Dimension cogs??

Printable View

• 03-22-2012
    TallChris
    Dimension cogs??
    Noob question here. I already searched the archive but didn't see much on this.

I have a SE Stout 29er with a splined 18t cog on it (no idea what brand) and I'm looking to replace it with a 20t, without spending a lot of $. I have no experience with changing cogs on a SS. Will I run into any compatibility issues with a splined cog from Dimension cogs?
  • 03-22-2012
    allroy71
    If you have a cassette mechanism, you should have no problems. Most cassettes (I mean freehubs) take the same size cogs (inner diameter). You need a chainwhip and a cassette remover with a wrench to get it off. Now the only problem you may have is if the spacers won't fit the new cog width, then you may need a few smaller sized spacers.
  • 03-22-2012
    TallChris
    allroy - I'm going to post a pic in just a bit because I don't actually know what a cassette mechanism looks like...
  • 03-23-2012
    TallChris
    2 Attachment(s)
    Here are a few pics
    Here's what I'm talking about. I don't know by the look of this whether it is a cassette style or freewheel... I imagine since the gear is splined that it slides on like a cassette would? I will borrow a friends cassette tool and chainwhip as suggested.
  • 03-23-2012
    jmmorath
    Dimension brand cogs are the exact same as your above cog. They should be the exact same width. Dimensions are stamped steel like you have. That is a cassette cog and I'm sure it'll work. You shouldn't need to change your alignment/spacers at all. Just pop off and slide on.
  • 03-23-2012
    trrubicon06
    Your chain will become shorter in a sense with the larger cog also. So, depending on how much slack your chain has now or room in your dropouts...you might need a couple links. Or upgrade the chain alltogether
  • 03-23-2012
    SS Hack
    Any cheap stamped cog will work as long as it is 3/32. I have the same bike and the chain is long enough to allow the use of a 21 tooth cog (yes, we have mountains here). It shortened the chainstays a little too, which has really helped the bike out for climbing. It's easy to change as long as you get the tools from your friend. I played with cheap cogs and then settled on a better surly cog when I got my tooth count dialed for my trails (bad hills).
  • 03-23-2012
    allroy71
    Looks like jmmorath and trrubicon06 got it covered here!! Enjoy the extra spin of the 20t.
  • 03-23-2012
    TallChris
    Many thanks, all!
  • 04-06-2012
    TallChris
    Got the 20t on yesterday; it works much better for me than the 18t. Thanks for the feedback, I had no missteps along the way.