Hassan's Ghost
    Sep 2008

Derailleur Hanger for Hooded Track Drops?

So... my back is all messed up and I all have to ride is dedicated SS. It's got really nice, but now slightly prohibitive hooded track fork slots. I'd really like to cobble together some sort of derailleur hanger for temporary/intermittent solution. Any thoughts?

I found a suggestion for these in a search of the forums.
    http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/cat...4f2b455e578955

Maybe? (Actually I just looked at it more closely. Looks like it would have to be mounted backwards. No go I guess).

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by olapiquena
    So... my back is all messed up and I all have to ride is dedicated SS. It's got really nice, but now slightly prohibitive hooded track fork slots. I'd really like to cobble together some sort of derailleur hanger for temporary/intermittent solution. Any thoughts?

I found a suggestion for these in a search of the forums.
    http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/cat...4f2b455e578955

Maybe? (Actually I just looked at it more closely. Looks like it would have to be mounted backwards. No go I guess).

Thanks.
    I don't think you'd have to run it backwards, it's still rear facing dropout. May need to do some grinding and filing to make it fit, but that might be an option. I wish I had the dropout for my chameleon so I could test it on my road frame for you.

EDIT: Now that I've looked at the picture more closely, I think you're right.
    Last edited by DanD; 11-07-2008 at 10:01 AM.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    DMR

Hassan's Ghost
    Sep 2008

The hoods, the hoods

I'm not sure this (The DMR) will work, without a whole lot grinding. Pretty sure it will catch the hood. That said, I'll see what the builder says, he's got the frame right now anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    You may be stuck running an internal gear hub, or you could look for a shimano saint rear wheel and derailure that bolts directly to the axel on the saint hubs.

If you go the saint route, make sure that you pick up the derailure for horizontal dropouts, and the hubs with 135 for a 10mm axel. Jenson has the derailure, and pricepoint has the wheelset. Not cheap, but cheaper than a new bike.

Of course, there is nothing to say that the hoods will not interfere with the derailure until you have one to play with.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006

I have the DMR

on a 1x1. I had to grind the DMR hangers a small bit to slide into the hoods. Works great. 9 spd rear with the1x1 becomes the 1xsome

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    The Problem Solvers version of the DMR derailleur hanger/chain tug fits in the hooded dropouts (track-fork-ends) of my Surly 1x1 without any mods. Fits perfectly. Also matches my Problem Solvers Direct Mount for the front derailleur.

one chain loop
    brainnss..
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.