mtbr member

Dean Ti SS conversion...

I killed my custom 853 ss earlier this spring, denting the seatstay beyond practical usage. So, I decided to transform my Dean into a ss...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dean Ti SS conversion...-2300dean-001-medium-.jpg  

Dean Ti SS conversion...-2300dean-002-medium-.jpg  

Dean Ti SS conversion...-2300dean-008-medium-.jpg  

Dean Ti SS conversion...-2300dean-006-medium-.jpg  

meatier showers
    Very nice but if I may say so, a frame that sweet is deserving of an FC EBB so you can lose the extraneous tensioner.

But it IS a sweet ride regardless!

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

master blaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Very nice but if I may say so, a frame that sweet is deserving of an FC EBB so you can lose the extraneous tensioner.

--sParty
    first thing i thought of.
    tensioners look so icky

mtbr member
    I don't really mind tensioners too much...at least up until last night when the one on my Kona ss conversion bent and I kept dropping the chain. However, that one is routed as a down-pull, the up-pull on the Dean is WAY more effective.

Either way...the bike rides like a dream.

For the record...it can be yours...http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...ct=56259&cat=4 Gotta make some room in the garage!

mtbr member
    I used a tensioner at first when I converted my older Sampson Ti frame to SS but then found the gear ratios that I liked without to much chain link. Never had a chain come off yet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sommerfliesby

For the record...it can be yours...http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...ct=56259&cat=4 Gotta make some room in the garage!

ummmm I'll rake you leaves and shovel your driveway for the next decade...

sick bike... no disc tab?

give it to me.
    no chain no gain.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Wonderful bike! I wouldn't worry about the tensioner, especially since you have it in push-up mode.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus

--sParty
    What's an FC EBB? Is there an EBB that will fit inside a standard threaded BB shell?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu
    What's an FC EBB? Is there an EBB that will fit inside a standard threaded BB shell?
    That's exactly what it is. I use one, and it's the best tensioning system available in my opinion (including track ends and sliding dropouts). You can buy them here:
    http://www.forwardcycle.com/
    Last edited by bad mechanic; 10-29-2010 at 08:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

FCC EBB I Agree.

I put a FCC EBB on my DEAN and am stoked on it. Looks really clean. Seems to be working well, and a lot less fussing than with my other bikes sliders.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics but you get the idea.

As an aside. There is very little love for DEAN around here due to their lame and deceitful business practices. BUT...there is no better frame for the money in my opinion. Like most high end custom frames, they are true functional art. I have been buying custom surfboards for over 20 years and missed deadlines, lies and waiting are the norm. It is not right, but it just is. The Mosaic Smith looks just like a Colonel, but I am not sure what you get for nearly a grand more (Hopefully on time delivery at least).

OP..thanks for posting your beautiful DEAN. I am lovin it, no matter how you decide to tension the chain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dean Ti SS conversion...-imag0096.jpg  

Dean Ti SS conversion...-imag0098.jpg  

Dean Ti SS conversion...-imag0099.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'm curious, what business practices are you talking about??
    I've been looking at different Ti builders for a future project.
    No I don't work for Dean.
    thanks in advance

mtbr member
    I've heard the same thing, unfortunately. However, it wasn't an issue when I bought my frame. My bro-in-law wanted to order a road bike from them...he got measurements taken, spoke with someone there, ordered it up...and never heard from them again! At least he wasn't out any money, but they yanked him around for like 4 months before he gave up and bought a carbon Trek.

No disc tabs as it's an older frame...but ti is timeless, IMO.

Here it is in geared form...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dean Ti SS conversion...-ishpeming-002-large-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Uh OH!

It was definitely not my intent to turn this into a "DEAN" business thread. I probably should have posted the pics of the EBB and stoke for the OP's bike and been done. Sorry.

To HairyHarris: In short, DEAN is notorious for severely misleading time estimates for bikes (ie: I was told 8 weeks and 24 weeks later the frame arrived). Some have had poor customer service on repairs. For the money you spend on a custom frame you should absolutely expect more.

For me however, $1900 bucks for a totally custom Ti frame with quality and finish on par with any custom builder out there...I can be pretty patient.

Look around. There are a ton of amazing builders who would give you an incredible frame on time or at least close. You may have to pony up more $$ however. I wanted either a Moots or Dean based on the aesthetics I like in a frame, and the two were not even close cost wise. I also felt John from DEAN was totally on the same page with regards to frame geometry etc. I got exactly what I wanted.

I am someone who will always pay extra for quality, but more than that I love VALUE. I dealt with some major frustration to get the frame, but in the end I am happy. So for me DEAN ended up with a A for quality, A+ for Value, D for customer service.

Good luck and I hope in the end you feel as spoiled as I do.

mtbr member
    Gratuitous plug....just dropped the price to $975...new bike is almost ready, somebody buy this one and give it a good home!