mtbr member

De Salvo Cycles?

Anyone tried these singlespeeds?

http://www.desalvocycles.com/?p=steel_single

Not looking for myself - I'm a Spot brand guy , but a buddy is looking at these, mostly, I think, because they're made by hippies in Ashland (kidding - I love Oregon).

Any feedback would be great because there are no reviews for them on MTBR. By the way, please note which frame you have experience with and if it is the EBB or sliding dropout version. Cheers,

E

more beers, lees gears.
    I rode with a friend who loves his desalvo steel SS. I think he had an EBB.
    A burrito is a sleeping bag for ground beef.

Cracker-magnon
    Advanced search function will yield you a gold mine

http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?searchid=6351552
    [SIZE=2]"Life is a F@#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm having a 29er single speed built by Mike, after having had my geared 26er for a few years (since converted to ss, with an ENO eccentric disc hub). I've also got a ti DeSalvo roady. Mike's super easy to work with, he can do an EBB or Paragons. I went with Paragons on the 29er, no bottle mounts and a mix of Spirit and Zona tubing. I'm also getting a rigid fork from him, just to complete the package. Here's a pic of the converted 26er, it's a really dark blue with cream panels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bent steel
    I'm having a 29er single speed built by Mike, after having had my geared 26er for a few years (since converted to ss, with an ENO eccentric disc hub). I've also got a ti DeSalvo roady. Mike's super easy to work with, he can do an EBB or Paragons. I went with Paragons on the 29er, no bottle mounts and a mix of Spirit and Zona tubing. I'm also getting a rigid fork from him, just to complete the package. Here's a pic of the converted 26er, it's a really dark blue with cream panels.
    Man, bent steel, you sound like a FAN!

That's a sweet looking bike. Can you comment on the ride characteristics and/or your riding style? My friend's a pretty stout/strong rider (200+ lbs.) - pretty much muscles it up and over everything. He rode a Surley for a long time and loved it. Prior to that, he bought a Merlin Ti frame, but torqued it so much on each pedal stroke that the chain would fall off (literally!)

What is the riding like where you are. We have a lot of rocky, technical stuff (ledges, drops, etc.) as well as steeps.

The De Salvo looks sweet. Do you think it's a good bike for a sort of meat-and-potatoes kind of rider? Also, what's your vote, EBB or sliders? Pros/cons?

Thanks for the pic and your input so far,

E

is buachail foighneach me
    mike was one of the instructors when i went to frame building school at ubi back in 2001. he really knows his stuff and has been around a while.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by theycallmeE
    Man, bent steel, you sound like a FAN!

That's a sweet looking bike. Can you comment on the ride characteristics and/or your riding style? My friend's a pretty stout/strong rider (200+ lbs.) - pretty much muscles it up and over everything. He rode a Surley for a long time and loved it. Prior to that, he bought a Merlin Ti frame, but torqued it so much on each pedal stroke that the chain would fall off (literally!)

What is the riding like where you are. We have a lot of rocky, technical stuff (ledges, drops, etc.) as well as steeps.

The De Salvo looks sweet. Do you think it's a good bike for a sort of meat-and-potatoes kind of rider? Also, what's your vote, EBB or sliders? Pros/cons?

Thanks for the pic and your input so far,

E
    Mike can build the frame to ride how ever it needs to for the rider, as can most custom builders worthy of the title.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

No Justice = No Peace

Yes deSalvo

I love my DeSalvo SS 29er. I'm a bigger guy, over 210, and I chose a 29er SS with EBB and a White Brothers 100 mm fork. the frame fits like a glove and rides super nice. I'm not sure how much of the ride is attributable to the big wheels, but the thing just rails. It's as stable as a freight train, but still turns well. I rode it at MTB Oregon with a rigid fork on it and had a blast every day.

His welds are pure art, and Mike was pretty good to work with as far as getting just what I wanted. Mine came a little late, but he threw me a King Headset. All things considered, I would definitely reccomend DeSalvo to anyone.

PS, He's in Ashland, but hardly a hippie.
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I just gave DeSalvo my deposit last week (and Mike will give me a King headset as Christmas gift), so basically I don't have any real experience on DeSalvo yet but I heard a lot of good things about him.

Mike says he could build me a ti fork if I really want to. What should I get? Ti or steel fork?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Mike can build the frame to ride how ever it needs to for the rider, as can most custom builders worthy of the title.
    Yea, shiggy, that's a really good point (it sort of occurred to me later as I was speaking with my buddy about these frames).

I guess some of the standard questions one asks about production frames go out the window when you're talking custom. Probably all the more reason to go with someone like De Salvo...

Thanks, all, for the input and insights. Happy singlespeeding in '08

E

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    My 26er is Columbus Foco, while the 29er will be a mix of Spirit and Zona (Spirit doesn't come in long enough tubes to do a downtube on a largish 29er). The 26er has been my favorite hardtail to date, after an ibis mojo and a Gunnar Rockhound. The Columbus tubes and DeSalvo geometry just seem to be snappier than the Tange or 853 tubing in the others.

Riding in Texas is mostly flat, but down around Austin it's pretty rocky, with some good drops and up here in Dallas there are mostly just loose rocks and tree roots. Even rigid (and maybe even better than with a suspension fork) the bike just soaks stuff up, even with 819's, which aren't very flexy. I'm a little under 200 pounds and about 6'1" and I don't find much flex in the drivetrain, certainly less than my previous steel hardtails.

I initially had the bottom bracket height too low, as the bike was designed around a 100mm Marz and I was running an 80mm Fox. I switched to a Talas at about 115mm and all was good. Now I run a 29er rigid fork to duplicate that geometry and it works great. With three DeSalvo's (well, still waiting on one) I obviously have nothing bad to say about Mike's work!

Ben

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    my zona steel 29er;

i also have a zona steel cx ss bike. mike does great work...send hi your depsosit already and tell him kam p. says hi.
    "forget kings...forget hadleys......they all have crap engagement. just run your bike fixed gear." - FoShizzle

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    my zona steel 29er;

i also have a zona steel cx ss bike. mike does great work...send hi your depsosit already and tell him kam p. says hi.
    thats one classy paintjob!

mtbr member

Good job! Spectrum Rocks

Quote Originally Posted by mafia6
    thats one classy paintjob!
    Yup, Mafia,

I understand they (as well as several other high end bike makers) get all their stuff done at Spectrum Powder Coating, here in Co. Springs. I've had Spectrum do a couple of jobs for me - all high quality work. They also do some fantastic custom jobs. Cheers,

E