Page 1 of 44 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006

Custom titanium, alum, or SS singlespeed cogs, chainrings, & tensioners

So i figured i'd just consolidate all my stuff into one thread to make it easier for everyone.

I'm producing and selling titanium, aluminum, and stainless chainrings and cogs, along with lightweight tensioners for horizontal dropouts.

Chainrings

These single speed or downhill specific chainrings are made out of 7075-T6 Aluminum, 316 stainless, or 6al-4v titanium and completely CNC machined for accuracy. I can make any size that is physically possible, for any type of crank. They feature a lightweight and easy to clean design, taller teeth for less chance of dropping your chain, and they are reversible, so once you wear out one side, just flip it over to double your life. They can come polished, or anodized in many different colors. These are made to order, so there's a very short lead time, usually less than a week. I can also do custom engraving or patterns for an extra charge. Prices start at $35 each, pm me for a more specific price for your application.

This is my prototype ring for a Shimano XTR m960 crankset (102BCD).

here's a couple colors i offer:

Cogs

These cogs are going to be offered in 6al4v titanium, 316 stainless steel, and 7075-t6 aluminum.

They are going to be 5 or 6mm at the base tapered down to 3/32" at the teeth. These are machined out of a solid piece of material, and not remnants riveted together like Boone's. They are designed with easy cleaning in mind, so you don't have to waste your time with a q-tip trying to get that Cali dust and chain lube out of all the crevices. The titanium version will weigh in at about 20 grams for a 17t. My prototype weighs 25g, but i am changing it a hair. The lightening pockets will be slightly smaller, with identical pockets on the back side staggered to the front ones. This should make it lighter and stronger.

Also, the teeth are central to the base, so you can flip it around to double the life without screwing up your chain line. Material for the ti version is extremely expensive, so at this time i will be making them to order, with about a week lead time. I can make pretty much any size you want, but anything over 22t will be slightly more expensive for ti. I am also considering offering anodizing for the ti and aluminum versions.

The stainless version is made out of grade 316, which is more wear and corrosion resistant than 304 which most people use (because it's cheap).

The aluminum cogs are obviously going to wear a bit fast, so i recommend them for racing only.

I've worked in the aerospace industry as a Machinist and an Engineer all my life until recently when i opened my own shop, so this is all i know besides single speeding. Quality will be top notch.

Compare my prices to Singlestar's $200 for a ti cog, and theirs are considerably easier to make.

Prices:

aluminum: $30

Stainless: $50

titanium: $100

This is a prototype that i made for a friend as a going away present. I did a burnished finish on it which i didn't like, so they will most likely just have a machined finish. Better pictures to come of current cogs.

here's a better pic of a stainless one next to a stainless chainring

Chain Tensioners / Chain Tugs / Nut Tuggers for Singlespeed mountain bikes and BMX bikes with Horizontal dropouts (track ends).

These are all cnc machined from billet 6061 aluminum and hand polished to a mirror finish on exposed surfaces, or anodized in many different colors.

They are designed for use with quick release skewers or bolt on axles. They have bosses built in to catch a quick release axle so you don't have to use spacers or washers.

This design also keeps the tensioners in line with the dropout, so they will not twist when tightened.

The single screw is offset in the direction of rotation so it actually tends to be stiffer than a larger screw central to the slot.

I am now supplying them with 2 different length sets of screws, so you can run your wheel forward or rear in the dropout, and everywhere in between.

Last but not least, they are equipped with a bottle opener built in. on the drive side, the bottle can be opened with the bike right-side-up. On the non drive side, the bottle can be opened when the bike is upside down. This is done to accommodate easy-access alcoholism from any angle.

These weigh 12 grams each with the normal length screws.

All hardware is stainless steel.

$20 for 2 tensioners, and i can sell them individually for $11 each if you prefer. Message me for details.

PM me for orders or specific questions.

Thanks for looking!

Jul 2006
    Thanks for all the orders guys! You are all awesome.

Jul 2006
    Im offering a 10% discount on all multi piece orders for MTBR Members until 8/30/09

mtbr member
    would you send to the uk?

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn
    would you send to the uk?
    Absolutely, all overseas shipping is $12.95 US via USPS Priority.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Will you be making chainrings (chainwheels?) for WI ENO cranks in Ti?
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

Jul 2006
    as soon as i get a sample in to measure the spline, i will for sure this should be fairly soon.

mtbr member
    I got a set of the chain tensioners.

They are a quality piece of work, really really nice surface finish and work like a charm.

One day I'll get my lazy @ss to take some pics but I am impressed.

Once pay day comes around you betcha I'll be ordering some cogs.

Disclaimer; Do not know this guy, just a happy customer.

Cheers,
    Marty

Jul 2006
    Thanks Marty, that means alot!

Jul 2006
    UPDATE:
    I am now supplying 2 sizes of screws for the tensioners. With these screws, you'll be able to use pretty much any range you want, from the front of the dropout all the way to the rear. Unfortunately these are not an off the shelf item since most arent fully threaded at this length, but i am cutting the threads myself and it's working out great.
    Also, check out the pictures... i added one of an anodized pink set of tensioners. I am now officially set to go on anodizing, all done in house by me.
    I'm pretty excited about this, as there's alot of stuff i've been wanting to anodize on my own bike. Keep on the lookout for a Bianchi P.U.S.S. with almost every component in pink!
    Anyone who has baught a set and would like the longer screws, shoot me a message and i will get them in the mail at no cost to you.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    PM sent...would love a 34T M960 ring.....slobber.......
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008
    I'm assuming you'll also be anodizing chainrings/cogs?

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowsCast
    I'm assuming you'll also be anodizing chainrings/cogs?
    As long as they're aluminum, yes. I'm also working on getting a titanium anodizing setup.

Jul 2006
    I've been getting much better at anodizing... my bike is nearly completely pink now

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Just curious if anyone knows how the wear characteristics would compare between the 7075-T6 Aluminum, 316 stainless, or 6al-4v titanium chainrings?

Prices start at $35 each.
    This would be for which material? Aluminum? Can you give a ballpark estimate of how much price difference would be for the other materials?

I'm not in dire need of a new chainring at the moment, but I might be moving to a different size chainring sometime in the future. Just trying to get some ideas.

I like to ride my bicycle
    Quote Originally Posted by marty_hd
    I got a set of the chain tensioners.

They are a quality piece of work, really really nice surface finish and work like a charm.

One day I'll get my lazy @ss to take some pics but I am impressed.
    Love to see some pics of the tensioners... but only if you have the energy. Don't overdo it or anything!
    French car fan? Head straight to www.aussiefrogs.com

Jul 2006
    Ok guys, sorry for the delay. I've been working hard at filling all orders, and if you havent gotten it already, it should be there very shortly. Please let me know what you think

So here's an update:
    I decided to temporarily stop production on stainless chainrings (stainless cogs are still avalible). I really need to be able to sit down and iron out the process and find some more efficent tooling to be able to make these for a decent price. I am also working on the processes for aluminum and ti as well, but they are still in production.
    Anyone who already paid for a stainless ring is getting/has gotten one, and i spent considerable time to get it done right.
    Also, there is an overwelming amount of work that goes into the development of this stuff. I'll admit i'm a bit overloaded, but i'm putting some serious hours in to get stuff designed and out the door. For this reason, all orders are a week to a week and a half lead time (this does not include stuff already ordered, everything to this point is completed).
    I can just whip some stuff up and throw it in a box, but that's not what i want my company to be about. I want to make sure you're all getting the work that i'd expect myself, and i want to make sure my tooling and processes are as efficient as possible so i can offer competetive prices without sacraficing quality.

Pricing update:
    All aluminum chainrings up to 48T are $35 for anodized, and $40 for polished (unanodized). This is for 3/32" and 1/8" widths, any bolt pattern. This does not include spiderless rings. Please PM me for pricing on those, as it depends on the crankset.

Tensioner update:
    I've gotten news that one tensioner has bent. Seems to be an isolated incident from one superhuman , but it's only fair to mention. For this reason, i have decided to design a slightly beefier version. Keep tuned for details.
    Thanks again, and i look forward to your business!
    Dan Wilcox

I'm gonna have to kill ya
    Hi there I am interested in some tensioners anodized in Gold but was wondering what shade of gold you use (or can you tailor it?) I was hoping for the deeper Hope colour.

Also what time frame are you currently working to

Coming from a machine shop background much kudos on your work chap I would love to have my own shop to make my own bits but as I haven't the next best thing is to support fellow bikers like you and get some more of your work over to the UK.

V-Shaped Rut
    Just gonna jump on the thread so I can remember about it when I finally decide on gearing for my new ride.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by roybatty666
    Hi there I am interested in some tensioners anodized in Gold but was wondering what shade of gold you use (or can you tailor it?) I was hoping for the deeper Hope colour.

Also what time frame are you currently working to

Coming from a machine shop background much kudos on your work chap I would love to have my own shop to make my own bits but as I haven't the next best thing is to support fellow bikers like you and get some more of your work over to the UK.
    Thanks alot! It would be great to have some of my work make it overseas.
    As for the anodize, i havent done any gold yet, so i'll need to do some test pieces to see if i can get a close match. As for the time frame, it's looking like about a week or less for tensioners right now. I'm going to be doing a run early this week.

mtbr member
    If I send you my spider off of my Spec. S-Works cranks would you be able to machine a spider less ring that fits the cranks spline pattern? I am going to be building up a cross bike with those cranks and would like a ring. Also any posibility of doing a ring 40t with a machined in ring gaurd? I run 1x9 on my CX bike and use double ring gaurds
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

banned

look what showed up yesterday.

I got my XTR chainring yesterday and it looks great! This crappy picture really doesn't show the beautiful red of the chainring but my camera sucks. Excellent workmanship and especially since it's made by one of our own guys. Great job Dan!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cruso414
    I got my XTR chainring yesterday and it looks great! This crappy picture really doesn't show the beautiful red of the chainring but my camera sucks. Excellent workmanship and especially since it's made by one of our own guys. Great job Dan!
    Thanks Randy!
    Hope it works out well for you.
    Here's a few new pics. Your chainring is actually the one next to the pink chainring. It's hard to photograph and get the proper shade of red for some reason though.

Stainless 32t chainring and 16t cog

Aluminum 32t anodized red and anodized pink chainrings

Aluminum 34t anodized black and anodized red chainrings

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter916
    If I send you my spider off of my Spec. S-Works cranks would you be able to machine a spider less ring that fits the cranks spline pattern? I am going to be building up a cross bike with those cranks and would like a ring. Also any posibility of doing a ring 40t with a machined in ring gaurd? I run 1x9 on my CX bike and use double ring gaurds
    More than likely i can match the spline, but i'm not really tooled up for doing machined in ring gaurds at the moment.

Jul 2006
    just an update, i cleared my backlog finally and the manufacturing processes are getting smoother, so i should be able to keep up fairly well now. I'll keep you guys updated on this.
    Thanks again for all your orders!
    Dan

Page 1 of 44 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast