mtbr member

DMR kit + Gusset sprocket..will it work?

Hello all,
    I would like to try singlespeed on my rigid 29 bike..(just bought her a Salsa Cromoto 29 fork, couldnt be happier, it replaced 100mm fork).
    I would like to try this tensioner, which consists of a kit with tensioner, spacers and single cog.
    DMR Simple Tension Seeker & Single Speed Kit | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    I could guess that there are maybe better tensioners around, but it is cheap and from what I have read, it is a nice tensioner anyway, if not compared to the best ones.
    But since I have a 29", the supplied 16t cog will be too hard for my legs, I also would like to buy a 20t cog, this one:
    Gusset 1-ER Single Speed Sprocket | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    But I cant understand if the spacers supplied with the DMR kit will be ok as well with this cog..Are all the cogs for splined hubs with the same thickness?? OR I risk to have the spacer kit that will not work with Gusset sprocket and I will have too much play or too little space for the lockring to be threaded safely??
    Also Gusset specifications tell that it needs a 3/32 chain..
    ..3/32 is 9v chain,,,correct?..But I have read that 8v such as a PC850 Sram chain will be better..Now I have a 9v PC 991 Sram chain..I better buy a 8v chain or I can try it with my actual chain? Also I wonder if a 8v chain will work with the Gusset sprocket.
    Please help me !
    Last edited by Jingleman; 11-22-2011 at 11:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Not sure if this answers your q for certain, but the gusset cog is 5mm thicker than the DMR flat cog. If you have a spare spacer or 2 from an old cassette to tweak the fit it'll be fine. I'm not sure of the thickness of the individual spacers in the DMR kit. The lockring on the cassette can take up slack if the whole set up is a mm or 2 too wide.

My 18 and 19T Gusset cogs works fine on an 8, 9 or SS style chain ime. I should check for sure but I seem to remember that 3/32" is 8spd, but is usually used to describe 8 or 9spd geared as opposed to 1/8" track chains.

mtbr member
    I don't think the basic Gusset cog the OP linked to is any thicker than the DMR - they are both just flat steel cogs. Gusset does make thicker cogs (as advertised further down on the Gusset cog page), but the basic ones should be within a 1mm or so.

The spacers you have will probably be fine, and that tensioner should work well.

Down the road, you may want to upgrade to a thicker cog (once you find your ideal gearing). The thin based cogs will eventually cut into the freehub body. You could get something like this Gusset:

Gusset Double Six Single Speed Sprocket | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

If you want 20 teeth, you should look at the Surly, King, or Homebrewed Components options (once you settle on gearing).

If you do upgrade, you will probably need to fiddle with the spacers. Most bike shops will have spare spacers around, for free or cheap, so you can swap some in and out.

mtbr member
    Oh yeah - 3/32 chain is 8 speed chain, not 9. 5/64 is 9 speed. I'm very happy with the SRAM PC830 chain for SS applications.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Sorry you're right - I didn't realise they made 2 different types. I have the double foot version.

human dehumidifier
    Delete this - looked closer and can see there are more than two spacers in those photos. Bad eyes FTF.
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSSasky View Post
    I don't think the basic Gusset cog the OP linked to is any thicker than the DMR - they are both just flat steel cogs. Gusset does make thicker cogs (as advertised further down on the Gusset cog page), but the basic ones should be within a 1mm or so.

The spacers you have will probably be fine, and that tensioner should work well.

Down the road, you may want to upgrade to a thicker cog (once you find your ideal gearing). The thin based cogs will eventually cut into the freehub body. You could get something like this Gusset:

Gusset Double Six Single Speed Sprocket | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

If you want 20 teeth, you should look at the Surly, King, or Homebrewed Components options (once you settle on gearing).

If you do upgrade, you will probably need to fiddle with the spacers. Most bike shops will have spare spacers around, for free or cheap, so you can swap some in and out.
    ..Thank you!..Do you think that the thinner sprocket of the two types..will cut so badly the freehub?..not being able to use it anymore with gears?..At this point..shouldnt I buy straight the thicker type?..Only drawback is that the fatter of the two is available at max 19T..while the other Gusset type...is available at 20T..

one chain loop
    You could get something like this Gusset:

nice wide base, but i don't think it can be flipped just looking at the splines.

i like surly cog myself and there is an e-bay knockoff from UK too.

and one day i will try the on-one groove armada cog, but everytime i go to HBC website, i keep telling myself to just save that money and go all out on bling.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    How much the thin cog cuts into your freehub will depend on the material it's made of. For instance, most Shimano hubs have a steel freehub body, as do some other brands. A thin cog won't cut into a steel body too much.

However, some hub brands use aluminum freehub bodies to save weight (most Hopes, I believe, for instance). I thin steel cog will cut into an aluminum freehub body fairly quickly. You would likely have to do some creative filing to fit a geared cassette back onto the freehub after it's badly cut.

Your local bike store should be able to order the Surly cog for you, which is available up to 22t.

Cassette Cog | Parts | Surly Bikes

If you don't mind spending a couple extra dollars, it probably makes sense to order the bigger cog and save yourself any worries. Heck, if you are relatively confident in your gearing choice, you will probably save some money by only buying one cog instead of a 'trial' cog and a good cog.

mtbr member
    On-One is a UK based company with lots of SS parts. Might be a good option for you, assuming you are still in Milan.

On-One Groove Armada Single Speed Sprocket 19.99

one chain loop
    they do have US store, where i got my mary bars for a decent price.

On-One and Titus USA Store — On-One Groove Armada Single Speed Sprocket
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    On-One is a UK based company with lots of SS parts. Might be a good option for you, assuming you are still in Milan.

On-One Groove Armada Single Speed Sprocket 19.99
    Thank you SSSasky..I guess I will follow your advice and will order the Armada sprocket from OnOne (yes Im in italy)..I dont want to ruin my freehub..They are not expensive wheels but I like them .Anyway..I have short 170mm cranks..Im in doubt if ordering 20 or 22 t cog..I had a spin this morning on my 29" and put my shimano trigger in the middle to be on the 20 t gear and it wasok but when I tried few times the ramp that goes out of the building from the garages( quite steep) the 23t next cog was way easier (obviously) while the 17t cog was really too hard for my legs anyway..Keep in mind Im completely new to the singlespeed approach..But 22t (ok, one less tooth than the shimano ) will be quite slow on the flats, no?.
    If the Armada cog was a bit cheaper I would order them both with 20 and 22t.