zeebot

dh riser bar vs flat bar + bar ends???

I currently have the easton dh monkey lite carbon riser bar. 28" wide for those that don't know. I'm becoming a bit tired of clipping my hands and/or bars on trees while riding or at the very least struggling to fit between trees forcing me to drastically reduce my speed.

I'm debating getting a flat bar with some bar ends. any opinions on climbing efficiency with one vs the other?

which type of bar ends should i look in to? i've never used 'em before...

bike geek

Flat + bar ends

I'd been using a 26" wide Moots riser for the past few years for SS until just recently when I switched to a 22" wide flat bar w/ bar ends. I did my first long ride with them this weekend that included probably 3,000 feet of climbing and lots of tight twisty singletrack. I was LOVING the narrow bars for threading between trees/shrubs, and it felt like I was able to get more leverage by grabbing the bar ends that I ever was with the riser. It just felt better to grab on to the bar ends and pull hard than wrestle with a riser.

As for which bar ends to use, I think mine are 10+ year old Control Stix, but I don't remember. these are nice too.

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by tamjam
    I'd been using a 26" wide Moots riser for the past few years for SS until just recently when I switched to a 22" wide flat bar w/ bar ends. I did my first long ride with them this weekend that included probably 3,000 feet of climbing and lots of tight twisty singletrack. I was LOVING the narrow bars for threading between trees/shrubs, and it felt like I was able to get more leverage by grabbing the bar ends that I ever was with the riser. It just felt better to grab on to the bar ends and pull hard than wrestle with a riser.

As for which bar ends to use, I think mine are 10+ year old Control Stix, but I don't remember. these are nice too.
    what type of flat bar did you get...Ti, carbon, al? I was thinking the same thing regarding leverage. it's just a much better angle for the hands to pull. did you get a new stem since the height is changed a bit?

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

just went from a riser to a flat bar...

i took my interloc carbon riser (i think 2" wide) off and replaced it with a moots 23" flat ti bar, with 8* bend. i still have to get some barends, maybe some singletrack solutions. i also like the comfort of the ti bar.

i'd say, try the ti flat bar. some think they are flexy. i do feel alittle flex...but that's the nature of ti...and the comfort outweighs the minimal flex.

seven does custom lengths and bends for $100!!! i think i'll try for a 25" bar with 8* bend in a couple of weeks if i feel the moots is abit narrow for my taste after the barends are added

climbing, i think it feel just about the same if you have the barends for some extra leverage when needed.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou
    I currently have the easton dh monkey lite carbon riser bar. 28" wide for those that don't know. I'm becoming a bit tired of clipping my hands and/or bars on trees while riding or at the very least struggling to fit between trees forcing me to drastically reduce my speed.

I'm debating getting a flat bar with some bar ends. any opinions on climbing efficiency with one vs the other?

Last edited by Kam; 10-18-2004 at 10:02 AM. Reason: o

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    i took my interloc carbon riser (i think 2" wide) off and replaced it with a moots 23" flat ti bar, with 8* bend. i still have to get some barends, maybe some singletrack solutions. i also like the comfort of the ti bar.

i'd say, try the ti flat bar. some think they are flexy. i do feel alittle flex...but that's the nature of ti...and the comfort outweighs the minimal flex.

seven does custom lengths and bends for $100!!! i think i'll try for a 25" bar with 8* bend in a couple of weeks if i feel the moots is abit narrow for my taste after the barends are added

climbing, i think it feel just about the same if you have the barends for some extra leverage when needed.

cheers
    did you have to change your stem?

bike geek

Steel Sycip

what type of flat bar did you get...Ti, carbon, al? I was thinking the same thing regarding leverage. it's just a much better angle for the hands to pull. did you get a new stem since the height is changed a bit?
    I use this recent eBay score. It's steel. I did not (could not) adjust for the lower height, because it's a one piece bar/stem combo. It really just brings me down into a more comfortable riding position...I always felt too "up" with the riser.

try driving your car less

going through the same thing... when I get the dinero, I am going to get a flat ti bar and some cane creek ergo control bar ends that integrate with the ODI lock on grips. The big problem is that if you get a bar with a good amount of sweep, it will make the bar ends stick out at a wierd angle. So somewhere in the middle would be nice.
    But $100 for a nice flat ti bar and $40 for some bars - you start getting into the cost of the jones Hbar...
    for now I just keep riding what I have. I just find myself sort of holding on to the end of the risers (but no bar ends).

Just get a stem with more rise (or put spacers under the stem) to account for the lowered flat bars.
    Only boring people get bored.

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    going through the same thing... when I get the dinero, I am going to get a flat ti bar and some cane creek ergo control bar ends that integrate with the ODI lock on grips. The big problem is that if you get a bar with a good amount of sweep, it will make the bar ends stick out at a wierd angle. So somewhere in the middle would be nice.
    But $100 for a nice flat ti bar and $40 for some bars - you start getting into the cost of the jones Hbar...
    for now I just keep riding what I have. I just find myself sort of holding on to the end of the risers (but no bar ends).

Just get a stem with more rise (or put spacers under the stem) to account for the lowered flat bars.
    Hmm...I think I might get the Sette flat bar 23" with 5 deg bend for 40 bucks and the single track solutions bar ends. Noticed the comment on ODI lock ons. I use those so maybe the single track solutions won't work?

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    When I went from a Monkeylite to a flat Seven bar, I switched to a stem with a little rise so the difference wouldn't be so noticeable. After riding it for a while, I wanted it even lower, so I chopped the steerer and dropped the whole thing down. It's super comfy now.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    The big problem is that if you get a bar with a good amount of sweep, it will make the bar ends stick out at a wierd angle.
    'xactly. If you can get yourself some older bar ends, some of them swept more inward than all the offerings I've ever seen lately. I've tried my wife's Cane Creek bar ends on my bike, and with the 11 degree bend of my bars, they are really opened up for catching trees.

Whatever! Just crash it!

Riser bar lovers are annoying...

Not really... but it made for a flashy Title line...

I always get grief for my flat bars. I can't tell you how many times I hear that "Riser bars are so much more comfortable." I know that wasn't an issue that you brought up, but I'm gonna express my first amendment rights about it anyways.

Every individual has a particular bar height that is comfortable for them. It is based on your body dimentions and riding style. If you're happy with the height of your riser bars and you switch to flat bars, you'll probably have to change your stem to get the right positioning.

Enough on that....

I ride carbon flat bars with carbon bar ends. I have almost no sweep to my bars (3 degrees and it is sweeping down) so the bar ends don't stick out too much. It is a configuration that I've run for years and is very comfortable to me. I'd have gone with a cheaper setup if I were building from scratch, but since my SS is a recycled racing hardtail from the days when I thought I was a badass, I've just stuck with the bars that I had. They work.

I definitely don't hit my hands as often with the bar ends and flat bars. I get plenty of leverage and they feel great when powering up hills.

That said, if you ever do hook your bars, the resulting crash seems to be a bit more violent than just whacking your hand. There's a level of magnitude to the crash that involves hooking. It doesn't only send you flying over, its almost like it flings you off your bike with a bit of a whip. I did a mellow version of that two weeks ago and it was an interesting feeling. I felt it coming a split second before it happened, so I just ended up walking off the bike with a little piroette (sp?). I got grace points from my riding partner, but I was amazed by the speed with which I was dismounted. It wasn't a normal tip-over walk-off.

I hope that this babble is of some use to someone. This is the Internet, so I guess a certain percentage (usually about 95) is devoted to useless drivel.

If anyone else out there tells me how comfortable their riser bars are, I'm going to get Hans Blixx to write you a letter saying that he's very angry with you.

Have a nice day, dammit!
    If a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. If a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $3.95 per minute.

Bike Wrench Blog ** Unfortunate Series of Events

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

no stem swap...

i've got a avid saago stem and love the thing to death. incredibley stiff and a sweet collet design...and it's super smooth at all angles. switching out forks would be a pain, but i never do that.

going from riser to flat did lower the cockpit, but no a huge amount. the bars at about level with my saddle, which is pretty much right where i want it.

cheers!

Last edited by Kam; 10-18-2004 at 11:56 AM. Reason: .

try driving your car less
    Hmm...I think I might get the Sette flat bar 23" with 5 deg bend for 40 bucks and the single track solutions bar ends. Noticed the comment on ODI lock ons. I use those so maybe the single track solutions won't work?
    That's going to be much narrower than the big wide dh bar. 23" vs 28", and you will lose some width from the clamped on bar ends. just something to consider.

edit: adding one thing to consider: as a bar gets wider, i feel like it needs more sweep. i sort of imagine an arc coming out from the stem clamp. so a narrow bar can have little sweep and feel OK. but a wide bar should have more sweep. make sense? imagine a really wide bar with no sweep. wierd wrist angles!
    Last edited by jh_on_the_cape; 10-18-2004 at 12:09 PM. Reason: yankees suck
    Only boring people get bored.

indigosky

I know Spooky...

that you enjoy the finer things hanging off your bike. Have you tried the Jones H-Bar? IMHO it is the most natural way that my hands/arms/wrists have ever connected to any bike. More natural = more comfortable = more power.

Plus the ti bling factor is there too.

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by indigosky
    that you enjoy the finer things hanging off your bike. Have you tried the Jones H-Bar? IMHO it is the most natural way that my hands/arms/wrists have ever connected to any bike. More natural = more comfortable = more power.

Plus the ti bling factor is there too.
    Yes, I've considered the H-bar but it seems like so many issues arise I always shy away. One, i've NO clue what stem size I would need and I'm almost positive my current 120mm 5 deg would not work judging by his website. Two, he has three choices to pick from. Three, it costs 150 dollars and if I don't like it there's a nicely wasted chunk of change for a unique coat hanger bolted to the wall.

indigosky

see, the perfect excuse...

Three, it costs 150 dollars and if I don't like it there's a nicely wasted chunk of change for a unique coat hanger bolted to the wall.
    see, the perfect excuse... to come visit Maine in the fall, and demo H-bars. I've got em on both my 1x1 and the Karate Monkey. Take your pick.

BTW, there are enough folks interested in the bars that you wouldn't take too much of a hit unloading them, garontee!

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by indigosky
    see, the perfect excuse... to come visit Maine in the fall, and demo H-bars. I've got em on both my 1x1 and the Karate Monkey. Take your pick.

BTW, there are enough folks interested in the bars that you wouldn't take too much of a hit unloading them, garontee!
    Thanks for the offer...you are around Bangor? How long until the temps get too painful for riding in the area? in other words below 32F for me.

indigosky

Not frozen yet...

Thanks for the offer...you are around Bangor? How long until the temps get too painful for riding in the area? in other words below 32F for me.
    Yes, there are some fantastic trails in Bangor & Orono among others. Probably another month before temps really start to drop. Highs are about 50 - 55 right now.

What is really fun though is when the snow mobile trails get packed down with snow, thaw a little bit and then hit a really cold spell. They are completly frozen, but not icy. It reminds me of riding Moab in a way, nice rolling swoopy stuff, and the best part is because it's frozen, your bike doesn't get clogged with snow. Fun for sure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Flatbar and Bar Ends

I use a Moots flatbar (5deg) with the Cane Creek Ergo bar ends. They're a fairly new item for me (less than a year) but I really like them.

Both for leverage while climbing as well as offering different hand positions on cruises. I really like the centralized positioning of having some of the bar end on both sides of the flatbar.

Very comfortable and stable. They mate up nicely with the ODI grips too.

My $.02
    ssRR

Jackass
    Jan 2004

Sette stuff etc

Check out the Sette carbon bar ends. I've got some of them, and really like them.
    They're very nicely shaped, sturdy, cheap, and kinda nice looking.

I've only ridden risers on other peoples bikes, but I really feel like I can bear down
    and honk better with barends+flats. More natural wrist position, and to me it's better
    that they aren't so wide - I can pull more directly - i.e. my elbows are closer to my
    torso and the pulling is very similar to "curling". Using the biceps more than the
    shoulders and what-not. It's very nice on long climbs like Curtis Ck. because your
    body position is almost like you're just standing up climbing some stairs. I don't really
    WANT my arms to be way out from my torso. Of course, you also know that I am a
    miserable skinny weakling with the upper body strength of a worm.

When you heading back this way?

Zak B.
    No hairSShirts.

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by brewSSard
    Check out the Sette carbon bar ends. I've got some of them, and really like them.
    They're very nicely shaped, sturdy, cheap, and kinda nice looking.

I've only ridden risers on other peoples bikes, but I really feel like I can bear down
    and honk better with barends+flats. More natural wrist position, and to me it's better
    that they aren't so wide - I can pull more directly - i.e. my elbows are closer to my
    torso and the pulling is very similar to "curling". Using the biceps more than the
    shoulders and what-not. It's very nice on long climbs like Curtis Ck. because your
    body position is almost like you're just standing up climbing some stairs. I don't really
    WANT my arms to be way out from my torso. Of course, you also know that I am a
    miserable skinny weakling with the upper body strength of a worm.

When you heading back this way?

Zak B.
    I was going to mention some of the influence was I got beat in a long climb by a guy on curtis ck road and he was using a flat bar and ends but deleted it.

Would head down this year but I need input as to how the riding is in November or possibly even December? Don't mind cold as long as it's above 40F and no snow on the ground. Will definitely be down again next spring. Want to do the pisgah death march?

Jackass
    Jan 2004

Riding

I was going to mention some of the influence was I got beat in a long climb by a guy on curtis ck road and he was using a flat bar and ends but deleted it.

Would head down this year but I need input as to how the riding is in November or possibly even December? Don't mind cold as long as it's above 40F and no snow on the ground. Will definitely be down again next spring. Want to do the pisgah death march?
    Haven't been here for a November yet, but December was OK. It never gets THAT cold,
    so as long as it's not raining it's fine. If you need an excuse, come on down for the
    Swank 65. If you want info e me - zbss"at"bellsouth"dot"net. Looks like a really good
    time.

Already got a teammate commitment for the Death March - my boy Shane The Super
    Clyde wants another stab at it. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a partner if
    you want one though. A post over at the North Carolina board including your credentials
    should do it.

I'm not going to claim victory on Curtis Ck. until we can do it again on a day when
    you haven't got 200 miles of Pisgah in your legs.

Off topic - You should really check out Shenendoah Mountain 100 next year, if you
    haven't already. Right up your alley. It was completely awesome. Huge course, huge
    miles, huge climbs, huge SS turnout, hugely fun trails. It was definitely a quality event.

ZB
    No hairSShirts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I use both...

I'm running medium-length, curved-tip bar-ends on super-wide Azonic DH rise bars. Rise bars, bar width, and bar ends solve different problems. Rise bars rotate your weight back, generally a good thing. Wide bars open up you chest for better breathing, and give increased leverage. Both are good things for singlespeeding, IMHO. Bar ends give you a high-leverage position with a more natural wrist angle. This works better when standing up, pulling hard on the bars, and rocking the bike. I do that a whole lot when climbing on the SS. ;->

Bar ends on rise bars makes sense. almost no one does it, but it's worth a try. For maximum grippiness when sweat is pouring out of your head all over the bars, wrap your bar-ends with black CatEye cloth tape.

--Shannon