mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Dimension cogs??

Noob question here. I already searched the archive but didn't see much on this.

I have a SE Stout 29er with a splined 18t cog on it (no idea what brand) and I'm looking to replace it with a 20t, without spending a lot of $. I have no experience with changing cogs on a SS. Will I run into any compatibility issues with a splined cog from Dimension cogs?
    SE Racing Stout 29er

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    If you have a cassette mechanism, you should have no problems. Most cassettes (I mean freehubs) take the same size cogs (inner diameter). You need a chainwhip and a cassette remover with a wrench to get it off. Now the only problem you may have is if the spacers won't fit the new cog width, then you may need a few smaller sized spacers.
    Last edited by allroy71; 03-22-2012 at 02:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    allroy - I'm going to post a pic in just a bit because I don't actually know what a cassette mechanism looks like...
    SE Racing Stout 29er

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Here are a few pics

Here's what I'm talking about. I don't know by the look of this whether it is a cassette style or freewheel... I imagine since the gear is splined that it slides on like a cassette would? I will borrow a friends cassette tool and chainwhip as suggested.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dimension cogs??-gear-1.jpg  

Dimension cogs??-gear-2.jpg  

SE Racing Stout 29er

mtbr member
    Dimension brand cogs are the exact same as your above cog. They should be the exact same width. Dimensions are stamped steel like you have. That is a cassette cog and I'm sure it'll work. You shouldn't need to change your alignment/spacers at all. Just pop off and slide on.

mtbr member
    Your chain will become shorter in a sense with the larger cog also. So, depending on how much slack your chain has now or room in your dropouts...you might need a couple links. Or upgrade the chain alltogether

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Any cheap stamped cog will work as long as it is 3/32. I have the same bike and the chain is long enough to allow the use of a 21 tooth cog (yes, we have mountains here). It shortened the chainstays a little too, which has really helped the bike out for climbing. It's easy to change as long as you get the tools from your friend. I played with cheap cogs and then settled on a better surly cog when I got my tooth count dialed for my trails (bad hills).

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Looks like jmmorath and trrubicon06 got it covered here!! Enjoy the extra spin of the 20t.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Many thanks, all!
    SE Racing Stout 29er

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Got the 20t on yesterday; it works much better for me than the 18t. Thanks for the feedback, I had no missteps along the way.
    SE Racing Stout 29er