manitou, and my rigid (Ritchey Mountain Pro carbon) which has an X-Fusion on occassions...all get the lockouts used. I should say that all perform some townie duties here and there so they are locked out then.

I like them for climbs or when it just isnt that rough because of the efficiency of rigid, but I do like the squishy when it gets really harsh. Once in a great while on rigid I wish I weren't, but that isn't very often. I just ride to suit the front end and don't drop off stuff with the carbon fork on. Had a PopLoc on my old Recon Gold and miss that so will probobly get another and the MILO for the Manitou and remote for the X-Fusion and one the for the Marzocchi I'm using on a ChupaCabra I'm building this winter. A carbon is going on my On-One. But I'm actually getting pretty OK with the quick reach and switch so maybe I will cheap out, but the remote was handy!

I like both and I guess I just use what is inspiring and suited to where the ride is.
    Where there is choice, there is misery...

mtbr member
    I actually took my lockout remote off of my bike for awhile, never used it. Put it back on not too long ago and made myself remember to use it. It's nice, does its job well, but I'd say I only lock my fork out a few times per ride now. I never think of it still, and I climb just fine locked out or not. It is nice for sections of paved trail.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

The need for singlespeed
    The lockout might be inoperative on my fork; I couldn't care less. Never feel the need to use it. In fact, all the settings on my fork are right in the middle range and it works spectacularly. Probably has a lot to do with the skill of the guy who serviced it last Forget about he LC, I would have bought an F80R if Fox made one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Wow what a variety - some people swear by lock-out, others think it's pointless.

I have gotten a lot faster on my rigid ti SS, Maybe I should save the 2 lbs. and just suck it up.

The Groovy Luv titanium bars are almost like suspension anyway
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Selma Ti.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I ride with Reba. She is locked up like a prude but on big hits the gate opens up automatically and we have fun.
    Mark Farnsworth, Raleigh, NC
    http://farnsworthbikes.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Yes, lock up on climbs. With Reba, manual lock, but my favorite is Fox Terralogic--auto lock! Works awesome for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    my favorite is Fox Terralogic--auto lock! Works awesome for me.
    +1 Terralogic here too.

HHL
    Que je suis bete!
    Nov 2004

Semi lockout

I have a Duc 32 which reduces but doesn't lock out and I find even the 2" travel reduction makes a difference in effort due to bob.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I never lock out my Fox fork on my SIR9. Never felt the slightest need.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    I only have a sus. fork on my geared bike, but I lock it out quite often. I rode rigid exclusively for a few years, and ultimately prefer it for everything other than descending..I guess it's a compromise.

My SS Karate Monkey is rigid with the super harsh stock fork (2011). There have been times when I have considered a sus. fork for it, but ultimately I think a more compliant steel fork and a wider front tire are the best route for that bike.

Trail Junkie
    I have a SID XX on my Lynskey, and I lock it out for about 60% of my riding. The hydralic lockout (X-Loc) is extremely fast and easy to work! The best lockout system on the market...hint's why all of C'dale's Lefties went from Fox internals to Rockshox with the X-Loc lockout!
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0

Fut. Bikes:
    Misfit diSSent
    Soma ES

mtbr member
    I ride rigid, but to me having to think about flipping a switch or turning a knob to adjust for terrain is too much like shifting gears. I just wanna ride.

SPP
    Rigid.

Dirty South Underdog
    I have a SID XX and I use the X-loc any time I stand up. It's like 2nd nature.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio