USB Rep'n

Disc brake question...

I know there's a brake forum but since I really hang out here, I thought I'd ask. Has anyone ever corrupted their disc pads and/or rotor due to bad oil seals in their fork? I need new seals and get oil on the stanchions but I've noticed lately that my front braking has gone to almost nil (I use mechs btw so it's not a bleed issue). I replaced the cables and housing and still, nuthin! The pads look like they might still ahve a little life and I have new ones ready to install, I just don't want to ruin new pads if the fork issue is the culprit. Am I on the right track or should I just shut up and replace the pads?
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

Contrarian
    That certainly sounds possible. You could try boiling them but it doesn't always work.

mtbr member
    or you can burn them. Cook them in the oven. Or use a dishwasher.
    Or just buy new pads :-)

(aka SS_MB-7)
    I've had excellent results with baking my pads (Hope and Formula) in the oven. Place them pad-side-up on a cookie sheet at 425F for 20-30 minutes. Crank-up the oven fan because it will get smokey as the oil burns-off. I've also had great results burning the pads on the oven elements...but, since getting a new fancy stove with the elementless top, my wife won't allow me to do that anymore for fear it might damage the surface....women!

Ride Hard,
    Mike B.
    http://www.one-speed.com

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by brant@on-one.co.uk
    or you can burn them. Cook them in the oven. Or use a dishwasher.
    Or just buy new pads :-)
    I know that part (I do appreciate the response though so please don't think I'm an ingrate). I have new pads sitting there, I just don't want to put them on and have them be toast after one ride becuase they got oil on them. I'm trying to figure out if you could get enough oil out of the stanchions to actually get on the rotors or pads or if I really just need new pads and the fork leak has nothing to do with the problem.

eh-nay Ityopia!

(aka SS_MB-7)
    It doesn't take much oil to contaminate the pads. So, yes, it is possible that your fork's oil leak contaminated the pads. Once you've addressed the leaky fork, I'd try salvaging your old pads before installing the new ones. Also, make sure to clean your rotor thoroughly with rubbing alcohol.

Ride Hard,
    Mike B.

USB Rep'n

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by mike@one-speed.com
    It doesn't take much oil to contaminate the pads. So, yes, it is possible that your fork's oil leak contaminated the pads. Once you've addressed the leaky fork, I'd try salvaging your old pads before installing the new ones. Also, make sure to clean your rotor thoroughly with rubbing alcohol.

Ride Hard,
    Mike B.
    thanks Mike (and all). I'm gonna cook me up some pads tonight and see what happens. Not sure what the wife will say since I recently melted some styrofoam in the oven. She was less than enthusiastic about that performance, I stink us out again and I might be out!!

eh-nay Ityopia!