mtbr member
    Jun 2008

DMR Revolver-SS 6-Pawl Rear Hub

Anyone run one of these hubs on there SS yet. It looks sweet and the features on it seemed nice but was not sure if it was worth getting.

mtbr member
    I was hoping you would get a reply. I posted the same thing about a month ago, with no replies. I want to build up a set with these hubs too. A local wheel builder here said the DMR hubs are "really underrated," but has never built any of the SS ones. A guy I ride with has some (not SS) on his 819 wheels and he loves them. Not sure that helps at all, but still . . . .
    mountainbikefaq.com - See my 2x10 to 1x10 conversion (lots of pics!)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have the geared hub and they are definitely underrated. I put about 300 miles on them so far through mud, rain, dirt, etc and they seem to be holding up well. When deciding between the SS and geared hub I read about users having issues with caliper clearance on the SS version so I decided to go with the geared.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by D1PHAM
    I have the geared hub and they are definitely underrated. I put about 300 miles on them so far through mud, rain, dirt, etc and they seem to be holding up well. When deciding between the SS and geared hub I read about users having issues with caliper clearance on the SS version so I decided to go with the geared.
    I believe the one with the clearance problems was specifically the freewheel SS hub.

compare this pic to this one and you can see why some people had calipers hitting their spokes (hint: look at the left spoke flange)

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    I believe the one with the clearance problems was specifically the freewheel SS hub.
    yeah i had this problem with a juicy 5 on the rear of my DJ bike.

two packs of syntace shims and some longer disc bolts later and i could finally use brakes

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ElbowScabs
    I was hoping you would get a reply. I posted the same thing about a month ago, with no replies. I want to build up a set with these hubs too. A local wheel builder here said the DMR hubs are "really underrated," but has never built any of the SS ones. A guy I ride with has some (not SS) on his 819 wheels and he loves them. Not sure that helps at all, but still . . . .
    Yeah I heard some good things about them from my bike shop to so I might go head and build a set with them. Plus its good to know the parts are available to get since the formula hubs I have now are a pain to get them for. There gonna go on a monocog 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RussoJ
    Yeah I heard some good things about them from my bike shop to so I might go head and build a set with them. Plus its good to know the parts are available to get since the formula hubs I have now are a pain to get them for. There gonna go on a monocog 29er
    Post back what you think if you get them. I am looking to put them on my Monocog 29er too. I'll do the same, since I may get them.
    mountainbikefaq.com - See my 2x10 to 1x10 conversion (lots of pics!)

mtbr member
    I will be getting a set of these wheels this weekend. A buddy had them on his 1x1 and had no problems. I will see how well they last for me, but they are bound to be better then what I had.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    the owner at my local bike shop is running these on his geared bike and has no problems so far. I just found this out yesterday when I picked up my rear wheel for my monocog since the freehub let go. I might build a set up with them. They seem to be a nice setup for the money.

one chain, two sprockets
    Sep 2008
    I've been running the DMR SS "freewheel" hub with a WI Trials FW for nine months. No issues at all.

When I built the bike, I noticed that there is minimal clearance between my BB7 caliper and the spokes,but there is no chance of contact. I run 24's, so this gap would tighten with the spoke angle for 26" or 29" wheels.

The DMR hub itself, is well (if not over-) built. I'll get another when I build up some 26" hoops this winter...

Tom P.

mtbr member
    I've had the regular single speed hubs for over six months with salsa delgados. A buddy of mine raced on them for a year. I picked them up in perfect shape for $200. He also built them and made sure they were perfect when I picked them up. Same chain line as my phil woods, first time I've ever had a spare set of wheels. Hard too compare because they have a much smaller tire. They build up very light. I will buy 6 paw one day, just couldn't pass up this deal.

mtbr member
    I did have some troubles with my Hayes calipers hitting the spokes. I had to put spacers in behind the rotors to get the adjustments to work with out hitting the spokes.

I have not rode them yet. Plan on that tomorrow.

huh?
    I have a 1x1 with the DMR Revolver freewheel hub and Avid BB5 brakes, I have had no problems at all. The bolt on feature is great for the 1x1, and it looks clean and simple

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    [QUOTE=KamloopsSingleSpeed]I have a 1x1 with the DMR Revolver freewheel hub and Avid BB5 brakes, I have had no problems at all. The bolt on feature is great for the 1x1, and it looks clean and simple[/QUOTE

Bolt on feature?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    you taling about it as a bolt on rear hub?

huh?
    Sorry, My Bad, I have the DMR revolver freewheel R Hub, Not the 6 pawl, should have read more clearly, but i do believe that the clearance issues with the brake are the same and I have no problems on my 1x1, and the freewheel version is a 5mm bolt on hub, yes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KamloopsSingleSpeed
    Sorry, My Bad, I have the DMR revolver freewheel R Hub, Not the 6 pawl, should have read more clearly, but i do believe that the clearance issues with the brake are the same and I have no problems on my 1x1, and the freewheel version is a 5mm bolt on hub, yes.
    they have a different flange design on the left side, so there should be no clearance issue with the cassette version

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    not to bring an old thread back from the dead but it seems easier this way i want to build a set of wheels with these the freewheel version though. will be for a 29'r is the clearance issue fixable? and does anyone have updates on these bad boys?

mtbr member
    Not sure about all bikes, but the 1x1 clearance issue is brand dependent.

My hayes brakes were an issue, but the bike they were on before mine had Avid and had no issues.

I have placed small spacers behind the rotor to get mine to work. I have had no issues with my brakes or anything at all after several rides.
    Last edited by gatman; 09-12-2009 at 09:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    fantastic thanks so much