mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Customer Service

These days parts aren't cheap and sometimes they break. Just wondering what your customer service experiences have been like, what companies have gone the extra mile to help you out and which ones have ignored you. For me, it can be a consideration when deciding to lay out some cash. Case in point, I just switched to a pair of egg beater ti pedals cause I got them cheap, they are lighter than my time's, and (most importantly) they really match my single speed. 3mi into my first ride, I hit a rock with one of the pedals and "game over". Crank Brothers told me to send it in and they would see if they could warranty/repair it, and I am praying they hook me up.......

mtbr member

Formula brakes were quick to trading a different hose length k24 when the wrong was shipped to me by the e-store.

Magura warranty was great when I cracked one of the pad retaining bolts. Just shipped me a new caliper unit.

Ventana, as usual in everything.

Cane creek is quick with emails and has hooked me up with a free crown race when mine was chipped.

Hadley hubs sent me several o-ring seals without a hiccup when i asked them about buying replacement parts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    SRAM/Avid/Truvativ has good customer service. They replaced a set of 175 FireX cranks with a 180mm Stylo set when a pedal thread ripped out. They also sent me a new BB7 when the adjusting knob stripped in the middle.

Crank Brothers is really good about repairing pedals. I swear it's probably cheaper to never buy a rebuild kit and just pay the couple bucks to mail your pedals in. I have a set of older SLs (1 of 7 pairs of Eggbeaters, 2 C's, 5 SL's) where the springs finally had worn too much play and my shoe would unclip, even with new cleats. Sent them in and they rebuilt them and replaced the springs without issue. Their turnaround time is a little slow. My friend ripped one SL apart flying down a hill on his fixed gear and they put a new spindle on and rebuilt them. Great service. I stay away from their Ti pedals because I just have a tendency to break ****.

Surly is pretty good about parts. They send me a new axle and bearings for a hub. They also sent me a new rubber cap for a Nice Rack. Frame warranty is a bit harder to get out of them from how it sounds.

Velocity has good service. Last year I wrecked a Fusion, Deep V, and a Dyad riding at proper pressure on the street. The last two were warrantied the first one not so much. I hit a pothole hard enough to pinch flat both 700x23 tires at 120psi.

Suffering Mightily
    Some companies that I have had excellent service from over the years:
    Surly, Spicer Cycles, Misfit Psycles, and Avid.
    Without freedom of choice, there is no creativity. Without creativity, there is no life. The body dies.

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by unfluid one
    Hadley hubs sent me several o-ring seals without a hiccup when i asked them about buying replacement parts.
    I have that same story. After I told Mike Hadley about messing up my seal putting my hub back together his first question was "where do I ship some new seals?" Excellent service.

Also, and I don't know that this can be beat, Surly warranted my frame after I broke a canti brake stud off of the seat stay. I had just changed to Avid V-brakes, and was adjusting them, and when I went to screw them back on, I instead screwed the stud off of the bike. I sent them some pictures and told them my story, and Aaron got back to me the next day. We exchanged emails and pictures for a couple of days, and he decided that he was convinced. Surly sent me a new frame, and Aaron explained in detail where I can get a 7 dollar kit to fix my broken stud. I followed his advice, and my brake stud now works exactly as I would expect it, and I have a brand new frame sitting in my bike room.

Everything is exactly as I described too. I didn't even believe what I was reading when he emailed me, and I had to ask him to explain it again. He said, yes, you keep your current frame, fix it, ride it, and we're going to send you another frame.

Unbeatable service. I keep wanting to put up an extensive post on here detailing the experience with pictures and all, but I haven't gotten to it yet (this was a few weeks ago.)

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I received my eggbeater ti pedal back from crankbrothers and it looks like new. I only paid to ship it to them and the process only took a couple weeks. I'm still a bit worried about the pedal's durability, but I feel like the company has my back. Also, I ride with Smith glasses and Smith replaced a pair I cracked at no charge - good stuff.