Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    surly inbred

Do you also own a FS 29er?

Yeah I know, but the ss collaborative speaks volumes. I expect a plethora of insight from all but uMartha... word is he's still stashing 29'er centerfolds under the couch when mum's around.

What is it?
    Why did you choose it?
    Do you transition nicely between said sleds?

Yes, I'm shopping gears... **** off.

Thought #1: Looking for a complement to the El Mar, something agile, nimble ride/climb all day when I'm a lazy ****er, a la Jet 9. (if the Jet was 100mm this is a no brainer... 80mm? ..meh, not so sure.)

Thought #B: Those few times I want something different should be drastic, a la Rip 9. I'm scared she's a pig & will detract from the fun factor?

Rule 4012.a-b: I don't want to hear you plead how glorious your ****ing sled is.

Rule 4017c-f: My El Mar is stoopid versatile & will continue to serve as suspended & rigid ss, + off season roadie duty. And geared flavors, too.

mtbr member
    I got a Spec Camber.

The Epic was great, but wanted slightly more travel for those days where I was not feeling like getting beaten up. 110mm travel does it for me (for now).

Transitioning is so far trouble free - I still forget that I do have gears most of the time and for the first few hours ride it like a SS, but for those longer/lazier rides it works well.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Front Suspension? Yes
    Full Suspension? Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Bought a Salsa Spearfish to replace the el mariachi I've had for many years. Been switching back and forth with my Ti SS for the last few months w/o too many issues.

Looked at a few FS rides, liked the firm efficient ride (for a FS) of the spearfish, can stand/mash it pretty well. I plan on racing it some, normally I race expert SS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I enjoy travel and a plush ride. It is hard to go from the 100mm Epic geo to the 130mm Stumpy Geo. The Ventana has the same geo as the stumpy 10mm less travel so that's no issue.

No disrespect to SS but I can't do it, 1x10 is closest I will ever come to SS. SS is to hardcore for me.
    14 S-Works Epic WC
    14 Yeti ARC
    14 S-Works Crux Disc
    15 Echo Carbondale

banned
    I rotate through 4 bikes each week. SS, 6" travel 69er, FS and HT. Never have a problem changing from one to another. If I do not ride the SS at least 2 times a week, then that does hurt my SS conditioning. I usually ride everyday, it is really hard on the legs to do the SS more then 3 straight days.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutBum View Post
    Yeah I know, but the ss collaborative speaks volumes. I expect a plethora of insight from all but uMartha... word is he's still stashing 29'er centerfolds under the couch when mum's around.

What is it?
    Why did you choose it?
    Do you transition nicely between said sleds?

Yes, I'm shopping gears... **** off.

Thought #1: Looking for a complement to the El Mar, something agile, nimble ride/climb all day when I'm a lazy ****er, a la Jet 9. (if the Jet was 100mm this is a no brainer... 80mm? ..meh, not so sure.)

Thought #B: Those few times I want something different should be drastic, a la Rip 9. I'm scared she's a pig & will detract from the fun factor?

Rule 4012.a-b: I don't want to hear you plead how glorious your ****ing sled is.

Rule 4017c-f: My El Mar is stoopid versatile & will continue to serve as suspended & rigid ss, + off season roadie duty. And geared flavors, too.
    No, but I also ride a HT 29er.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutBum View Post
    What is it?

something agile, nimble ride/climb all day when I'm a lazy ****er, a la Jet 9. (if the Jet was 100mm this is a no brainer... 80mm? ..meh, not so sure.)

JET9 RDO proto set up as an SS. She's changed a little since I last took these pics (Nobby Nic's F/R/Surly Singleator pushed up, 100mm SID XX with lockout) but this bike is really nice when those super cold mornings the rigid SS just seems too painful. Which seems to be more often than not...tis the season I guess.

The RDO has 100mm rear travel, and the suspension design works well for SS use since the bob is minimal. I run about 15-20% sag as a SS. My 1x10 JET9 RDO has 25-30% sag. I like it a little tighter for ss use.

I'm counting the days though for a one button front/rear suspension lockout though. It would be amazing to hit the button to fully lock it all out.

I'm riding a RIP9 RDO now (geared) and am thinking about trying it as a SS as well. Though 125mm rear travel plus a 130mm fork is a bit overkill IMHO. The RIP9 RDO is a lot of bike. I found I actually like a steeper front end for SS, I just cant wrap my head around slack 29er frames. Love them going downhill fast, but aggressive out of the saddle climbing a 29er with a 69 HTA just doesn't feel right to me. But the alloy RIP9 will be heavy as SS, 24-27 pounds likely depending on your build. My JET9 RDO is 20 pounds.

I'll update thread with new pics when I can take some. It's more trail bike SS now. This was racer mode.

Brett
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do you also own a FS 29er?-img_0392.jpg  

Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    What is it? Tallboy Carbon

Why did you choose it? Rode a demo, and was hooked

Do you transition nicely between said sleds? Yes. Sometimes I'll go back and forth during the week, other times I will stick with one ride for a while. Biggest change for me is I have XTR brakes on the Tallboy and Hope on the SS. The levers and actuation are quite different. On my new SS build coming this winter, I'll be matching the brakes as well as saddle and cockpit parts to make transition that much easier.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow View Post

I'm counting the days though for a one button front/rear suspension lockout though. It would be amazing to hit the button to fully lock it all out.

Brett

heehee Buy a Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

cowbell
    Yes. I also ride a Giant Anthem 29er. I picked it because a dealer I trust sells them, lifetime frame warranty, and it fits me well, I'm comfortable on it, like the way it handles, etc. etc. I experience no trouble switching back and forth, as long as I ride both of them often enough to maintain fitness on each, because they are different.

Twin Six METAL Team
    Yes, I also have a full-suspension 29er, a Niner R.I.P. 9. I chose it because I moved out here to Colorado in March (from Nebraska) and wanted something to play on the rocks with! And honestly, it gets ridden more than my SS these days. When I do ride my SS though, I don't seem to have an issue with transitioning. I just swapped to a 20T cog (from an 18T), so I plan getting it out a little more.

I've also started building an Air 9 RDO that will be geared and used for endurance races.

psycho cyclo addict
    Yes, I have a 2009 Turner Sultan FS 3x9 geared with Reba Team 120mm/20mm maxle front fork and new 142x12 DW-link rear (getting installed this week). This is my go to ride for the rocky stuff.

I've ridden my SIR 9 rigid steel forked SS bike on gnar and do not enjoy the feeling of a jamming one or both of my wrists on rocky descents. I also have a geared hard tail 29er.

human dehumidifier
    Salsa Big Mama here. 100mm, works fine. They say the (Spearfish, Horsethief) replacements for it work even better. So there you go.

Sometimes I think I don't ride it enough to justify keeping it though.
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

Warrior's Society
    Just got rid of my El Mariachi......which as a SS I rode 90% of the time.

Also have a TallboyC which I have had longer than the SS.

I don't ride it as much as I used to. I find myself grabbing the SS most of the time. Only long rides, or rides that are techy/rocky, I will take the Tallboy.

Going back to the geared bike takes me some getting used to.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Trout - have a look see into the Devinci Atlas

Devinci Atlas Frame - Fanatik Bike Co. - Bellingham Wa

Should be a stellar FS performer for our neck of the woods.

Cheers,

Mark

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    SS Rigid Mary
    FS Geared Epic

They are very different but I like the dynamics of it. The Mary helps me with choosing good lines and putting in a lot of grunt work. The Epic is when I just want to ride fast and/or easy.

openwound
    Just built a Salsa Horsethief (which replaced a RIP). It's set up as a 1x9 and is my geared winter bike while I take a break from ss.
    I gave my RIP to my brother. Universal was/is blowing out the '12 frames for a good price, that's why I bought this bike.
    Only one ride on it so far. I like it.
    I'll be riding it and my road bike for at least the next month or so, so can't comment on the transition notion. But fwiw, I have a bunch of bikes and regularly switch it up and have never had any transition issues that I can point think of.
    -- let's ride

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I used to have a RIP9 to complement my SIR9. I only rode it when I traveled to places that were more gnarly than my usual local XC trails. But then I thought I wanted something that was closer to freeride and switched to a WFO9. The WFO was fun, but didn't climb as well and I couldn't pop the front wheel up over obstacles as easily as the RIP. So I did the dumbest thing possible and swapped all the parts to a Honzo frame and ditched the gears. Now I have 2 single speeds. One for XC and one for AM. I'm still not sure how I feel about that. Anyway, the RIP sure hit the sweet spot for an all around bike that could handle some heavier duty action. I highly recommend it as a 2nd bike. The JET9 seems too much like a race bike or XC sort of bike and that's what my single speed is for.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Winter time and short weekday rides I have a SS 29er(vassago jabberwocky). When the sun comes out and the dirt becomes prime I bust out my yeti sb95.

Dinner for wolves
    Lenz Behemoth
    I chose it because it has huge travel and short chainstays.
    Transitions are rough because the geared FS is nothing like my typical steed, my FG Karate Monkey. The Lenz is truly a behemoth compared to the KM. When I ride it, I ride the snot out of it and have had my share of mechanicals. That rarely happens on the FG. The FS is a hassle, plain and simple. But when it is humming, it allows me to ride retarded terrain at great speeds. Sometimes that pleases me, sometimes I'd rather be doing familiar laps on my familiar trails, with my familiar FG. Glad it is the stable, though. I wouldn't trade for any other FS29er I have ridden to date.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    I have two Singular Hummingbirds, one configured as a rigid SS and the other has Maverick SC32 forks and an Alfine 8 speed hub. Both 69ers, of course.

Then I also have a Trek Top Fuel 69er, which in my opinion was a very under-rated bike in its day (2008). I try to swap around between them, but now that we're in a very wet and dismal late autumn I feel less and less inclined to bother getting the Trek out and usually fall back on the SS Hummingbird. It's a pity, as the Trek is a very nicely set-up bike and I enjoy it a lot - not so much the inevitable cleaning and maintaining.
    I am seriously considering shipping it out to my place in Greece where it would be more at home on the drier, rocky terrain and wouldn't be grinding through peat bogs and trails that resemble river beds for a lot of the year.

mtbr member
    I had the FS 29er first! Had the Epic since last year(first 29er) and got bike curious when I started riding with a bunch of SS guys. Just finished building a rigid SS 2 weeks ago with a geared EMD frame, liked it so much I bought a Lynskey Ridgeline that will be here tomorrow! Riding rigid with large casing tires isn't really as bad as I thought it was going to be. As far as transitioning...I don't know yet!

Apr 2007
    Several months of absence and I come back to this garbage.

disclaimer: I may be on a 5-spot (yeah, 26") next season for a bit.

openwound
    Garbage? C'mon broseph, we ride bikes. It's all good...even kiddie-wheeled 5-spots.
    -- let's ride

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast