Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Custom built SS...Who creates nice bikes

So...looks like I'll be starting a new job soon, which means I can put in motion the plans for a custom SS. Which frame builder will create a nice SS that "fits" me (I'm short with long legs and longer arms, think Kermit the Frog on a bike)? At the moment I'm not set on any frame material, but I think I would like to run a Lefty up front. I have no problem going too whoever I end up choosing too have the proper measurements made, and I would also like too make a few pieces (I'm a prototype machinist with access too machine tools) that end up on the bike. Any input on builders is greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Just out of curiosity, what pieces are you wanting or planning to make yourself?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    ^^ I was thinking rear drop outs/ adjusters, maybe the BB to integrate the proper angles that ties everything together (5-axis mill), proper clamps for the Lefty, and of corse a head badge (laser) to top it off. I can make more pieces if needed, but I don't weld.

mtbr member
    Perhaps you should get into the chainring and cog business
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Co-owned a machine shop for 5 years...not sure I want too make parts for other people anymore, just some nice bits for myself. Sorry.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Not sure it these guys would work with you on the custom parts, but if I was able to afford a custom frame this would be my choice. Lugged 953 stainless with one of their rigid forks and stem. Their work is incredible.

Engin Cycles

mtbr member
    My only experience is with Siren...they will do at least semi-custom, not sure about full custom. I haven't ridden my frame yet but I can say it's a very nice looking frame.
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jettore View Post
    Not sure it these guys would work with you on the custom parts, but if I was able to afford a custom frame this would be my choice. Lugged 953 stainless with one of their rigid forks and stem. Their work is incredible.

Engin Cycles
    WOW! The attention to detail is amazing with their work, they're definitely on my short list now. Thank you very much!

The Siren website didn't seem too like the iPad, I couldn't really take a look at their work, so they're off my list. I'm not saying anything is wrong with their bikes, but if I can't see what's going on, I'm not willing too drop $$$$ their way. Thank you for the response, I'm looking forward too pictures of your build when finished.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've always wanted to get a black cat frame.

black cat bicycles

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fryed_1 View Post
    I've always wanted to get a black cat frame.

black cat bicycles
    Once again, very nice bikes! A friend that I ride with has a Black Cat that Todd built for himself (SS), and somehow Fred ended up with it. It's a nice handling bike that inspires confidence. They're on the short list also. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Not as nice as Black Cat IMO, but I've kept an eye on Cysco Cycles as well: cyscocycles.com | Custom Steel Bicycles. Built one at a time in Tennessee. They do some interesting top and down tube twists, though I've never actually heard from anyone who's ridden one.

WNC Native

By:Stickel

Definitely Check out Steve Stickel, I'm sure he'd be cool with you making parts for the build too. By:Stickel - Handcrafted Custom Bicycles
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ALBM View Post
    WOW! The attention to detail is amazing with their work, they're definitely on my short list now. Thank you very much!

The Siren website didn't seem too like the iPad, I couldn't really take a look at their work, so they're off my list. I'm not saying anything is wrong with their bikes, but if I can't see what's going on, I'm not willing too drop $$$$ their way. Thank you for the response, I'm looking forward too pictures of your build when finished.
    Not that I really care which builder you end up with, but it seems odd to discount a builder because your iPad doesn't support Flash. Just check out their site on a computer.

But yeah, those Engin bikes look awesome! Glad they were mentioned.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The options just keep rolling in...thanks guys! I like the fact that Cyscocycles has some experience with the Lefty, because I believe that is the route I want too take with the fork options out on the market. I noticed that By:Stickel has built 650B bikes, which may end up my wheel size choice. His work has a very industrial look to it, but a very clean industrial look...it works. One thing that I'm beginning too realize is that this won't be an easy decision on who I choose.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
    Not that I really care which builder you end up with, but it seems odd to discount a builder because your iPad doesn't support Flash. Just check out their site on a computer.

But yeah, those Engin bikes look awesome! Glad they were mentioned.
    I was going to buy an iPad but when I realized I couldn't check out the Siren website, I quickly marked it off my list.

mtbr member
    +1 on the Engin.

Drew's good people and makes a great ride!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Custom built SS...Who creates nice bikes-engin-ss.jpg  

"Ride what you love, love what you ride"

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    I was going to buy an iPad but when I realized I couldn't check out the Siren website, I quickly marked it off my list.
    Funny, like I said, no disrespect, but if I can't view it, I won't invest in it. I don't care if I have $8000.00 into this bike by the time I'm finished with it, and if I can't find someone too make what I want, I'll build it myself. But people in business need too understand that the tablet market is dominated by the iPad, you don't have too like that, it's just a fact. If your website uses Flash, you're loosing customers, and that's bad for business. Have a nice day, and I'm still looking forward too seeing your build when finished.

mtbr member
    SnakeDriver has got my eye 44 BIKE CO.

Or you could always talk with Walt - Waltworks Custom Bicycles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ALBM View Post
    Funny, like I said, no disrespect, but if I can't view it, I won't invest in it. I don't care if I have $8000.00 into this bike by the time I'm finished with it, and if I can't find someone too make what I want, I'll build it myself. But people in business need too understand that the tablet market is dominated by the iPad, you don't have too like that, it's just a fact. If your website uses Flash, you're loosing customers, and that's bad for business. Have a nice day, and I'm still looking forward too seeing your build when finished.
    Not that I'm pushing Siren, I just think it's silly to discount a potential anything just because you can't view the site on your pseudo-computer. Anyways, I can view the entire site on my iPhone. Certainly if you have an iPad, you have a smartphone that you can use. Regardless, they make good frames and get great reviews. You don't want to consider them, no skin off my teeth, it's your potential loss. As far as my frame, not sure what I'll end up doing with it. It's for sale at the moment so its future is up in the air. GL with your search.

mtbr member
    Nice options already listed. You can also check out Carver Bikes for Ti and Calfee Design if you want to go green and ride Bamboo.

mtbr member
    Not that it matters much, but where are you? As you can imagine, with you providing bits for the frame it could make the process much more fluid if you had the opportunity to sit down with your builder.

I have a friend who owns a small frame company and he makes delicious bicycles. He just moved his shop from Yakima, WA to Portland, OR. Simple Bicycle Company is the name. He doesn't get much press but I've seen him turn out everything under the sun that takes two wheels. He has been working as a machinist/frame builder for 20+ years and even makes/sells a brand of frame jigs. He started out in the BMX industry and has evolved from there. As he has worked in several machine shops as a welder/fabricator on top of working in the bicycle industry he might be a good person to talk to.

Here's my dedicated SS he built for me last spring

mtbr member
    $1200 (base price) for a custom, Ti frame is pretty darn good with the Carver Bikes. I really want to try a Ti frame someday to see if it's something worth pursuing. I really like the looks and feedback on the Titan Ti frames too. Wait list on them is like 4-5 months though. But they are 100% custom starting at <$1000.

Wolfhound
    Circle A Bikes
    Spooky
    Vanilla(good luck, you'll have a bike in roughly elevendybillion years)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I can see I won't be getting ANY work done today! Thanks everyone for the feedback, I am checking out everything that you're throwing my way. I'm located in SoCal, so just about no matter who I choose I'll be buying a plane ticket to go have a sit down to discuss the build, and probably a second ticket for a proper fitting.
    Just a heads up, I lack computer skills. I can use the programming and design software that I need for my work (a computer to me is nothing more than a tool), but outside of that...I don't get them. I don't Facebook, don't tweet, have never downloaded a song, I can honestly say I hate the things, just need them for work. I don't own a smart phone, TV, iPod/mp3... I like too ride bikes!LOL
    I have no I'll will towards anyone, I'm going too try and not get into any arguments with anyone, I'm just looking for someone too help me build my dream bike. Thanks!

mtbr member
    No ill will towards you either, I just hate to see you miss out on a potentially good bike frame because of something like not being able to see a website. But, there are lots of other great recommendations given so even if you don't consider Siren, I don't think you can go wrong with the other choices.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast