TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

Disks brakes in front, rim brakes in rear

I'm looking at some possible upgrades to my SS, currently running Avid rim breaks front and rear. One of my options is to put Avif Mecahnicals in front and keep rims in back. Yes, I know 90% of my stopping power is in front.

I'm looking to hear from anyone who has run this setup and if they have any comments positive or negative on this configuration.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    I'm looking at some possible upgrades to my SS, currently running Avid rim breaks front and rear. One of my options is to put Avif Mecahnicals in front and keep rims in back. Yes, I know 90% of my stopping power is in front.

I'm looking to hear from anyone who has run this setup and if they have any comments positive or negative on this configuration.
    I run that setup on two bikes, my full suspension gearie (Tomac 78 Special) and my singlespeed running front suspension. Works great for me. Of course I could probably get by with v-brakes for most of my riding (dry conditions most of the time).

I initially thought there would be a significant difference in feel between the front and rear brakes. I don't notice any difference. I'd be more wary of going hydraulic disc and v-brake.

baker

brother on a mission
    I have this set up on my geared mountain bike. AVid disk front and XT linear rear. I like it.

ON my SS I have centerpull cantilevers (it's a bin bag POS). If I get a new SS I will likely run the disk front linear rear set up on it.

Medium?

Yup.

I've been running an Avid 7" front brake on a Kelly rigid fork on my Gunnar for 18 months now. The only time I can notice that I have vees in the back is for about 10 seconds after a water crossing or mud bog. I have matching XT levers.

I'd love to have an excuse to get a zooty Jericho, but I just don't.

I love my bike the way it is.

Just after I cracked my original Kelly v-brake fork, I went to AZSF with my zoke z-2 and a Hayes Hydro front brake, hayes lever, and the v-brakes in the rear with the xt lever. Even that combo wasn't too bad. Er, except for the squishy fork.

Photo credit: Biking Viking

Slow riding mama's boy

It works out great.

I'm also running a similar setup on my Gunnar ruffian. I had an Avid 185mm with a v rear, and now I'm running a Marta sl and a v rear. Even the hydro front and v rear feel great together. It's a good setup.

Joel

My post is that way --->
    Jan 2004
    Been running that set-up for a couple of years. I think there was only one time that I wished for a rear disk in that time, and I live in a wet climate.

Not convinced by any of the rear disk SS solutions (at least not to the point of wanting to incur the expense to "upgrade") and I will probably go for the same set-up if and when I get a new frame.
    Wibble

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Disc front, V rear is good

I run Avid disk mechs up front and V brake in the rear. Works great. I really notice the difference between the V brake up front and the Avid disc - the Avid allows much more control over braking force being applied, and with only one finger. Don't grab a fist full of front brake all of a sudden though. The first time i did that I found myself doing a nose wheelie. Its a good solution for older hardtails that weren't designed for the forces that a rear disc would put on the stays. Avid disc mechs are easy to install, adjust and use.

The name's Norm...

They have a name for this setup....

it's the "Mullett".
    Man, I didn't know so many people still run this setup. I've run this for a couple of years on the hardtail. I do know they make a disc adaptor for the rear for non-disc frames. I'm not so sure about them, tho. No drilling, welding. Just clamping. Hmmmm.....

Deadhead
    Mar 2004
    6" Avid mech and Single Digit 7. I've been using this combo with Avid levers on and off for a couple years and love it. If you play with the spring tension on the brakes, you can get them to feel fairly even front to rear. I run the v-brake in the back mainly because I got tired of trashing rotors on urban rides.
    "If you can get both wheels sliding with no brakes, that's when you really know that you're cookin." Nathan Rennie

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

another reason - dollars

Quote Originally Posted by hu-man
    I run Avid disk mechs up front and V brake in the rear. Works great. I really notice the difference between the V brake up front and the Avid disc - the Avid allows much more control over braking force being applied, and with only one finger. Don't grab a fist full of front brake all of a sudden though. The first time i did that I found myself doing a nose wheelie. Its a good solution for older hardtails that weren't designed for the forces that a rear disc would put on the stays. Avid disc mechs are easy to install, adjust and use.
    converting to disc from Vs on both wheels is expensive. The front only is half the cost and the hub is less expensive.

mtbr member
    I tend to think that on hard tails that a rear disc is not nessesary. Even in wet and mud. The front disc is the only way to rock it.