mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Do singlespeed cogs/chainrings last any longer???

So ive got a brand new drivetrain....new singlespeed cog with new singlespeed chainring and new chain. Since the teeth are bigger can I expect to go through at least 2 chains before the cogs will need replacing?
    8 is great

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Depends on the chain... and the riding conditions... and the rider. Lube, wipe everything down, and lube again after each ride where things get dirty, and stuff lasts a long time. (That's almost every ride here in NorAZ with the lovely red dirt that seems to get into everything.)

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yep...we've got the GA red clay as well.
    8 is great

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by NovakanX
    So ive got a brand new drivetrain....new singlespeed cog with new singlespeed chainring and new chain. Since the teeth are bigger can I expect to go through at least 2 chains before the cogs will need replacing?
    I have a Spot chainring that is over 5 years old and it keeps on ticking. This picture is about a year old, but you can see it is quite worn. The point is, since the chain has a straight chain line and a chainring has over 50% chain wrap, as long as I flip the chainring everytime I replace a chain and dress it up from time to time with a Dremal tool, I don't see why it can't last another 5 years.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    ^ ^ ^

Now that is a chainring that has seen some miles.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    lol
    8 is great

808+909 = Party Good Time
    Short answer is yes. Apart from the teeth being bigger SS chainrings (if made properly) have no warps in them so they are perfectly flat and round and less likely to grind ya chain. So I guess an SS chainring could mean you will need to change your chain less often. My latest chainring is about 6 months old and you can't even tell its been used and my chain is perfectly fine.