Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    meatier showers

A dinglespeed is not a singlespeed

A dinglespeed is a multi-geared bike with very limited gear choice and a certain degree of inconvenience in changing gears.

But it's not a singlespeed. Don't take it personally, dingle owners. It's just that facts are facts. If your bike is equipped with multiple gears, it's not a singlespeed.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

(not that fast)
    I'm suprised this has never been touched on before...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fastale
    I'm suprised this has never been touched on before...
    Yeah, never heard this before.

If I carry a different size cog in my pack do I still qualify for SS status? Am I disqualified if I even own other cogs? Fact is, I carry a second cog around on my hub instead. On cold dark winter nights when no one is watching I like to sneak out and ride my bike with a different ratio than normal, so I stooped to this level to make switching easier. Maybe I will even dare to do so in the daylight some time. I still have no shifters and no other way of shifting while riding; I still have a perfectly uninterrupted and smooth SS drivetrain. But yes, I am now removed from the elite singlespeed fraternity and have been forced to join the other dirty people in the "dinglespeed" caste.

I'm not sure if you are trying to stir up a storm and create an argument, but it sure seems like it. In the end though, I just don't care How's that?
    Last edited by boomn; 03-06-2009 at 04:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    Yeah, never heard this before.

If I carry a different size cog in my pack do I still qualify for SS status? Am I disqualified if I even own other cogs? Fact is, I carry a second cog around on my hub instead. On cold dark winter nights when no one is watching I like to sneak out and ride my bike with a different ratio than normal, so I stooped to this level to make switching easier. Maybe I will even dare to do so in the daylight some time. I still have no shifters and no other way of shifting while riding; I still have a perfectly uninterrupted and smooth SS drivetrain. But yes, I am now removed from the elite singlespeed fraternity and have been forced to join the other dirty people in the "dinglespeed" caste.

I'm not sure if you are trying to stir up a storm and create an argument, but it sure seems like it. In the end though, I just don't care How's that?

Cheers to ya Boomn...and I'm one of ya! Unless I'm ridin the geaed or the commuter SS but the ride of choice has one of those secret second gears that I have to stop and remove the rear wheel to get to. ughhhh I'm soo BAD!

mtbr member
    why? you're doing a study on the most inconspicuous flame ever?

sparty...you've been here a long time, enough time to remember the old site when there was less flaming, more positive exchange of ideas and experience. i have higher expectations of long-term posters than those new to the board who don't appreciate its origins.

2x2 not an SS? fine, if you say so.

mtbr member
    Sparty is right, but only single speeders would be interested in such a contraption

Luckily we don't have auto de fe for the heretics in our midst.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    This thing is old...
    But IMHO, any bike in which you can't change gears on the fly, and to do that you need to make a mechanical intervention, is a singlespeed.
    When I seed this kind of topics, one thing comes to my mind: "do not feed the troll"...

mtbr member
    1 dinglespeed bike = 2 singlespeed bikes in one.
    Ride more!

meatier showers
    You know what? I can't deny I was trolling when I posted that yesterday. Sorry, I hate trolls and don't usually stoop so low. Boomn, you don't stoop, I did.

It'd been four days in bed with a fever and I was bored to tears. I guess the need for stiring the pot overcame better judgement. Please forgive me. I wanted a lively discussion but just look at the low road I took to get there.

As for dinglespeeding, I think dingles are cool and I was splitting hairs. Although what I wrote in the OP is true, there's a lot of implication there that stirs up emotional responses. Too bad. Should dingle posts go on the drivetrain board instead of the singlespeed board? Maybe, maybe not. I can't deny that a dingle is a lot closer to a single than it is to a gearie.

Sorry fellers, I blew it.

Day 5... hope I get out of bed soon. And that my brain comes back.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

one chain loop
    no worries sparty, i figured that it was very unlikely of you to start a worn out topic. hope you feel better soon.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    All is forgiven Sparty. Get well soon and hope you can get back to riding soon

mtbr member
    thanks sparty.

i go way back on this board...bought two SS frames from DAS. remember him? i have 3 bikes, and i don't care what anyone wants to call them: one dedicated mt SS, a commuter 2x2, and a road rocket 2x2. i love all 3 equally.

i rode Cycle Oregon on an SS bike a few years ago. 5 solid days on one gear, except one monster climbing day in the blue mts, i packed an extra chainring and bit of chain, to swap out a lower gear for 1/2 the day. so, did i ride Cycle Oregon on a singlespeed? it doesn't matter to me what anyone wants to call it.

i think the main issue is whether or not any discussion about 2x2 or alternative drivetrains is welcome here. arguments over semantics are a waste of time.

get well man.

meatier showers
    You nailed it, Cygnus. I don't know what I was thinking... bored insane, I guess. Personally I love just about any question on any forum so what the heck was I doing... ?

I think while I'm lying here with nothing to do I'll invent a time machine. Yeah... that's the ticket...

Of course I remember DAS. And the DAS wrench AKA mini-sledge hammer. What's that dude up to these days?

I did OBR (Oregon Bicycle Ride) about 18 years ago and there was a guy from Bend on a drilled out singlespeed that weighed like 16 lbs. He was obsessed... got up around 3:30am every day to get a head start... there's plenty of climbing and descending in Orygun, but there's plenty of flat ground between the Wallowas and the coast.

Fun times.

Let's go ridin'.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

mtbr member
    Flip-flop hubs are not single-speeds.

meatier showers

Oh yeah?!?!

Sez YOU!!! Wanna take this outside?!?

--Sparty

Quote Originally Posted by itsdoable
    Flip-flop hubs are not single-speeds.
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Making fat cool since '71
    sParty, slow the phuq down on the Nyquil bro...slow down.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

True story

I have a friend that has two SS 29ers. He rides one bike for gnarly trail rides and the other for dirt roads and mellower trails, they're geared differently. He is a single speed rider.

I ride one MTB (29er) with a dinglespeed (2x2), one gear for gnarly single track and one gear for dirt roads and mellow trails. I am not a single speed rider.

We all are bicyclists having fun, that's all that really matters.

mtbr member
    i live in AK now but had a history in OR (lived in eugene, grad school at corvallis) and my son is about to graduate from UO, so i still get there.

oh the OBR! i rode on that once in about 1992 with my friend from bend, the route was from denio (?) in nevada, to crater lake, and ended at gold beach.

i bet we met the same SS guy (maybe a different year), stripped down mtb SS (silver, titanium?)); he would pick a gear to match the terrrain of the day. he was a very strong rider. i was fascinated. that was my first introduction to SS on adult bikes. within a year, i was SS full time on a mt bike, now the same on road bikes. so, whoever that guy is, he is responsibility for opening my eyes about the possibility of riding SS.

haven't heard from DAS and never actually met him face to face. i do recall his sledge hammer approach to fixing a bike. i bought a BuSS from him, and also the phil wood sycip frame. both still going strong. i'll be on the BuSS later today. i love that bike.

take care sparty.

meatier showers
    Yup, that's the guy... silver SS.

Hey, we were on the same OBR. Come to think of it, it was '91 that OBR went from Joseph (near Wallowa Lake) to Lincoln City. I was recovering from an injury in '92 (bad road crash, lost a lot of skin) so drove a sag wagon that year. Anyway, there we were in '92.

I rode with DAS once or twice but it's been years.

If you get up here to visit your son, let's go riding. The Disciples of Dirt (local "club" <--quotes appropriate) have scratched ~20 miles of singletrack into the foothills west of town. It's an amazing spider web. Could show it to you.

Meanwhile have fun in AK. Wait a minute, is that Arkansas or Alaska... can't remember...

Okay, back to work on my time machine...

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

mtbr member
    i'll keep you posted on my next visit.

AK, the 49th state, where we can see russia from our window.

meatier showers
    Cool. Russia... awesome.

Hey don't feel obligated to reply to anything else on this thread. I'm sure we agree that it should be abandoned or it'll never drop off the bottom of the page, where hopefully its title will never be seen again.

Take care y'all, whether single or dingle or geared or rigid or FS or DH or CX or tandem or... you get the idea.

Hey, I feel better already.

If I don't see you in the future, I'll see you in the pasture.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Working Man's Toilet
    If you have a single dingle berry does this qualify you for the single club?

mtbr member
    Maybe we should rename the forum to Single Speed & Other Oddities
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

default title
    Sparty, your initial statement is absolutely correct: " A dinglespeed is not a singlespeed"

Yeah, that's why it's called a dinglespeed. Is this some kind of Jedi Master-of-the-Obvious trickery, or are you really that fevered that you had an moment of epiphany upon this "realization"?

You're a quack.
    ___
    _

meatier showers

You are correct, Sir

Quote Originally Posted by j e SS e

You're a quack.
    Sadly I'm slowly learning that the road to perfection is a far longer one than I expected it to be. In fact, the farther down it I go (which is not to imply that I'm very far along at all), the clearer I see it stretch out in front of me, ever longer to the horizon.

Maybe I'll just camp here.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast