mtbr member
    Oct 2008

decision time....

Hey everyone here is my dilemma, let the opinions fly!
    I have been researching 29ers for awhile now and have narrowed it down to two different options. I live in Bend Oregon so I really don't need a full sus bike. I thought it would be fun to try a rigid SS.

First option:
    Get a Singular Swift frame and build it up...this option sounds like a lot of fun. But the frame would have to sit for awhile before I could complete the build I want to.

Second option:
    Raleigh XXIX and upgrade parts down the road....benefit to this option is riding sooner....but not all the parts I really want.

Thanks for any comments

mtbr member
    My vote is for the XXIX. I ride one and love it. I have upgraded the wheelset and some other components, but the frame is nuke-proof.

mtbr member
    If you already have a bike, go the singular route and get the build you really want. If your without a cycle, grab the XXIX and get on the trails asap
    read KNOBBY MEATS or be sadly ignorant of the mediocrity that is allowed to exist in the interwebs

bikexor
    So are you new to SS totally, or just to 29r SS?

If you were totally brand new I'd get a complete bike. That way you can see if you even like SS/29r and you'll have a better idea what parts need to be replaced/upgraded instead of just buying a bunch of parts, throwing them together, and hoping they work alright. You can usually craigslist or ebay any take-offs you end up with down the road.

Building a bike from the frame up ain't cheap either.

mtbr member
    Monocog

Birthday Collector
    Here's another nod to the XXIX. Mine has been a great ride for 2-1/2 years now. I have "upgraded" the crank to a Shimano LX, brakes to Juicy Carbon, and changed the bars to Titec Jones-design J-bars with a different stem. Still using the same wheels, saddle, post, etc.... Seatpost will be next tho. Then headset. Wheels have been great - not light but completely trouble free. Still have the ORIGINAL chainring and rear cog, but the ring is getting ready to replace and the cog will go at the same time. On the 3rd chain but this bike has over 3,500 miles on it SS and I am still amazed the alum ring is hanging in there... 1/8" stuff lasts a long time! This is the best value bike I have ever owned. It is effectively the only MTB I have now, as I don't ride my remaining 26" FS and have sold the other FS bike too.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member

so troll of me

whoops - sorry, not in this thread, sorry sorry sorry sorry...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    New to SS and 29er. Although I have ridden a few 29ers. I have been researching frames and parts for about 4 months now...at first I really wanted to do a 1X6 (using a SS rear hub...like hope II or Hadley) but I figured I might as well try SS to see if I like it and if not then spend the money for 1X6 setup. I definitely get the not cheap part of building up from scratch.

for those of you who have the XXIX what size frame would you recommend...I'm just under 6' 3" around a 34" inseam....

mtbr member
    For a guy your size I would suggest you go for the XL.

Birthday Collector
    I would also think that the XL is your likely best bet. Try at least the large. FWIW I am 5'9" with a 31" inseam and ride a Medium but thought about a Small. Medium with a slightly shorter stem (until I went with the Jones 'bars) worked well and was comfortable enough for a few 40+ mile days. The XXIX frame is nice at absorbing shock and feeling slightly springy without being a flex-monster.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

Sawyer Gnome
    I'm 6' with a 35" inseam and absolutely love the fit of my L XXIX. But I do tend to like a slightly smaller rather than slightly bigger bike. Only been riding this bike a month but I'm in love already. I was in the same build vs buy boat, but went with the XXIX to get on the trails sooner. Was the right choice for me.
    Raleigh XXIX

mtbr member
    I'm 6' 1" with a 34 in. inseam and I ride the Lg. I did buy my bike before there was an XL option, so I may have stepped up to the XL given the option. I like to ride more in the bike than on top. I feel that I need to extend my seat post all the way out to get proper pedal fit. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Are you going to be content with Raleigh a year or two down the road? If the answer is yes, disregard the rest of this rant.

I see a lot posts where guys are riding really heavy frames and are looking to dump a ton of money into it to lighten it up,which goes back to the building a bike up. It's so easy to forget how much money you sink into a bike when it is done little by little, unless you are waiting for super cheap used prices

I wanted to get into ss and did not have the money to buy exactly what i wanted at first and there were no sweet used bikes (The guy who rode it a few times and realized it was not for him). I got a great deal on a used SS that would do for the time being. I rode it for 8 months and just surfed CL and mtbr to find a sweet built up bike that some guy sunk that cash into but had to sell it.

Sure enough over the winter i scored a TI SS for an incredible deal and then sold my used SS come spring time and did not take a huge hit on it.

On a side not I am headed out to bend soon and bringing my SS. Any suggestions on great rides there? I have heard incredible things about biking in bend!!!!
    Can't wait

Quote Originally Posted by rcheney
    Hey everyone here is my dilemma, let the opinions fly!
    I have been researching 29ers for awhile now and have narrowed it down to two different options. I live in Bend Oregon so I really don't need a full sus bike. I thought it would be fun to try a rigid SS.

First option:
    Get a Singular Swift frame and build it up...this option sounds like a lot of fun. But the frame would have to sit for awhile before I could complete the build I want to.

Second option:
    Raleigh XXIX and upgrade parts down the road....benefit to this option is riding sooner....but not all the parts I really want.

Thanks for any comments

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm a little (OK, more than a little) biased toward the Singular, and Marty could do you some good deals on parts as well I'm sure, give him a call. It need not be soo expensive as paying full retail on everything - which I agree does not make for an economical way to build a bike.
    Yes - I do own Singular Cycles

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Sorry this reply took so long cbrock...family reunion stuff. I haven't been out on any of the trails lately because of work, school, and other stuff. But I can image the rain the last few nights helped with some of the "softness" of some of the lower trails. I love any of the "upper" trails this time of the year...phils system gets pretty soft...slower, but fun still. whenever you get here make sure to go into any of the local bike shops and get a map and ask whats riding well right now...Im sure they will point you in the right direction...if you have any questions feel free to ask. What kind of mountain biking do you enjoy?
    there are also some good threads on Bend trails if you do some searching. Hope that helps...

At this point I'm kinda waiting to see if we are going to buy a house or rent for awhile before I pull the trigger on either bike. I really like the Swift and want the experience of building something up myself with the parts I want. So it really comes down to available cash

Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450
    Are you going to be content with Raleigh a year or two down the road? If the answer is yes, disregard the rest of this rant.

I see a lot posts where guys are riding really heavy frames and are looking to dump a ton of money into it to lighten it up,which goes back to the building a bike up. It's so easy to forget how much money you sink into a bike when it is done little by little, unless you are waiting for super cheap used prices

I wanted to get into ss and did not have the money to buy exactly what i wanted at first and there were no sweet used bikes (The guy who rode it a few times and realized it was not for him). I got a great deal on a used SS that would do for the time being. I rode it for 8 months and just surfed CL and mtbr to find a sweet built up bike that some guy sunk that cash into but had to sell it.

Sure enough over the winter i scored a TI SS for an incredible deal and then sold my used SS come spring time and did not take a huge hit on it.

On a side not I am headed out to bend soon and bringing my SS. Any suggestions on great rides there? I have heard incredible things about biking in bend!!!!
    Can't wait