Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Want to smell my chamois?

CX singlespeed for training/racing/coffee

I want a cyclocross bike. I want to race some next year, and have a non-mountain bike for riding around the damned island on which I live. It will also see heavy training time, especially for long rides.

I'm looking for componentry and frame suggestions. This beast will definitely start life as a singlespeed, and will most likely never be geared. I am attempting to put together a decent, raceable, long-lived rig for $1000.

So far, my leanings in the frame department are:
    1. surly crosscheck...approx. $400 (including fork I think).
    2. Kona Jake the Snake ~$395 (fork included?).

# I am also considering a Mountain Cycle Stumptown, though the frame and fork alone gobble up my desired budget. (~$899-989).

I have a pair of battered Coda Expert cranks that should work just fine. They'll need a new chainring, though (FSA? Salsa?). An eccentric bb is needed, too, I think.

Bar-wise, it's going to be a shootout between Salsa, FSA, and On-One I think.

Brakes: Avid, Paul, ??? I am considering just running 'cross levers because I will be on the tops a lot, and won't have to pay for other brake levers. Suggestions here are MOST welcome.

Pedals: the cheaper eggbeaters. Yay crank bros!

Wheelset and tires: no freaking clue here. Nothing fancy, but I don't want 12 lb. wheels either.

Any hints from those in the know will be much appreciated!

Ruv, Evilbeaver

blame me for missed rides
    also look into on-one il pompino and iro rob roy as frame alternatives. if you go with jake the snake you'll need to use either a tensioner or a eno rear hub. crosscheck, il pompino and rob roy are all ss friendly.

ebb requires a frame built to accomodate it. you can't use it.

chainring: surly steel (32-36), regular road inner (39-42) or bmx rings.

brakes: if you only use the top hand position there's no need to get a drop bar. so get yourself some road levers unless you are building it as a fixie. i'd get tektro/nashbar cantis instead of avid. same thing, only cheaper.

wheelset: iro has built wheels, otherwise you can build your own. i'd go with surly hubs, ma3 or delgadox rims, 32 hole, 14/15ga dt spokes 3x.

No Justice = No Peace
    I see Onza HO brakes on ebay cheap. They are super adjustable and work like crazy. Makes wheels and so on a smaller issue. Bikeman.com has a CX section with economical brake levers and also chainrings and misc parts. I suggest wide bars with a wide spread at teh drops. Itried some Ritchey bars with a pretty much vertical drop, and because of the width, my wrists would smash against the top bend when I was riding in the drops.

Use a lot of cork tape. CX bikes off road beat the crap out of your hands.
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

mtbr member

I'm interested, too

Post when you get it built.

Steamroller

check out a Rob Roy

IRO's new SS cross bike. it's nice and inexpensive.
    [SIZE=2]Two Wheeled and Too Big[/SIZE]

Where's Toto?
    I just picked up a new Pompino frame and fork on eBay for $265. Guy had more frames and multiple frame sizes - keep an eye out.

I raced on a Spot SS Crosser last year. I decided to sell it - been kickin myself ever since. I bought the Pomp with the intentions of eventually sending it to Steve Bilenky to have S&S couplings installed and making it my travel bike.I couldn't do it to the Spot as it had a flattened downtube shape. I thought about the C-check, but when I saw the Pomp on eBay, I jumped at it for the $$$.

---
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by endure26; 07-24-2005 at 04:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

cross check

Quote Originally Posted by evilbeaver
    I want a cyclocross bike. I want to race some next year, and have a non-mountain bike for riding around the damned island on which I live. It will also see heavy training time, especially for long rides.

I'm looking for componentry and frame suggestions. This beast will definitely start life as a singlespeed, and will most likely never be geared. I am attempting to put together a decent, raceable, long-lived rig for $1000.

# I am also considering a Mountain Cycle Stumptown, though the frame and fork alone gobble up my desired budget. (~$899-989).

I have a pair of battered Coda Expert cranks that should work just fine. They'll need a new chainring, though (FSA? Salsa?). An eccentric bb is needed, too, I think.

Brakes: Avid, Paul, ??? I am considering just running 'cross levers because I will be on the tops a lot, and won't have to pay for other brake levers. Suggestions here are MOST welcome.

Wheelset and tires: no freaking clue here. Nothing fancy, but I don't want 12 lb. wheels either.

Ruv, Evilbeaver
    I suggest the cross check, I've had mine and raced it for about 3or 4 years now. paul brakes are spendy, but once you have them set up right you might be able to forget that you paid about $80 each for them, I also have used some of the old shimano slr canti's and they work good also, little harder to set up but I've not had any trouble with it. Wheels I have MA3 rims laced to a rear surly hub and a front LX hub, you will need to service the lx hub occasionally, but it is easy to clean and add grease to, the salsa cross rim I hear is also good and cheap. Also check the MTBR or RBR classifieds for a decent compleate cross check, I've seen many good deals. GEaring, if you are running a road crank, I would suggest a 39by 18 gear, and put a 17 or 16 tooth on the flip side, Fixed or FW, surly rears come as Free free or fixed free. The 17 or 16 will be good for cruising on the street, the 18 for trail riding or cross racing. You will not need to shorten the chain to go from a 18 to a 16, just move the wheel forward or back. I also suggest you try a good road bar like a salsa bell lap bar, or the cheaper slightly heavyer motoace version with regular road levers, I think you might be surprised how nice it is, and having the hoods to hold onto is nice.
    good luck

Cracker-magnon
    Quote Originally Posted by single1x1
    I suggest the cross check
    Ummm yeah, what he said sorta....

[SIZE=2]"Life is a F@#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.[/SIZE]

Squalor
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gpsser
    Ummm yeah, what he said sorta....
    Ditto...again

If I could have only one bike...

great suggestions

Wow! Thanks for all of the advice (and delicious bike pictures). Those crosschecks are more or less what I had in my head for what I want my bike to resemble. I will definitely post a picture of it once it's built.

The Kona is no longer on my frame short list. I am going to investigate the IRO and On-One frames. Variety is good! Value per dollar is good too.

The gearing suggestions sound pretty good. I am already very comfortable climbing in those gears, or approximations thereof. The Surly hub idea is something I had not yet considered. I like the flipflop idea, though I would probably go free/free as I don't have a pathological need to ride a fixie (as of yet).

Anyway, if it's not already blatantly obvious, I am essentially a ss virgin. I've ridden ss fanatic friends' machines, and enjoyed them thoroughly, but to this point I've poured all my attention (and $$$) into my xc rig. It's time to expand the stable. I am also a little tired of *****ing about my dual control levers.

Thanks again for the help. I will continue to post questions as they come up. If you have an idea for me, please throw it down!

SS Clyde 29er

go 1-smooth ride, great deal, and if you like wide tires for mtb like cross courses or maybe wanna try ur CX bike off road, u can mount 44mm MutanoRaptor tires on this puppy.
    w 2-more of a refined CX racing bike but limits your options: need a tensioner for SS and can mabybe only go up to a 35mm tire, plus its an aluminum frame, so a bit harsher of a ride if you are not riding on grass.

Yeaa...super sweet frame, again more of a CX thoroughbreed, and that rear seat stay configuration is very smoov...it actually flexed and absorbs bumps maybe better than a steel frame! this is a relatively new design tho, so i dont know how long that flexy aluminum rear seat stay configuration is going to last if someone w a 220lb ass like mine rides the hell outta it.

Salsa is nice, go with what ever you have access to, just make sure you run an 8 speed chain. 9/10 speed chain are too weak, and BMX chains tend to have too much play (too wide) and like to jump off when you are at high RPMs

I like wide 40+ type bars, so the Salsa Bell Lap or my most recent love..pause..the ...im blushing...ON ONE MIDGE Bars ( http://www.on-one.co.uk/products/midge.shtml) are the best thing since slicing the tires of ur opponents. these bars are my absolute favorite, so if you like drop bars, but dont want to tweek out ur lower back using them, thse are the way to go.

well..i have Pauls, yeaa they are nice bling type brakes but, really now folks, if ur gonna race cross and be concerned about stopping...you arent approaching it w the right attitude. besides when its wet and muddy, they are kinda almost useless anyway. but okay..most any break that is well mounted and has decent pads will work fine if you want the low down. if ur gonna obcess about anything in the break dept...get some of the Salsa Cable Hangers, these are way wider than most and will make a difference when it comes to breaking if you are running cantilever brakes (allows for the use of road leavers as well, http://www.salsacycles.com/comps_brakes.html)

cross levers are fine too..esp if you need to be in the straights of your bars (if u have conventional drop bars) while descending and dont want to strip out your stem due to too much weight being on your break hoods. this is a real issue if you are a bigger/heavier person (im 220lbs) because more than likely ur not running a jumbo down hill type stem on your cross bike.

cant go wrong here, egg beaters are taking over the coss scene anyway, ohh yeaa guess whos sponsoring the the US Grand Prix of CX this year ...http://www.usgpcyclocross.com/

again Salsa Delgado are mighty fine, not the lightest but damn near bomb proof, i ride a pair that i have on a 29er MTB

try to figure tire size based on your weight, riding style, and the course. figure anyting form 28mm if ur fast, light, and on a fairly dry course to ur a big boi, muddy course w lots of rough spots maybe a 38mm tire. anyway there u go!

Ruv, Evilbeaver[/QUOTE]

Boe
    http://boe.fixed.se

Candlestick Maker
    I have a cross check that I really like and have set it up many different ways. Fixed, free, geared, flat bars, drop bars, mary bars, skinny tires, fat tires, etc. Oh yeah, I ran the Bell Laps, and they were ok. I put some Nitto Noodles on the bike and like them much better.

The bike is very versatile and I'd recommend it for your described uses. I've used mine as a commuter, for centuries (both fixed and geared), light off-roading, w/ a rack, without a rack,etc. The bike can be set up jus about anyway you want. The bike is not light, but can certainly take a beating and rides nicely.

Below is a pic of the bike. It is currently built up with:

Phil Wood front hub, FiR rim
    White Industries rear hub, FiR rim
    Old Sakae cranks w/ Salsa ring
    Shimano UN7x bottom bracket
    On One Mary Bars
    Paul Love Levers
    SRAM 8 spd grip shifters
    Precision Billet rear derailleur
    Shimano 600 front derailleur
    700x44 Mutanos
    Titec titanium seatpost
    Brooks B17 saddle
    Ritchey headset
    Airborne carbon fiber cyclocross fork
    Steel tubed bike rack
    Koski v-brakes
    Eggbeaters

baker
    Last edited by baker; 07-25-2005 at 10:44 AM.

more cx fun notes

Quote Originally Posted by fire horse

[COLOR=Blue]go 1-smooth ride, great deal, and if you like wide tires for mtb like cross courses or maybe wanna try ur CX bike off road, u can mount 44mm MutanoRaptor tires on this puppy.

etc. good stuff!
    Man, the hits just keep coming. I love it!

I have decided that the Coda Expert cranks will only be used if I cannot find a good, affordable replacement for them. I rock XTRs on the cross country bike (well worth the three months of living off of cheap cheese and potato flakes subsequent to their purchase) and forgot how much the Codas suck. I am 5'10", 160 lbs. and the Coda cranks flex under my meager power.

I have a notepad next to my computer with SS notes scribbled all over it. I have "USE THE RIGHT CHAIN" written in two inch letters underlined in red. Eight speed chain noted!

My next mission is to seek out an example of the Midge and Bell-Lap (and/or Motoace) bars for a fit test. I am afraid my beautiful Whidbey Island in the Puget Sound will probably not afford such opportunities, so I will look farther afield.

"not the lightest but damn near bomb proof" = perfect wheels for me! I won't be racing on the pro circuit in Belgium any time soon.

My concerns about braking power stem from the fact that this rig will see duty as my primary mode of transportation in crap weather. I don't want to get doored when I'm snaking through Seattle.

34N 118W

breaks

that's what happens to the Onzas.

I picked up 2 pr. off ebay for my cruiser. The last time I did some work on it I noticed that all 4 arms were cracked. All 4.

a better bet is to find some inexpensive Chimano cantis.

also, have you looked into the Redline built up CX bikes? Conquest & Conquest Pro.
    http://www.redlinebicycles.com/modul...s/conquest.htm

good luck
    HW

Quote Originally Posted by Lutarious
    I see Onza HO brakes on ebay cheap. They are super adjustable and work like crazy.
    Last edited by Hollywood; 07-25-2005 at 11:10 AM.

try driving your car less
    another happy crosscheck owner here. set up geared now for commuting and i did a triathlon on saturday and got 4th in the bike. i dont think i would have done any better on a 'real road bike'.
    i got mine used on the RBR classifieds, great bike.
    as an alternative if you want something 'cool', look for an old cross bike on ebay with the semi-horizontal dropouts. they come up, old bianchis and pinarellos.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    LOVE my Il Pompino.

blame me for missed rides
    for CX i strongly recommend Soma's "thick and zesty" tapes. extra long and extra thick. double tape it (or get some bar gel/dampers) and it's gonna be more comfortable than oury grips.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    love mine:

i like the color

i have built up also a black Crosscheck, very nice Bike

take The Crosscheck

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    a pink one

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Spot

For that kind of scratch, you could almost buy my barely used Spot SS cross bike.

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval

Barely used, upgraded to Race Face cranks since the ad was posted and I will post a pic later tonight.

I am selling the entire bike for what a new frame and fork retails for. The cross check is a great bike, lots of gearing options, but the Spot is a hand built in Canada frame, lightweight, and super high quality.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member

one more vote for the Surly

It is fer sher my "desert island" bike. I've ridden it on tough singletrack, racked it up and rode 250 miles in one day on it. taken it down to the local for a few pints, commuted on it, and it takes impact with cars quite nicely... I'll be racing it this winter, and I can't wait. Best bike money I ever spent. Good luck with whatever you go with...
    Last edited by veloyaj; 07-25-2005 at 09:07 PM.

semi-evolved simian
    Quote Originally Posted by veloyaj
    It is fer sher my "desert island" bike. I've ridden it on tough singletrack, racked it up and rode 250 miles in one day on it. taken it down to the local for a few pints, commuted on it, and it takes impact with cars quite nicely... I'll be racing it this winter, and I can't wait. Best bike money I ever spent. Good luck with whatever you go with...
    Hey Jason, you gonna be racing her in the Seattle Metro 'cross series ?

I'm going to vote for the Crosscheck too, total versatility, nice riding bike. Here's mine, currently fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mine'sAPint
    Hey Jason, you gonna be racing her in the Seattle Metro 'cross series ?

I'm going to vote for the Crosscheck too, total versatility, nice riding bike. Here's mine, currently fixed.

Nice rigs, one and all to be sure. I am definitely leaning 98% in the Crosscheck direction.
    I have seen the Redlines, but part of my drive to put something together is that I never have. This bike is going to hopefully teach me some things I want to know about putting (and keeping) a rig together.

Shopping List (tentative):

Crosscheck frame.
    On-One Midge or Salsa Bell-lap/Motoace bars.
    **advice re: gel tape noted. Twice.
    Old shimano cantis or Pauls...or hell, tektro.
    Levers...road...to be decided.
    Cross levers...probably salsa.
    Low-bling eggbeaters.
    Wheels: surly rear (or both?), or lx/xt laced with delgados...who knows...I know very little on this subject so need more investigation. MTB wheels I am comfortable with...

Anyone have suggetion on a crank? I hate the codas I have buried in the garage. They bend when you look at them funny.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evilbeaver
    Anyone have suggetion on a crank? I hate the codas I have buried in the garage. They bend when you look at them funny.
    You can't go wrong with Sugino XD300 cranks like these
    XD300. They are resonably priced and plenty strong enough. I have them on my SS as does Matt Chester

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast