mtbr member
    Sep 2005

... and if we just ... DIY chain tensioner!

really proud of it! Cheap, Light and it works! if i smash it i just have to make another one. Made it as i was fed up of my chain stretching.

made from bent mild steel, steel bolts, nuts and spacers with a spare kcnc jockey wheel. 69grams on my lbs weighing scale.

thinking of making a one more improved one...anyone has any suggestions? i was thinking of filing the mild steel down even more to have a more attractive design instead of drilling holes.

one chain loop
    i still remember one member here posted a home-made tensioner out of small wrench and i think it is so cool. cant beat the strength of a forged steel too.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

Single speed

Very nice design.

Very nice!
    Looks pretty cool.
    I like the fact it is on the QR so you can easily adjust it.

I did the wrench with only bike parts from the junk box. Except for the bolt through the jockey wheel.
    chain tensioner (1).JPG

1 3/8" combination wrench
    1 chain ring bolt through the box end of the wrench
    1 4mm bolt 3/4" long- through the bushing on the jockey wheel & the chain bolt
    1 QR seat post clamp nut(from inside the lever)
    1 deraileur hanger bolt and bushing from inside the body of the deraileur

I was thinking of putting a zip tie around the chainstay and the tensioner to prevent it from loosening.

I once took a spoke and bent it in a fashion to add tension up on the norailer I bought for another bike. Before I saw the thread about DIY tensioners.
    Hooked it on the fender bolt hole. Took the jockey wheel off and spun the tensioner clock wize then reinstalled the jockey wheel. Hooked the spoke around it.
    norailer.jpg

The all time best tensioner I saw was the spoon. Classic DIY

I was just wondering what you use this ride for. I find it hard to ride with platforms since I went clipless.

Great job.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by McGyver29er
    I was just wondering what you use this ride for. I find it hard to ride with platforms since I went clipless.

Great job.
    oh i use this bike for urban riding and some hardpack trails. I tried a local rocky/gravel trail but had a terrible time trying to keep my foot on the platforms during the downhills. especially since i am using a rigid fork. I came from clipless and i am never going back..a big part due to the convenience of being able to just use any shoe and its easier to bail when i huck stairs or kerbs and when something goes wrong.

but for pure speed clipless is still better though...but i am lazy to ride fast. lol

Devolution is real!
    I love home made parts, especially chain tensioners. Here is one I made in 1/2 hour and it works great.

one chain loop
    nice DIY's, can anyone tell me what exactly is the size of a derailleur hanger bolt? i mean the thread, thanks.

edited:
    found it, M10
    Last edited by fishcreek; 03-05-2008 at 01:08 PM.

mtbr member
    I remember seeing one that someone made with a spoon.

mtbr member
    How do you adjust it for chainline, with washers or pliers?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by eccentricbottombracket
    How do you adjust it for chainline, with washers or pliers?
    washers to adjust chainline...pliers if the tensioner becomes crooked or starts twisting..so far no problems.

one chain loop

here's mine

used to be magic, but i thought it will be safer with my DIY.

mtbr member
    Funny, I just made a tensioner out of some trash because I was frustrated with magic gears and it works so much better than it should for a piece of trash.

I was wondering where some of you found those socket head allen bolts in the right size. I have checked several hardware stores as well as the internet and I can't find anything. It is an odd size with that 1.00 pitch. Any Suggestions

I'll Post pictures of my creation when I get the chance

one chain loop
    I was wrong about the M10 size bolt, or maybe I just picked up the wrong size. I end up using a smaller bolt with a nut and washer at the back so I can tighten it good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishcreek
    I was wrong about the M10 size bolt, or maybe I just picked up the wrong size. I end up using a smaller bolt with a nut and washer at the back so I can tighten it good.
    It is an M10 Diameter but it has a really fine pitch/threading (1.00). I have only been able to find that diameter and pitch with a hex head, but I really wanted an allen head but I can't find one that fine.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    Take an old derailer and bust up the main pivot to harvest the delicious honey out of the hive. Or you could just get the main mounting bolt out of it and use that as the basis for your tensioner. Don't forget the zip-ties!

mtbr member
    sorry, old thread. I am trying to make a DIY tensioner for a beater bike right now. any new ideas?

and if i can't make a diy tensioner work, has anyone tried this? http://www.slanecycles.com/shimano-a...D&delivery=223

i had a Surly Singleator once and the spring blew up after just a few rides.
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 12-06-2010 at 05:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    First time I saw CT-S510. It's a fixed position (compared to spring loaded CT-S500), hangs onto the wheel axle (looks like it has a flat side). So you'll probably have to round the hole for your QR. If you do that, I'm not sure if it'll stay fixed on QR instead of the hanger - I'd bet not. So it may not be an ideal set up if you ask me...

Retro Grouch
    The spoon
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

mtbr member
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010

Sweet Spoon

I keep one in center console of my truck for lunch emergency. Little did I know I could walk back to truck, install spoon repair, and keep riding my bike.

mtbr member
    I just made this today out of a backplate of an old derailleur and one of its jockey wheels.

Dive Bomber
    I prefer the roller type than the pulley one.

I use pulley it's noisy and easy to derailed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackspade
    I prefer the roller type than the pulley one.

I use pulley it's noisy and easy to derailed.
    I make sure to grease the spindle and bushing area of the jockey wheel every now and then and it's actually quieter than the STS tensioners that I've used and seen in the past. I'm not saying that goes for all, but in my experience I've always had more noise out of rollers. I always thought that it was because the shape of the chain never really ran smoothly on the flat surface of the roller, it would make alot of noise as it bumped across it with each link, whereas the jockey wheel is cut out to each roller on the chain so it kind of fits the form of the chain. I'm not sure if that made any sense..that's the best I can put it in words. And as far as derailling I've never had a single issues with either kind of tensioner whether it be spring, fixed, roller, or wheel.

mtbr member
    DIY chain tensioner!-944782_10151828027797359_1780531522_n.jpg
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    you da man!

Members who have read this thread: 5