Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Reputation: CHUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,138

    DAMMIT!...overtightened my enos

    moving too fast wrenching on bikes so i had time to ride i overtightened my drive side eno.....FACK!...

    any home fixes out there?...it's pretty minor...or am i screwed-blued-and-tattooed?

    friggin fraggin hoo diddly boo mash FACK!!!
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

  2. #2
    Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,421
    my buddy filled the square taper with jb weld and put the crank arm on a little, then let it dry. Then he cranked it down and it seems to hold. This was not on an eno, but same difference. He is built like a school girl, so your results may differ.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikeny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,602
    So what exactly happened to the crankarm? I didn't think it was possible to overtighten a square taper crank.

  4. #4
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Reputation: CHUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,138
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny
    So what exactly happened to the crankarm? I didn't think it was possible to overtighten a square taper crank.
    oh yah...it's possible....

    crank too hard seating the arm to the spindle will deform 'square' hole....basically making it bigger (as the square spindle is tapered)...

    thus bringing my drive side crank arm closer to my chainstay...which only had about 3mm to spare in the first place (optimal chainline for my rig)....it spins freely fine and dandy....but now when i pedal hard the crank arm 'clinks' into my rear stay.....it's irritating...

    so to summarize...i suck....
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

  5. #5
    Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,421
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny
    So what exactly happened to the crankarm? I didn't think it was possible to overtighten a square taper crank.
    my guess is the BB spindle pulled too far through the crank arm and the bolt is bottoming out on the spindle. Happened alot to me, however it wasnt from overtightening, it was from excessive abuse as a teenager, which started rounding out the crankarm, causing me to have to tighten it more, and eventually it bottomed out as well.

  6. #6
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Reputation: CHUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,138
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    my buddy filled the square taper with jb weld and put the crank arm on a little, then let it dry. Then he cranked it down and it seems to hold. This was not on an eno, but same difference. He is built like a school girl, so your results may differ.
    the JB Weld didn't 'weld' itself to the BB spindle?....'cause i do need to change rings on occasion

    if it didn't that's a pretty cool fix
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

  7. #7
    Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,421
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    the JB Weld didn't 'weld' itself to the BB spindle?....'cause i do need to change rings on occasion

    if it didn't that's a pretty cool fix
    I think a good crankarm extractor will break the "weld" I'd probably smear a light coating of grease on the BB spindle, which would keep the jb weld from sticking to it.

  8. #8
    Crazed Country Rebel
    Reputation: iheartbicycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,849
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    oh yah...it's possible....

    crank too hard seating the arm to the spindle will deform 'square' hole....basically making it bigger (as the square spindle is tapered)...

    thus bringing my drive side crank arm closer to my chainstay...which only had about 3mm to spare in the first place (optimal chainline for my rig)....it spins freely fine and dandy....but now when i pedal hard the crank arm 'clinks' into my rear stay.....it's irritating...

    so to summarize...i suck....
    Sounds like your bb spindle was too short to begin with. 3 mil ain't much.

    does the bb have adjustable chain line?
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

    Specialized sucks dong

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    444
    I've done the same thing. (overtighten Eno's) I was using a Park Tool TW-2 pointer gauge style Torque Wrench. Sucks!

    I'd highly recommend using an accurate click-type torque wrench if you're ever installing these.

    BTW - anyone want to buy a good left side crank arm and an overtightened/deformed right arm?

  10. #10
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Reputation: CHUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,138
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    Sounds like your bb spindle was too short to begin with. 3 mil ain't much.

    does the bb have adjustable chain line?
    no dish rear wheel with thread on WI freewheel calls for a Phil BB at 68X113 for as-close-possible 50mm chainline...

    i could push it over a few mm's but then my chain line would be off...

    i've been running it for years...and have had the occasional 'tapping' of arm and stay (only on short/hard steeps)....but now it's fairly consistent....which makes me wanna beat my head against the nearest tree....
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

  11. #11
    meatier showers
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    7,330
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    ... however it wasnt from overtightening, it was from excessive abuse as a teenager...
    Nothing is too tight when you're an abusive teenager.

    VOE.

    --sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

  12. #12
    Old school BMXer
    Reputation: Blaster1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,676
    Interesting topic. I haven't used square taper cranks in over 20 years, and I recently built a singlespeed with ENO cranks. Following the specs, I used a Snap-On clicker-type torque wrench and torqued them to 30 lb-ft. I went for a ride, and retorqued them (got at least a quarter turn). Although the White Ind instructions say not to torque them again, I couldn't resist. Another ride, same thing. Then another ride and the same thing. When does it end? (other than when the crank bolt bottoms out on the spindle) I'm not having much faith in these. I hope the need to retorque them ends soon.
    May the air be filled with tires!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,664
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Nothing is too tight when you're an abusive teenager.

    VOE.

    --sParty
    I like to abuse tight teenagers. I mean.... uh...
    Asymmetrical spindle BB!

  14. #14
    dude with orange car
    Reputation: Plim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,571
    Hah-hah!

    CHUM is a moron. And spa...


    Oh, wait. I covered that already.




    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,657
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200
    Interesting topic. I haven't used square taper cranks in over 20 years, and I recently built a singlespeed with ENO cranks. Following the specs, I used a Snap-On clicker-type torque wrench and torqued them to 30 lb-ft. I went for a ride, and retorqued them (got at least a quarter turn). Although the White Ind instructions say not to torque them again, I couldn't resist. Another ride, same thing. Then another ride and the same thing. When does it end? (other than when the crank bolt bottoms out on the spindle) I'm not having much faith in these. I hope the need to retorque them ends soon.
    You needed to stop re-tightening them after you put them on. During use the crank can elbow up on the taper. If you then tighten it again, it will move even further up on the taper. Eventually the hole in the arm gets too big and it's ruined.

    I hate to say it, but this is yet another problem HollowtechII avoids.

  16. #16
    Man up
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    482
    Crap, I asked the LBS today how tight I need to tighten my square-taper arms and was told GNT (good 'n tight for those above the Mason-Dixon) because I was getting the occasional tick. I did that, and then backed out the bolt to find I have plenty of room before the bolt bottoms on the spindle...but the dern creak is still there...wish I knew that 30 ft/lb number earlier.
    Jesse
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines
    (Most) always down for a ride in the Gville area

  17. #17
    CB2
    CB2 is offline
    Jam Econo
    Reputation: CB2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,212
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    no dish rear wheel with thread on WI freewheel calls for a Phil BB at 68X113 for as-close-possible 50mm chainline...

    i could push it over a few mm's but then my chain line would be off...

    i've been running it for years...and have had the occasional 'tapping' of arm and stay (only on short/hard steeps)....but now it's fairly consistent....which makes me wanna beat my head against the nearest tree....
    Perhaps a mallet to your chainstay?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    469
    I can't believe anyone is still using square taper.

  19. #19
    Man up
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    482
    Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis1
    I can't believe anyone is still using square taper.
    I saw a good quote on here along the lines of, "Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades." Some us are a little set in our ways and enjoy retro...but then, some us are just broke and enjoy what we have...
    Jesse
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines
    (Most) always down for a ride in the Gville area

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis1
    I can't believe anyone is still using square taper.
    if it aint broke, don't fix it. my eno's have been fine. 30 ft lbs and forget it until the EBB needs greased. and actually with the EBB torqued properly it's been pretty low maintenance and quiet. i know folks like to think they have a "calibrated wrist" but i'm a hardcore torque wrench user. wrench on german cars for a while and it all makes sense.

    can still smash climbs with my Ti WI BB and ENO's. that's the point right

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Andy R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    584
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    moving too fast wrenching on bikes so i had time to ride i overtightened my drive side eno.....FACK!...

    any home fixes out there?...it's pretty minor...or am i screwed-blued-and-tattooed?

    friggin fraggin hoo diddly boo mash FACK!!!
    Shim it with some .004" aluminium shimstock (aka. a piece cut from a Coke can).

    It will actually work - you might only need to shim two adjacent faces.

  22. #22
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Reputation: CHUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Plim
    Hah-hah!

    CHUM is a moron. And spa...


    Oh, wait. I covered that already.




    this coming from the guy that needs to stop mid-ride to reattach spokes on his I9's


    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

  23. #23
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Reputation: CHUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy R
    Shim it with some .004" aluminium shimstock (aka. a piece cut from a Coke can).

    It will actually work - you might only need to shim two adjacent faces.
    i'll give that a shot first....if that doesn't hold i'll go for ISAR's JB weld rec...

    if neither of those work i have a set of Middleburn RS8's laying around i'll throw on.....

    appreciate the tips to assist in mitigating a truly spastic maneuver....
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

  24. #24
    is buachail foighneach me
    Reputation: sean salach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,813
    I've used aluminum foil(like, for cooking) to permanently repair mushroomed square taper cranks before. Tightening the crank down with the pieces of foil in there comes pretty close to forging them to each other. I would imagine Andy R's coke can shim would work similarly.

  25. #25
    BBW
    BBW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BBW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,179
    better than overtightning your ANNUS :-)
    BBW. MS, RD

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •