mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Decent factory wheel for a WI Dos Eno?

The LBS is converting my Surly Ogre (29er) to a Dos Eno, but can't source a factory wheel with a screw-in hub to match the freewheel (apparently the cool kids are all about splines these days).

A hand-built wheel will cost double the price, which I'm not cool with since going dingle is an experiment that may not last.

Anyone suggestions on decent factory wheels for sale online that'll take a screw-in?

mtbr member

Re: Decent factory wheel for a WI Dos Eno?

I wasnt able to find one other than factory wheels on my karate monkey.

I'd look for a used handbuilt wheel. I've been considering listing a flow/surly wheelset on here and dont know your budget but think itd be pretty cheap. I'm also open to selling just the rear and putting a knard up front - if I get the time to take pictures and post an ad I will link it in this forum. For now theyre listed in ss parts swap thread if you have any gear collecting dust
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Cheers. I'm hunting around for a used wheel, but no luck.

I should have mentioned I'm in Australia, which limits me a bit because it costs about $200 to post a wheel here from the US!

mtbr member
    Oof yeah that'll hurt ya. Not sure of cambriabike's shipping policies but this is basically the same as the stock wheel on KM: Surly 1sp/Salsa Delgado Rear Wheel 100108137 at CambriaBike.com. Only problem is its non-disc, so you'd have to use it with cantis or v's. Have you considered just putting 2 cogs of the same size on your cassette type hub? Never seen a DOS freewheel but I would guess that something with not too wide a base (like the surly cogs) would space it just about right. If its too wide you could get the niner asymmetric cogs and use the flat side of one to tighten the space between the two.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Nice wheel for the price, but no disc brakes. I've got a cog on a cassette hub at the moment, but I'm pretty keen on the WI freewheel. One of the nice things about singlespeed is that you can get a top quality drivetrain for not much money!

If I can get an inexpensive wheel, that is...

mtbr member
    Looks like you'll need to spend some coin if you want the WI freewheel in the rear. A complete wheel will probably run you $200+. You could also get a hub for a threaded freewheel (surly, WI, phil wood are a few options) and rebuild your current wheel around that, but if you can't build the wheel yourself that will end up costing you almost as much.

I would try it out with the two cogs and make sure you like the setup before spending the extra cash on a new wheel or rebuild.

WNC Native
    Not sure what your price range is, but Handspun has one option and it can be purchased through Universal Cycles (who takes & ships international orders).

Here is the link- Universal Cycles -- Surly SS Ultra New/Mavic Tn719d Rear Wheel - 29"
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    That's a very reasonable price. Thanks for the link. I'll contact them for a shipping quote.