Des(s)ert Rat

Didn't ride my ss today.... X-post.

I didn't ride it because it was getting used by another rider, my son! He has been eyeing the Surly for some time now and I thought he ought to really give it a shot before he decides it's the thing for him.

I took him on a short ride, the perfect ss loop in our area. He LOVED it! Not just a little, but really enjoyed it.

It wasn't immediate, more like a slow burn to a raging fire. Up the wash he noted the differences between the ride qualities (he usually has gears and full suspension), but didn't complain. Although we did have a good laugh when he didn't lift that rigid fork to make it up a simple ledge, he's used to the suspension doing the job for him.

I rode behind him and let him choose the pace and when we would stop. I was pleasantly surprised that he didn't have to dismount for any of the hills or technical sections. After the initial shock of riding a rigid bike he began to really ride the ss, really feel the ss soul. He started noticing how the power to the pedals went immediately to the wheels. Being the science/physics kid he was truly enthralled. He also noted the precision due to the rigid frame and when he experienced the precision with the easy jumpability (is that a word?) he was in heaven.

I think we have a young convert.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by screampint
    I didn't ride it because it was getting used by another rider, my son! He has been eyeing the Surly for some time now and I thought he ought to really give it a shot before he decides it's the thing for him.

I took him on a short ride, the perfect ss loop in our area. He LOVED it! Not just a little, but really enjoyed it.

It wasn't immediate, more like a slow burn to a raging fire. Up the wash he noted the differences between the ride qualities (he usually has gears and full suspension), but didn't complain. Although we did have a good laugh when he didn't lift that rigid fork to make it up a simple ledge, he's used to the suspension doing the job for him.

I rode behind him and let him choose the pace and when we would stop. I was pleasantly surprised that he didn't have to dismount for any of the hills or technical sections. After the initial shock of riding a rigid bike he began to really ride the ss, really feel the ss soul. He started noticing how the power to the pedals went immediately to the wheels. Being the science/physics kid he was truly enthralled. He also noted the precision due to the rigid frame and when he experienced the precision with the easy jumpability (is that a word?) he was in heaven.

I think we have a young convert.
    Resistance is futile. He will be assimilated.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Des(s)ert Rat
    I'm just worried that I've created a monster! Good thing I kept him off of it until now. My new bike should be in this week and if I had let him borrow it before now I would have lost my Surly long ago. Luckily he goes back to school tomorrow, so the bike is mine until the new one arrives.

Unlike me, I think he will get into the gear ratios and have fun with the combinations. I just want to ride and the simpler the better for me.

paintbucket
    That's some risk you're taking. Hope your new ride gets in otherwise you might find yourself walking.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Des(s)ert Rat
    Well, I rode my HT today and didn't shift once! What's funny is that he said the only time he missed the gears was when he was descending and wanted to go faster. That's the same way I felt when I first started. Didn't mind pedaling up the hills.

Besides, I can still take him. I think I still have 15 pounds on him.