mtbr member
    Jun 2005

New question here. Disc wheelset, which one?

I just got a Dean frame that is disc specific so I need some new wheels for it, anyone have any suggestions. Of course I'd love Chris Kings but too spendy for now. Does anyone have experience with the new American Classics? I guess what I mostly need advice on is the hubs rims I'm not too picky about. I ride a ton (everyday twice on Sundays) but am not too big a person so I don't tend to thrash on equipment. thanks for any input. I'll be running Avid mechanicals 160mm. thanks keri

I like to ride bikes!

man... I wish...

I really want someone to answer on this post, cause I've been asking the same thing!

I'm strongly thinking Am Classic, DT Swiss and these WTB/Mavic from Co Cyclist

Anyone with input?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutdog
    I really want someone to answer on this post, cause I've been asking the same thing!

I'm strongly thinking Am Classic, DT Swiss and these WTB/Mavic from Co Cyclist

Anyone with input?
    I can't answer your question about what wheelset, but I will warn you against the WTB/Mavic wheels. A friend of mine bought those same wheels for a geary and the rear freehub died in about 3 months. He sent them back and they suggesting a King upgrade for like $50.00, which he gladly took. May have been a fluke, I don't know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

King vs AC hub

This will most likely be a minority position, but I was most unhappy with the King ss disc hub. It uses a different bearing adjustment design then all the other King hubs, one that offers little way to properly side-load the angular bearings, and comes out of adjustment easily. I was needing to re-adjust the thing on a weekly basis.
    The bolt-on adapter for the disc rotor is also a dumb design. It looked like an afterthought and worked as well as most afterthoughts do.
    Oh and the noise - need I mention the noise?

I have recently built up a new wheel on the American Classic ss disc hub. So far so good. It does have more engagement lag in the freewheel, but so what. The bearing cartriges are rather small, so I am curious to see how long they last. But it is 100g lighter than the king and costs about half.

Tom
    Lasciate Ogne Speranza, Voi Ch'Intrate
    ~Dante

Expert Pushing SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by kerilou
    I just got a Dean frame that is disc specific so I need some new wheels for it, anyone have any suggestions. Of course I'd love Chris Kings but too spendy for now. Does anyone have experience with the new American Classics? I guess what I mostly need advice on is the hubs rims I'm not too picky about. I ride a ton (everyday twice on Sundays) but am not too big a person so I don't tend to thrash on equipment. thanks for any input. I'll be running Avid mechanicals 160mm. thanks keri
    I run Hayes Superlites (rebadged DT 240s) on my geared Dean with Mavic 317 rims. I also run Avid mechs (thumbs up). I really like the hubs and rims. I just opened the freehub body up and it was cake. It required a little cleaning and new lube. The wheelset was built by Universal Cycles and they did a great job on the build. Still true after 2.5 years. Anyways, you will want to run a wide based cog on the 240s. I have heard very good things about AM classic. So, I guess I just stirred the pot and bumped the thread for ya. Oh, I don't ride quite as much as you, and environment will play a big roll on the servicing skee-doolee (duh).
    Tuff Schist

Expert Pushing SSer
    One other thing Keri.....I run Mavic 317s with XT hubs on my Dean SS. Also have Avid mechs there as well. The price was right (100 or so on the used market). I can run a standard or wide base cog on these hubs cause they have a steel freehub body.

Cheers
    Tuff Schist

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Smile thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by Meat Foot
    One other thing Keri.....I run Mavic 317s with XT hubs on my Dean SS. Also have Avid mechs there as well. The price was right (100 or so on the used market). I can run a standard or wide base cog on these hubs cause they have a steel freehub body.

Cheers
    Thanks to everyone for their input so far. I have to agree the noise of the king hubs is annoying! I'm really leaning towards the am classics with mavic 317's. one more question do people prefer freehubs over bmx style freewheels? currently i run an acs but they sure start clunking after a few weeks, even with regular cleaning. a question for you Meat foot is your xt hub ss specific or are you using spacers on the free hub? thanks keri

Expert Pushing SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by kerilou
    Thanks to everyone for their input so far. I have to agree the noise of the king hubs is annoying! I'm really leaning towards the am classics with mavic 317's. one more question do people prefer freehubs over bmx style freewheels? currently i run an acs but they sure start clunking after a few weeks, even with regular cleaning. a question for you Meat foot is your xt hub ss specific or are you using spacers on the free hub? thanks keri
    I prefer to use a NON-SS specific freehub. I like redundancy. If my geared bike needed a rear, I could pull the cog off and slap the cassette on. I use cheap gray gray (electrical grade) PVC SCH 60 or 80 I think 1-1/4 inch dia. Used 1 longer stick to make up a stack (towards the inside of the cog) and a little waffer to have the lock ring bite down on. I weigh 160 and have not had issues with the 317s (but I stay on the ground more than getting frequent flyer miles). Also, I have mounted a Panaracer 2.4 FR on there with no issues of roll off at 25 psi. That is about as big a tire I need. So Keri, really depends on what you want...I think the XT/317 is a cost effective option, and most bike shops know XT. DT-240s or AM classics are nice a bit more blingy, also a bit more $$, and most nice LBSs will know what you are talking about. Have fun.
    Tuff Schist