mtbr member
    Aug 2009

deore lx crankset to replace sugino single chainring crankset

I bought a used trek multitrack 700 setup single speed with a sugino single chainring crankset and a bmx freewheel on a freewheel hub. The left crank ended up falling off mid ride and long story short, I need a new bb and crankset. I'm thinking about getting a deore lx crankset and bb off of ebay as a replacement for multi gear options in the future.

Does anyone see any issues with using this crankset with only a single chainring with the current freewheel hub wheel? Would I need to redish? Anything else?

Thanks in advance.

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by ninesky
    I bought a used trek multitrack 700 setup single speed with a sugino single chainring crankset and a bmx freewheel on a freewheel hub. The left crank ended up falling off mid ride and long story short, I need a new bb and crankset. I'm thinking about getting a deore lx crankset and bb off of ebay as a replacement for multi gear options in the future.

Does anyone see any issues with using this crankset with only a single chainring with the current freewheel hub wheel? Would I need to redish? Anything else?

Thanks in advance.
    Shimano makes good cranks and the old Deore LX components held up very well; you could do worse..
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!