mtbr member

Custom SS frame...how would you design it?

I may be pulling the trigger on a custom Ti SS frame. I need to do more reading before settling on a final design. I really enjoy my diSSent so I'm thinking something roughly based on that. I'm just not sure about what would be best as far as slider design, BB, headtube...any suggestions?

mtbr member
    I would go with whatever's more compatible. For example, a lot of manufacturers are making more tapered fork than ever while straight steer tube seems to disappear from online stores - given that, I would go with tapered headtube. Also, there are way more different brands/model of 68/73 BB's available than pressfit BB's, so I would go with 68/73 BB. For slider design, I much prefer paragon slider, but from what I've read, people with track end don't seem to have much problem as I thought they would, so I could go either way and not really care.

Who is going to be building it?
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

Just Ride
    custom TI frame, sounds pricey. Something to consider in the future for sure!
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    I'm thinking hard about a Triton frame from Russia. Won't get it until some time next year most likely due to their backlog, but from what I see, they are totally sweetass frames and 100% customized.

Thanks for the info on the headtube. I pretty much figured as much on the BB but thought I'd ask to make sure. I'm clueless on the sliders, that's something I definitely need to research so I have a better understanding. Thanks again for the help so far.
    Last edited by Nubster; 05-30-2013 at 04:20 AM.

SCRUBDUNKER
    44mm headtube, 68/73bb, Paragon sliders

basically copy the Kona Raijin but have a 68/73bb

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Start by really thinking about how you ride and what you like and/or dislike about your current bike.

One thing to consider is how a single speed is different from a geared bike. With single speeds, I generally ride out of the saddle a lot more vs. what I would do on a geared bike. I also tend to enjoy tight single track sections and generally am not all that excited when the trail is wide open because I run out of gear. For me, the ideal single speed has super short chainstays, a moderately high bottom bracket, generous front center and low front end.

Basically the idea is to have the bike really dialed in for the tight, twisty, slower speeds, and climbing where a single speed excels. The geometry is not ideal for the higher speed fire roads, wide open trails, or fast descending. Especially with single speeds a bike is about compromise and selecting trades that make sense for your style of riding.

For head tube, 44mm is the new standard. IMHO you should also really consider going with through axle for the rear hub. Sliders and EBB are both good choices but if you don't have a preference you may want to just go with sliders because they generally have a better reputation for trouble free performance.
    Mark Farnsworth, Raleigh, NC
    http://farnsworthbikes.com

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Yes to all the above.....what was that other thread?...oh here it is...

Discussing Rigid geo opinions

Are you thinking rigid or sus fork? The other option besides Titan is Chinese...I went xcacd, but the trick is to do your homework. Xacd is probably a little cheaper, but titan probably easier to deal with. Pretty much what Febikes said for me...for my rigid, I went slightly longer front center, shorter wheelbase, short stays and long head tube (long as could for my preferred position), BB on the higher side for personal pref, and sliders. I also got a tapered headtube, but I would be just as happy with a 44mm one, like my other bike.

nothing to see here

FYI, its Triton, not Titan.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob View Post
    FYI, its Triton, not Titan.
    my bad!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I think what febikes said pretty much sums it up. All depends on your riding style and terrain. Also, if I were to look at going custom, I would go stateside, or even local. If/when there are any issues with the frame, that's a lot of $$ shipping it back to Triton. I've been looking at doing custom for a while (steel), and luckily have a local builder that I can talk to face-to-face. If any issues arise, I can drive over to his shop instead of hitting refresh on the UPS tracking site.

mtbr member
    Lynske and Moots are both companies that offer custom titanium frames and have great customer service track records. As for geo, I would suggest riding as many bikes as you can and compare them. Any major manufacturer will have the complete geometry of their frames available some where. There's so many variables that can change the feel and ride of a bike to consider. I can't even fathom trying to quantify exactly how a custom frame is gunna ride when you factor in the components you have to add. Stem, bars, saddle, fork, seat post, cranks Q-factor, etc. etc. That being said, I would go with what is most durable, and most compatible. The advantage of Ti over carbon is the durability. Press fit bottom brackets and integrated headsets go against that. Tapered head tube is a must. My #1 recommendation is getting split, sliding drop-outs like you see on the Spot Mod SS. That bike sums up the perfect drop-out set-up for me. Split drop-outs give you the OPTION of running a belt-drive. Which IMHO is the ultimate in SingleSpeedery and the Sliding drop-out design (like I have on my stumpy) is the easiest to use and most problem free method of chain tensioning I have experienced. Try not to kill yourself obsessing over 0.25 millimeters here and there. Look how many cyclists are out there riding mass-produced bike frames with the same geometry, winning races or just having fun with no problems. Just knowing that you designed the entire bike from the frame geo all the way up will make you love your new bike more than anything else you ride either way.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by razardica View Post
    44mm headtube, 68/73bb, Paragon sliders

basically copy the Kona Raijin but have a 68/73bb
    Lynske makes this bike for Kona

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the help. I still have lots to think about and complile options and look at frame builders. I agree that Triton may not be the best option logictically, but their frames are pretty kickass. That said, I'll certainly NOT rule out Moots, Lynske, or any other American frame builder that I can find.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Here is what I am doing for my custom ti 650b. You can steepen the angles a bit if you prefer the more traditional geo rather than new school descending focused:

HT - 44mm - allows for tapered fork
    HA - 68 degrees, 130mm tapered fork. I think this is the sweet spot for hardtails if your focus is descending. I can get to 69-70 degrees with a 110 or 120 fork or 67 with a 140-150 fork.
    STA - 73 degrees
    BBH - 12.5
    BB - PF30, with beer components eccentric.
    Rear Axle - 142x12
    Chainstay - Short as reasonably possible.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Thanks for all the help. I still have lots to think about and complile options and look at frame builders. I agree that Triton may not be the best option logictically, but their frames are pretty kickass. That said, I'll certainly NOT rule out Moots, Lynske, or any other American frame builder that I can find.
    Seven Cycles Also does some cool stuff mixing carbon and titanium and offer custom geometry as well. I was just thinking about how cool it would be have the gates belt drive and putting a Shimano Alfine 11-speed internal hub on there and use it for commuting. *continues day dreaming*....

mtbr member
    If you are considering dealing with a frame builder from China, take a look at Carver Bikes. Custom Ti The frame itself is made in China, but it goes through Carver's inspection, and if something goes wrong, it would be easier to deal with him than with someone in China directly. It's little more expensive than dealing directly with a frame builder in China, but whole lot cheaper than most other reputable frame builders.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    If you are considering US Ti, I'd recommend Quiring...an lot better value than lynskey custom, and personal service...Scott talks to you, then builds your bike and even paints it if you want. My Xacd custom was half the price or more than custom US made, but I can fully understand the wish to cut the risk and BS and go to a reputatable US maker. Just make sure you don't go to a dodgy US maker like Dean.

mtbr member

In about 12 weeks or so I should be on deck to have my custom Waltworks built! Never been attracted to Ti but love steel bikes. Like the OP I plan to base my bike heavily off of my Misfit but I'm planning to throw 1 or 2 major twists into the equation! I have ridden enough bikes to know exactly what I want and the only way I can get it is to go custom. Can't wait!!!

To also partially answer the OP's questions I think Paragon sliders are about the most trouble free way to go on a SS. Some EBB designs seem to be better than others but creaking and slipping are pretty much universally a non-issue with Paragon sliders. As for the head tube. I prefer the look of 1-1/8" but the future is obviously "tapered" so I'm going with a tapered fork and 44mm head tube. I think it just makes sense in that most likely any future production frame I may purchase will likely have a tapered head tube. That would make swapping my fork over very simple.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Paragon Rocker Dropouts are also very nice too!
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I really like the look of Trek Sawyer but don't want the weight penalty. Ti Sawyer would be ideal. Blacksheep bikes are great too.