Thread: Discos?

meatier showers

Discos?

The factory paint on my '08 On-One is lousy. The thin paint did not fill the open ended Bontrageresque gussets on the top & down tubes, as a result rust has been forming there since day one. I've ridden this bike a LOT in the Orygun rain... going on winter #3 now. The rust is bad enough that I'm getting nervous about the frame's structural integrity.

I don't have much money to spend on a replacement frame so I'm considering a Sette Razzo 29er hardtail frame ($199!) and transferring all my components over. But this is not an SS-specific frame -- it employs vert dropouts and no tensioning method.

I refuse to run an extraneous tensioner. This whittles my options down to an ENO eccentric hub or an FC EBB. My use of square taper cranks eliminates the FC EBB. Too bad as this would be my first choice.

I don't want to build a new rear wheel. See where I'm going with this? I don't consider "magic ratio" an acceptable method of tensioning a chain. A few years ago there was a product frequently mentioned in this forum called Discos.

Are Discos still around? I Googled but found nothing. With Discos I figure I could get close enough via half link, then run the chain a bit slack if necessary... so long as there was no way the chain could fall off this would be okay. With Discos surrounding the cog and a Jump Stop & guard ring on the crank, I couldn't lose, right?

How about it?

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Why the Razzo over say the Access 29er frame? Geometry preferences?

Both are AL - but the Access is about $80 less expensive (might be 80 bucks you could use on the chain tensioning set-up)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Why the Razzo over say the Access 29er frame? Geometry preferences?

Both are AL - but the Access is about $80 less expensive (might be 80 bucks you could use on the chain tensioning set-up)
    they keep raising the price on those; they're up to $150 now. You do save versus Pricepoint's ridiculous frame shipping charges though. Oh, and the Access comes with a (cheap) headset and a seatpost clamp

Also, they are being phased out and the smallest frames left have a 24.8" ETT. I can't remember Sparty's numbers so I'm not sure if this is an issue for him.

On that note, I just noticed that Pricepoint is out of stock of the 20" Razzo now too. Bummer for me, I was considering picking one of these two up

Ovaries on the Outside
    Sounds like someone just wants a new bike for his birthday. Any reason for Al? Bikeisland has these that are meant for SS action and are in your price range.

meatier showers

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    Sounds like someone just wants a new bike for his birthday. Any reason for Al? Bikeisland has these that are meant for SS action and are in your price range.
    Meant for SS action, you say? Tell me please, how is chain tension accomplished? I can't see the photos very well on my iPhone. If this is a genuine SS frame, I'm there. Gracias.

--sParty

Sent from my weapon of mass confusion
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Meant for SS action, you say? Tell me please, how is chain tension accomplished? I can't see the photos very well on my iPhone. If this is a genuine SS frame, I'm there. Gracias.

--sParty

Sent from my weapon of mass confusion
    sliders. Non drive side pic too

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    Thanks boomn. Happy birthday, sParty.

meatier showers
    Thanks boomn. Happy birthday, sParty.
    Okay, umarth... your "has" link went to the Outcast and your "these" link went to the Fantom. Looks like the Outcast has sliders and the Fantom, not so much. Right? I want the Outcast, yes?

Anybody have geo specs on this frame? I'd love to know BB height, since I run 195mm cranks. Thanks again!

Happy birthday to me.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The factory paint on my '08 On-One is lousy. The thin paint did not fill the open ended Bontrageresque gussets on the top & down tubes, as a result rust has been forming there since day one. I've ridden this bike a LOT in the Orygun rain... going on winter #3 now. The rust is bad enough that I'm getting nervous about the frame's structural integrity.

I don't have much money to spend on a replacement frame so I'm considering a Sette Razzo 29er hardtail frame ($199!) and transferring all my components over. But this is not an SS-specific frame -- it employs vert dropouts and no tensioning method.

I refuse to run an extraneous tensioner. This whittles my options down to an ENO eccentric hub or an FC EBB. My use of square taper cranks eliminates the FC EBB. Too bad as this would be my first choice.

I don't want to build a new rear wheel. See where I'm going with this? I don't consider "magic ratio" an acceptable method of tensioning a chain. A few years ago there was a product frequently mentioned in this forum called Discos.

Are Discos still around? I Googled but found nothing. With Discos I figure I could get close enough via half link, then run the chain a bit slack if necessary... so long as there was no way the chain could fall off this would be okay. With Discos surrounding the cog and a Jump Stop & guard ring on the crank, I couldn't lose, right?

How about it?

--sParty
    Hey sParty,
    Happy BD from Osaka Vulture!

I already run "Disco-sh" to keep chain tension on vertical DO. Yes, Discos seemed to be discontinued but I took 2 cassettes apart and got 2 pcs of 26t cogs and grind off their teeth, voila "Disco-sh".

I believe "Disco-sh" with a half link could be enough but some aesthetic reason I even took off some metal from QR adopters on the axle of my King SS hub to achieve 3mm fore-aft adjustment in vertical DO, so it make perfect chain tension.

What hub do you run? King SS hub is easy to convert cos King QR adopters (option over Fun bolts) are Alu, not hard to grind down. You know we need max clamping force, so just use it with Shitomano QR

Hope this helps

-Aki
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Discos?-cimg0663.jpg  

"Semper Farcisimus!"

mtbr member
    195mm cranks! Holy Hell!

It must be somewhat challenging to find a 29er frame that doesn't turn out to force you to deal with a lot of pedal strikes with cranks that long.

mtbr member
    You could get your On-One frame refinished: bead blasted & powdercoated, good as new (or better). Should be a cheaper option.
    Out of interest, I bought an On-One Pompetamine frame a few months ago, it's beautifully finished, top quality paint.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    195mm cranks! Holy Hell!

It must be somewhat challenging to find a 29er frame that doesn't turn out to force you to deal with a lot of pedal strikes with cranks that long.
    That's one of the reasons I prefer custom frames... got a couple o' those. But honestly, a guy gets used to the long arms in a couple of ways. Way #1, I swear the brain somehow seems to have an intuitive way of learning exactly how much space exists between the pedals and the ground -- it compensates. Way #2, years ago pedal strikes terrified me... they no longer do. On a singlespeed, they only happen when you're going slow. I just keep spinning... and shrug the occasional pedal strike off.

Thread upshot -- I bought a badly needed cordless drill instead of the new SS frame. Happy birthday to me. Maybe I'll get the frame for Christmas.

Thanks for the help, y'all.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Apr 2007
    New Inbred frames are ~$250-ish shipped. Or if you want Al, a Soul Cycles Dillenger?

Ovaries on the Outside
    That's one of the reasons I prefer custom frames... got a couple o' those. But honestly, a guy gets used to the long arms in a couple of ways. Way #1, I swear the brain somehow seems to have an intuitive way of learning exactly how much space exists between the pedals and the ground -- it compensates. Way #2, years ago pedal strikes terrified me... they no longer do. On a singlespeed, they only happen when you're going slow. I just keep spinning... and shrug the occasional pedal strike off.

Thread upshot -- I bought a badly needed cordless drill instead of the new SS frame. Happy birthday to me. Maybe I'll get the frame for Christmas.

Thanks for the help, y'all.

--sParty
    You can borrow my drill. Bike purchase onward!

meatier showers
    You can borrow my drill. Bike purchase onward!
    Dude, don't be ridiculous. I ain't borrowin' nuthin'.

I gots me a Makita 18V compact, lithium-ion, compact, ergonomic, lightweight drill that features 450 in/# of torque, 1/2" capacity (steel), keyless chuck, two 15 minute quick charge Li-Ion batteries, automatic on/off LED work light, integral belt clip, optional bit holder, 0-1500 variable speed, durable carrying case, 3-year warranty and much, much more.

I can hardly wait for my next project, which might just include the installation of a couple of "water management / erosion mitigation" bridges out at you-know-where. Ya see what I'm sayin'?

--sParty

P.S. Thanks just the same for your generous offer.
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Ovaries on the Outside
    [QUOTE=Sparticus]he wrote some stuff/QUOTE]

I rarely use the drill... but you're gettin' a fancy one.

You just reminded me to snag some pressure treated lumber next time I'm at my parents...

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    I rarely use the drill... but you're gettin' a fancy one.

You just reminded me to snag some pressure treated lumber next time I'm at my parents...
    ha, you get wood at your parents.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Dude, don't be ridiculous. I ain't borrowin' nuthin'.

I gots me a Makita 18V compact, lithium-ion, compact, ergonomic, lightweight drill that features 450 in/# of torque, 1/2" capacity (steel), keyless chuck, two 15 minute quick charge Li-Ion batteries, automatic on/off LED work light, integral belt clip, optional bit holder, 0-1500 variable speed, durable carrying case, 3-year warranty and much, much more.

I can hardly wait for my next project, which might just include the installation of a couple of "water management / erosion mitigation" bridges out at you-know-where. Ya see what I'm sayin'?

--sParty

P.S. Thanks just the same for your generous offer.
    a
    friend from work has one of those, he says its the best drill he has ever had, and he has had them all. make sure to keep the battery contacts clean
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green