mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Diamondback Overdrive 29er as a single-speed

I got a great deal on an Overdrive 29er last year so I figured I'd pick it up and ride it for the summer. Needless to say, I'm thinking this bike is actually a SS 29er just waiting to be born. I'm going to be doing an SS conversion to it by in the next few weeks. I'll also be junking the front shock and going with a rigid fork and also looking at replacing the stock handlebars with the Origin8 Space Off Road bars for a little more sweep.

My idea is to turn this bike into a bad ass fire-road machine. Basically, I can't wait to drop the pounds on this thing and just ride the crap out of it.
    Has anyone done a similar conversion to their Overdrive? I'm just curious what the end product looked like. Any feedback or photos would be great.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Dltd
    Last edited by 1SPDBING; 03-15-2014 at 05:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Wow! That is a great looking setup! I looked through your photo thread and am wondering if you stripped this bike down further and painted it flat black or is that another bike? The frame geometry looks very similar.

I found a brand new, unused Kona 29er Unit fork that I'm going to replace the XCT with. I've got a DMR single speed conversion kit with the tensioner that is going on there as well as a 33t single speed ring up front. I've ordered a set of Origin8 Space Off-Road bars as well. I need the sweep on the bars because I've had both shoulders rebuilt and I get some pretty bad shoulder pain when I'm "chicken winged" over flat bars. Hopefully I'll have it converted this weekend.
    Thanks for sharing the photos!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Dltd
    Last edited by 1SPDBING; 03-15-2014 at 05:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Your bikes are very nice and clean. Great work! Okay, I just dropped my bike off at the local shop tonight so that they can begin the SS conversion. I can't wait to get back into the fully rigid, 29er SS game again. It's been three years since I've had this type of set up so I'm pretty stoked!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Well, I just got my converted Overdrive back from the LBS and I love it! I put a DMR single-speed conversion kit on the rear, a new Race Face single-speed crankset with a 32T ring and new bottom bracket as well as a new pair of Origin 8 Pro Torq Space Off Road Bars. Since the DMR conversion kit came with a 16T cog I ordered up a Surly 20T which will be much better as I'll be running 32 X 20 on this. Oh, I also swapped out the crappy Suntour XCT fork for a rigid Kona Unit fork.

I absolutely love the feel of these alt bars. I've discolated both my right and left shoulders and have had them both surgically repaired so having my hands at a slight angle really helps keep my shoulders from aching and getting "twitchy."

Diamondback Overdrive 29er as a single-speed-ss29er.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Dltd
    Last edited by 1SPDBING; 03-15-2014 at 05:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Just curious, if you don't mind. What was the total cost of the conversion? Atleast how much did your LBS charge to do it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    No problem...my LBS (which is the bomb) installed the DMR single speed conversion kit and the chain tensioner and the Race Face single speed cranks and new bottom bracket at no charge. I purchased the items through the LBS and that was one of the perks of going local. I could have gotten the items a little cheaper on-line but to me it's worth supporting local LBS' and I know things will be installed correctly. The entire DMR set up was about $50 and the cranks and bottom bracket were $100. They did charge me $30 to install the new fork and I put on the bars myself. All told, with the price of the new bars I'm into the conversion about $200.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hey, I have a 2012 Overdrive and I want to drop the xct for a rigid fork. How does the bike feel with the lowered front end? Is this the P2 fork with 465mm a2c? Thanks.