mtbr member

Dirt Rag Changes

Sad to hear that both Jeff and Brad are suddenly no longer at Dirt Rag. I thought at first maybe this was just some internet "stuff", but both of their bios have been taken off the staff section. Jeff has been doing a fantastic job with the art. I'm sure it's tough, as they seem like a tight knit bunch over there. Browne just left for Trek too.

I love that magazine and look forward to every issue!
    Last edited by CJones; 04-21-2007 at 07:36 AM.

29er Geek
    Wow, that does stink...Didn't Ferrantino leave Bike as well? Big shift!
    unityhandbuilt

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Change can be good. Gives a different perspective. Keeps the content from becoming stale. DR will thrive. BIKE will thrive. I talked with MF at Sea Otter and he said the changes at BIKE have been great for the mag and the staff. He gets to write for other mags now, too. Just read his first column in Singletrack. Good stuff.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Only 525,600 minutes/year
    Does anybody else think the latest issue of Dirt Rag sucked hardcore? The latest Bike is pretty sweet, but there was something weird about the Dirt Rag issue. Halfway through every single article I was wondering why I was reading it.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by CJones
    Sad to hear that both Jeff and Brad are suddenly no longer at Dirt Rag. I thought at first maybe this was just some internet "stuff", but both of their bios have been taken off the staff section. Jeff has been doing a fantastic job with the art. I'm sure it's tough, as they seem like a tight knit bunch over there. Browne just left for Trek too.

I love that magazine and look forward to every issue!
    Whoa. I wonder what happened?
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    Whoa. I wonder what happened?
    URBAN CYCLIST happened.

I really enjoyed working with Jeff on my crappy print ad resolutions...now I will have to fix them myself...

I hope they both do well, looks like an interesting venture.

So, where is this place Urban anyway???
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Kinda surprised there was no announcement of any sort, maybe I missed that.

Best of luck to both of them!

KWN
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    URBAN CYCLIST happened.

I really enjoyed working with Jeff on my crappy print ad resolutions...now I will have to fix them myself...
    Send them my way. I shall fix them.

My best to Bradley & Jeffrey.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoco01
    Does anybody else think the latest issue of Dirt Rag sucked hardcore? The latest Bike is pretty sweet, but there was something weird about the Dirt Rag issue. Halfway through every single article I was wondering why I was reading it.
    I agree about the last issue of DR. Wasn't feeling it at all, very stale and boring IMO.
    My one says BRAP!

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Didn't they just announce the addition of three new staff memeber a few issues ago? Sounds like this was all well planned?!?
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Holding out on my renewal....

I guess I will wait and see what Milton has to say about it later tonight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I loved the artwork and layout throughout Dirtrag. Didn't Jeff take care of that? Jeez. Hope they don't make the magazine like all the others. I don't want a magazine like all the others; that is why I bought DirtRag. Wonder what the firing was about?

mtbr member
    After clicking on the Urban Cyclist link and reading the thread (which is no longer there) on Dirt Rag ... I'm gonna guess it was a sort of Jason Newstead/Echobrain/Metallica type deal. But what do I know...
    Last edited by CJones; 04-21-2007 at 07:27 PM.

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by myron
    Holding out on my renewal....

I guess I will wait and see what Milton has to say about it later tonight.
    milton is a lush. listening to him will grow hair on your eyes.

i dont think holding out your renewal is necessary, i dont see the rag taking a dive...families dont implode just because the kids move out (no i dont mean to compare anyone to kids so leave it).

anyway, dont think of it as your rag half full, think of it as one rag one zine to throw beer money at.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    People should hold off judgment. Maybe the two of them wanted to leave, maybe both they and DR wanted to go, maybe they left and DR did not want them to go or maybe DR wanted them out.

One thing, the DR Forum thread on them leaving was deleted.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Well, if DR is deleting threads on their forum that may be critical (or just questioning) of DR, then things are changing. Normally, one could express their opinion of DR without fear of being whitewashed over.
    Maybe one could be a wise ass and start mentioning the firings in thread after thread and see how many DR would delete!

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by peatbog123
    Well, if DR is deleting threads on their forum that may be critical (or just questioning) of DR, then things are changing. Normally, one could express their opinion of DR without fear of being whitewashed over.
    Maybe one could be a wise ass and start mentioning the firings in thread after thread and see how many DR would delete!
    Perhaps they want to make an official announcement. Maybe Brad and/or Jeff asked for it to be pulled. Maybe they didn't want the rumor mill to get going like it seems to be. Really, know one here knows, so it's just speculation. Sit back and wait, I'm sure info will be forthcoming.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    You are right. Jumping to conclusions is not good.

(By the way, the thing about posting on a bunch of DR threads was a JOKE; don't take that part seriously anyone, please!)

34N 118W
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    Sit back and wait, I'm sure info will be forthcoming.
    they didn't quit DR.

www.myspace.com/urbancyclist

the end.
    HW

Dirt Rag word wrangler
    Apr 2007
    Yes, unfortunately Brad and Jeff are no longer with Dirt Rag. They were let go for essentially a conflict of interest and misappropriation of the mag's resources.

It's a messy situation, and we definitely didn't want things to go down this way, but it came to a head and had to be resolved.

Fortunately we've got a lot of support, and a large pool of inspired and talented folks to draw from our readers. I think things will work out better for everyone.

(The Dirt Rag Forums thread got deleted a bit prematurely and has been restored we don't want to discourage any discussion.)

- Karen, newbie editor of the 'Rag

mtbr member
    I posted the thread, and deleted the thread. I thought I might be stepping a little to deeply into peoples personal lives just because I was curious. I had no intention of causing problems. I am a longtime reader, and wanted to know what happened. However I didn't want to add to the already complicated situation over there.
    Oh...I smell what you're steppin' in.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Well I'm a lifetime DR subscriber so I'm sticking with them. I'm from PA so I gotta support my peeps.

try driving your car less
    what if jeff and brad are love hostages in matt chester's dungeon of lust?

bring out the gimp!

but the gimp is sleeping...

what if ernesto is the gimp?

have you ever noticed how similar bush and the president of iran look? it's like bush with a tan and needing a shave.

it's all related, you see...

Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    So what was the problem with the latest issue? Constructive criticism is always welcome.
    Thanks,
    Maurice
    Publisher

Quote Originally Posted by mcoco01

Dirt Rag word wrangler
    Apr 2007
    Whoah. What if they're... the same guy!?!

29er Geek
    Looks like Jeremy has been into the Paint thinner again!

Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    what if jeff and brad are love hostages in matt chester's dungeon of lust?

bring out the gimp!

but the gimp is sleeping...

what if ernesto is the gimp?

have you ever noticed how similar bush and the president of iran look? it's like bush with a tan and needing a shave.

it's all related, you see...

unityhandbuilt

34N 118W
    Hi Karen,

as a photo and text contributor I'm sorry to see all of my acquaintances go, on their own accord or otherwise.

Good luck with your new role, hopefully I'll be working with you more in the future.

Jeff T.

PS - bumper sticker: Keep Dirt Rag weird.

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    PS - bumper sticker: Keep Dirt Rag weird.
    oh hell yeah!

(but make it fit on my chainstay)
    looking for 20-21" P team

Quote Originally Posted by daveIT
    Well I'm a lifetime DR subscriber so I'm sticking with them. I'm from PA so I gotta support my peeps.
    Lifetime? I'd miss out on the free tires and other swag I get when I renew every year at Sea Otter!

I'm sticking with them. I'm from the USA and enjoy good writing, so I gotta suport my peeps!
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Can't wait to see what Urban Cyclist brings. We can always use another good biking 'zine!

mtbr member
    Hmmmmm.....very ABRUPT....very freaky.....and very strange.

Anyway,it looks like things came to a very nasty head. Unfortunately,I'll have to wait until I get back from Asheville next weekend to sort through what's left of the mess. I read a rumor that Jeff lost access to his e-mail account. Seems a bit less than amicable.

The myspace for urbancyclist is pretty vibrant.

I noticed more than one DR staffer has exactly seven posts. Anyone looking forward to the new Harry Potter on 7/7/7 ?

Jackalope Hunter
    riding with Jeff introduced me to DR. Too bad, he's a real cool guy. Hopefully this will be a good thing...

Who are the brain police?
    I subscribe and will continue to subscribe but I feel that DR caters too much to fringe elements 29ers and the like.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Locoman
    I subscribe and will continue to subscribe but I feel that DR caters too much to fringe elements 29ers and the like.

Then perhaps you should also pick up the latest issue of Mountain Bike Action to find out how THESE WHEELS WILL MAKE YOU FASTER!! or read up on the lastest
    14 INCH TRAVEL SHOOTOUT!!

There is enough watery gruel out there for the masses, keep it out of the rag please.

I think you misunderstood me. The bold shouting was a bit over done.

My point is that most people have 26" wheels and do use gears. DR should include the 29ers etc, but they shouldn't act as if they represent 50% of the market.

_______
    so you jointed mtbr over two years ago and have 3 posts and needed to call me on my DR critique? I get the feeling you ride a 29 SS.
    Ween - The Grobe

mtbr member
    I was merely mimicing the MBA style. And I still reserve the right to defend the "fringes", even though I may not spend my days getting fatter in front of my computer. One's number of posts is not necessarily proportional to the value of one's opinions. You can stroke your seven thousand posts while sucking up my dust cloud. I do not own a 29er.

President Skroob
    Jan 2006
    Personally I like the rag and will most likely become a lifetime member when my sub is up. I just have to find out when it's up. I like most issues but a magazine isn't going to hit a homer each and every issue.

Hey, what's the big deal about riding a 29er singlespeed. I have just two rides on mine but I love it and the thing kicks my butt on trails that didn't used to.

Quote Originally Posted by unstuckpilgrim
    I was merely mimicing the MBA style. And I still reserve the right to defend the "fringes", even though I may not spend my days getting fatter in front of my computer. One's number of posts is not necessarily proportional to the value of one's opinions. You can stroke your seven thousand posts while sucking up my dust cloud. I do not own a 29er.
    Fine. But you are a 29" SS at heart and DR caters too much to the fringe. As for the rest of your post...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ween - The Grobe

Quote Originally Posted by GueroAZ
    Hey, what's the big deal about riding a 29er singlespeed. I have just two rides on mine but I love it and the thing kicks my butt on trails that didn't used to.
    not sure if that was addressed to me but... There is nothing wrong with 29 SSs! I wish I had one. My point wasn't to say there's anything wrong w/ them, just that this type of bike represents a tiny tiny slice of mountain bikers and I thought it might be a bit overrepresented in DR. This happens in the same way the huge huck super drops are overrepresented in other mags. -But there's nothing wrong w/ those bikes either!
    Ween - The Grobe

President Skroob
    Jan 2006
    Hah...I was just kidding no worries. I try to insert a joke in threads like this when a couple people take things personally like what bike magazine they read or what kind of bike they ride.

I agree 100% though it does seem lately they have catered to the extreme side of things. I took it as a phase. In a few issues I bet they move back to the center for a while then shift again. I am weird anyway, I have only two mountain bikes. One SS 29er and one race bike FSR that I run locked out normally.

mtbr member
    If every mag's contents were calibrated to accurately reflect the percieved market, they would all be exactly the same. DR's "fringe" appeal is what gets my attention and gets my money. I would guess this would be true with the majority of their subscription base.

btw, Woot! 5 posts!! I can feel my credibility surging.

Dirt Rag word wrangler
    Apr 2007
    We don't plan on making any drastic changes in the style of DR. As long as Maurice is in charge, it will be an independent publication and behave as such. (So yeah, we'll have some SS and 29er stuff - I suppose we've got lots of it because we personally are into it, but point taken, not everybody is.)

Obviously it will look different, but we plan on working with a lot of the same regular contributors, so not too different.

I had been a reader since about '96 or so and don't want to see the Rag go south either! The mood around here is energetic and optimistic, so I think we'll be fine.

Your credibility must be surging indeed.. because I understand and to some degree agree with your point.

fwiw, you know what next months issue is about? Penny Farthing riders in the midwest..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ween - The Grobe

mtbr member

Couple items

Quote Originally Posted by Mauriceman
    So what was the problem with the latest issue? Constructive criticism is always welcome.
    Thanks,
    Maurice
    Publisher
    I like the small builder coverage in you're rag and the trail advocacy coverage. I don't think very many of us will ever ride in India or ride La Ruta but I do like to read about it.
    More trail coverage from you're trips would be nice, with some detailed trail info about the areas.
    I'd like to see at least one high end test (Turner, Foes, Titus, Lenz, intense Ellsworth) in each issue and at least one small custom builder and one from a subcatagory like DH, SS or 29r to make it interesting; nothing like a bunch of low end equipment to keep me from picking up an issue. I've been into mountainbiking for 14 years and I've lost intrest in a $500 complete bike.
    I'd like to see you go back to keeping the tire manufacturers honest with the format you used in issues like #116 where you set a test legend in the corner clearly stating the test peramiters and measurements that let us know that a claimed 2.4 tire is more of a 2.1 and weighs 100g more than claimed. That is usefull info and has saved me a couple hundred $$$ over the time you ran with that format. My.02

Dirt Rag word wrangler
    Apr 2007
    Hmmm... penny farthings, eh? Looks interesting... wonder if you can take one off-road? ; )

(Am I dating myself with the old-fashioned manual emoticon?)

How ever it turns out, I'll be waiting by my mailbox for the next issue w/ bated breath..
    Ween - The Grobe

banned
    Isn't a Bontrager on staff?

Bored
    If I didn't have Dirt Rag, I'd be really bored going #2.
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I just wish some magazine would quit acting like XC racing and related bikes and gear no longer exist. I know it's not as fun to look at, but XC racing does require some specialized gear and articles. It's almost impossible to find any XC race coverage in a magazine. I like to look at the pictures and read a race report.

I guess it's niche enough again that maybe it's time I start a magazine dedicated to the racers, not the all-mountain and downhill style riders.

rep
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I'm still wondering about the bunny with the pancake on its head, but I'm just an oldschool BUSS rider with a new used Haro SS (which I'm mighty pleased with, life really is sometimes good!). Keep the peace symbols in Dirt Rag and the cager advertisements out, please.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by curtlo-dork
    I just wish some magazine would quit acting like XC racing and related bikes and gear no longer exist. I know it's not as fun to look at, but XC racing does require some specialized gear and articles. It's almost impossible to find any XC race coverage in a magazine. I like to look at the pictures and read a race report.

I guess it's niche enough again that maybe it's time I start a magazine dedicated to the racers, not the all-mountain and downhill style riders.
    See Velonews.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Personally, I care not one wit for organized racing. If I did, I would buy another magazine. I don't care about the standard fare offered in other mountian bike magazines either--like the $4000 average priced bikes in MBA. Yes, I just bought a SS 29er (a cheap one too--Redline Monocog). Had it 8 days now, put on only about 95 miles, but I love it. I don't care if no one else does. DirtRag is really the only magazine that looks at all aspects and levels of biking, not just whatever the bike companies want them to push. Of course they also have tests of the stuff you normally find in bike shops, and that is okay too. I don't have to read it. I think DirtRag is the best magazine for people who just like to ride bikes, without any of the ego thing going on (Bike is decent too, I think, in that). If Dirtrag starts doing just what everyone else is doing, then there isn't any reason to buy it anymore.
    And I will have to buy the Urbancyclist also now. Jeff had the best-looking magazine going in my opinion (meaning his layout of DR). And I am sure there will be normal people bike stuff there, not just the boring "buy this bike, it's better than yours" crap that seems to prevail nowdays in many magazines.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by Locoman
    Did you see the current issue? Two of the three bikes reviewed were full suspension trail bikes.
    I'm very happy with Dirt Rag and have been since 1994.
    It and Velonews are the two magazines I always subscribe to...and I won't throw any anymore back issues when I get obsessed with playing bass.

pedalphile
    I like DR for several reasons, including but not limited to the green-eyed beauty who appears in many of the ads. (=

My only gripe, and this is a gripe with all bike mags, is that none of the reviews are done blindly. Why aren't bikes and parts tested in the same way wines are tested, with the labels covered up? I am much more likely to trust a reviewer's opinion of how a bike or part handles if I know that *they* know they have no idea what they're riding.

I know that's an impossible proposition, given that most bikes and parts are so easy to recognize by sight, but this is the internet, so who cares.

Maybe it would be fun to try once: Cover three bikes (e.g. each at a different price point) that are wrapped in cardboard so the reviewers have no idea what they are, and have the reviews compare and contrast them...
    now the world is gone i'm just o n e

Sweep the leg!
    I don't know about others but for me any bike mag is a momentary substitute for the sensations derived from working on and riding my bikes. If I want to see a bike I don't own I'll go to an LBS or to a race where I can see all the latest bells and whistles or garage engineering at its best.

I don't care if all the bike mags fold and go on-line.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered
    I don't know about others but for me any bike mag is a momentary substitute for the sensations derived from working on and riding my bikes. If I want to see a bike I don't own I'll go to an LBS or to a race where I can see all the latest bells and whistles or garage engineering at its best.

I don't care if all the bike mags fold and go on-line.
    True, nothing beats actually riding or wrenching a bike, but I'd hate to see an end to print media. I'd much rather read a magazine (hopefully printed on recycled, post consumer content paper) than stare at a monitor. But my old eyes.

Only 525,600 minutes/year
    Thanks,
    Maurice
    Publisher
    It's hard to explain. It seemed like it was assembled by a completely different group of people. As someone else said, I like the trail access column and the reviews are usually pretty good. Someone else mentioned being sick of seeing $500 everyday bikes. I think it's great that Dirt Rag is focusing more on bikes that are inexpensive, sometimes mostly made in the USA, and still fun to ride. I think we've all seen enough $5000 dentist bikes that don't ride $4500 better than my new Redline. I think the cycling community has a responsibility to promote a lifestyle that is in the very least not part of the problem. I'm hoping none of us fell in love with bikes because they are expensive and owning them makes us better than someone else. I want to read about how fun riding is, and I think most of the time Dirt Rag does a good job of bringing me that.

Honestly I have enjoyed all the issues leading up to this one, this just had a different feel to it. A strange selection of articles, boring topics, whatever. Maybe you didn't do anything different and it was just my perception of the articles.

And, dude, do you really weigh 367 lbs?

^ The Trail Starts Here ^

Good job!

Thanks,
    Maurice
    Publisher
    Hey Maurice:

Your mag ROCKS and it always has! Yes... there are times when I don't find stuff that interests me,....... My fault...........but I always find myself picking it up and reading again and again. It carries me through the winter.

People come and go in everything we do as humans so wish'em well and full steam ahead!

29ers rule!

Keep pushing the limit on them. 26er are here and are great also, but the new 29er thing is awesome! Soon it will be 50 percent or more.

All Hail....... DIRT RAG!
    Proformance Cycle
    proformance58@cs.com

banned
    Thanks,
    Maurice
    Publisher
    In general, not all the local advocacy groups or advocates have clean hands. Research into them before you start supporting them because you could lose more members than you hope to gain through blind support.

those are Rollercams...
    Quote Originally Posted by Proformance Cycle
    Hey Maurice:

Your mag ROCKS and it always has! Yes... there are times when I don't find stuff that interests me,....... My fault...........but I always find myself picking it up and reading again and again. It carries me through the winter.

People come and go in everything we do as humans so wish'em well and full steam ahead!

29ers rule!

Keep pushing the limit on them. 26er are here and are great also, but the new 29er thing is awesome! Soon it will be 50 percent or more.

All Hail....... DIRT RAG!
    Ever consider decaff???

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

^ The Trail Starts Here ^

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by WTB-rider
    Ever consider decaff???
    Naw,

Was the Power of Dew showing?....lol

Proformance Cycle
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    With out Dirt Rag the mtb world would be a glossed over Dew commercial without soul or imagination shoving the latest fad and useless trinket down as many open throats as possible. It takes people like Mo and the rest of the staff at DR to cut threw the crap thats being thrown at us and show whats really going on in the cycling world. Beer reviews, Places to ride, custom builder reviews, cool shops, guys that eat out of dumsters, world tours etc. etc. gives me a reason to look forward each month to the new issue of DR (it's kinda like a guide to ways to have more fun in this screwed up world) so carry on DR crew and congrats and good luck to the new hires, I'm looking forward to my next issue.

King Pin

Wink Dirt Rag Sucks!

I just ordered up a 29er Cruiser from Steve at Coconino Cycles, all due to the powers at Dirt Rag magazine. Keep up the good work, and I'll keep spending more money than I need to! Talking to Steve Garro on the phone, I found him to be a wonderful spirit, and so full of life....his brazing is impeccable to! And he's a homey.

hehe.

Maurice, DO you actually weight 367lbs. now? And what is the weight of "one bike"? Mine will be Ed Zachary the same size as your test bike.....did you weigh it?

Quote Originally Posted by number2
    With out Dirt Rag the mtb world would be a glossed over Dew commercial without soul or imagination...
    While I count Dirt Rag as my favorite rag, this is a bit extreme.

Without the soul and imagination of cyclists, Dirt Rag would be nothing.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Members who have read this thread: 0