mtbr member
    Feb 2004

CX (700c) wheels on a single speed mtb?

I am about to order my Phil Wood Kiss off frame and I am thinking of running cross wheels. I will be mostly riding it on flat trails and commuting to work. I was thinking it may be a bit faster especially with slicks. It will be a large frame so it should hold the wheel and paul makes brakes that make it all work.

Anyway any thoughts on advantages or disadvantages? If it does not offer any real advantages then it would be pointless cause it will limit options for the bike (e.g. running a sus fork etc.). It also may raise the BB a little as well.

Cheers, Shawn

mtbr member

why not a KM

why not get a KM frame/fork...or other 29er frame/fork? Sounds like it would suit you better. If you are wanting to run bigger wheels, that's what the KM is all about. You wouldn't have to get the tall Paul brakes either.

The bigger wheels are nice for commuting, and I love how fast my 29er rolls off road.

blame me for missed rides
    why not a cross bike then? like crosscheck?

highly visible
    Quote Originally Posted by sargon97
    I am about to order my Phil Wood Kiss off frame and I am thinking of running cross wheels. I will be mostly riding it on flat trails and commuting to work. I was thinking it may be a bit faster especially with slicks. It will be a large frame so it should hold the wheel and paul makes brakes that make it all work.

Anyway any thoughts on advantages or disadvantages? If it does not offer any real advantages then it would be pointless cause it will limit options for the bike (e.g. running a sus fork etc.). It also may raise the BB a little as well.

Cheers, Shawn
    Most 26" mountain bike frames/frames have clearance for 700c tires up to about 42-45mm wide. If you're riding on not-highly-technical courses where those skinnier tires don't put you at a disadvantage, you'll gain a definite speed advantage with the bigger wheels. You'll raise the BB a bit, and you may want to ask yourself whether you'd be better off with the MTB geometry you're used to or cyclocross geometry.

As a Karate Monkey owner however, I'd disagree that a KM frame is necessarily the best solution for what you describe. It's quite portly, and if you really are looking to run cross tires and not fatties, you'd regret the extra weight.

- Dan