mtbr member

Current non-Boost SS Frame Options

I'm in the market for a new SS frame but I'm stuck with some strict requirements due to the parts I have. Here's the situation...I've got 2 very similar SS bikes where I can swap parts as needed. This is important considering that I race 24 hour solos where part swapping is legal. Anyone know of any bike frames on a budget that have these specs?

73 mm BB shell
    31.6 mm seatpost
    44/56 mm tapered headtube
    Mounts for 2 water bottles
    Designed around 80-120 mm forks
    142 mm Thru Axle

I'd just continue to run what I have but my current daily rider frame only has one water bottle cage mount (kinda a big deal for me) and I feel the size isn't perfect for me. And it's Ti, which is too much bling and I'd be happy to get a steel frame and pocket some cash.

Let's hear some suggestions!

Note: Vassago Jabberwocky was on the top of my list but the headtube size won't work with what I have for parts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    A new headset for the Vassago can be had for $40-$50. Why not just get that if everything else works?
    [

mtbr member
    1. just get the right headset for your current fork. not a big deal
    2. I was against a Boost frame since I recently built a badass (to me) wheel around a 135/142 hub. there are some solid 142/148 boost adapters that should make putting a 142-specific wheel not problem. so boost is fine to me.

are you looking for a conventional XC frame or a modern "slack" frame? what kind of fork do you want to put in it? what's your idea of a stem length/handlebar width? budget?

my next frame is 99% certain to be a Jabber. it's the only frame I can find that has non-sucky geometry.

I am selling my medium ROS 9, in case you're interested in something like that.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. The Jabberwocky is still high on my list but I want to hear what other options are available. And it would be 2 headsets and 3 crown races I'd need because it would need to be compatible with 2 bikes and 3 forks. From my 5 minutes of research my current FSA No57 isn't compatible with the recommended FSA Orbit ITA because the crown race has different dimensions. I want to be able to swap things quickly if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    1. just get the right headset for your current fork. not a big deal
    2. I was against a Boost frame since I recently built a badass (to me) wheel around a 135/142 hub. there are some solid 142/148 boost adapters that should make putting a 142-specific wheel not problem. so boost is fine to me.

are you looking for a conventional XC frame or a modern "slack" frame? what kind of fork do you want to put in it? what's your idea of a stem length/handlebar width? budget?

my next frame is 99% certain to be a Jabber. it's the only frame I can find that has non-sucky geometry.

I am selling my medium ROS 9, in case you're interested in something like that.
    I looked into the boost adapters but it's tricky because both wheelsets I have are XT and XTR with centerlock rotors. Are there any boost rotor adapters for centerlock? I didn't find any and I'm not cool with doing a 2 adapter cluster of centerlock -> 6 bolt -> boost.

As for parts I have, the fork I'll run most is 120 mm Float with 51 mm offset. I also have a rigid Niner RDO I want to be able to throw on there if things get muddy even if it gives a less than desirable head angle. Bars are cut to 720 mm and I have stems in the parts bin from 50-90mm. Budget is...??? Cheaper is better but I suppose I'd drop up to a $1,000 for something that gets me excited.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I think the Karate Monkey fits all those requirements. Assuming you want 29 or 27.5+, you didn't mention wheel size.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I forgot wheel size...29.

Karate Monkey is out due to 27.2 seatpost diameter.

mtbr member
    Karate Monkey + new seatpost.

I agree, centerlock boost adapters sound like a pain!

mtbr member
    Unfortunately a new seatpost would increase the cost because I like running a dropper. And I'd still need to address the headset issue. I know, I'm making it difficult with all these requirements...

Also, I'm happy to report I got a lesson in long division on the Surly website from the video about Gnot Boost.

wanna ride bikes?
    Crown races are $6. New headsets are ~$45-50 (Cane Creek 40)and come with a crown race so you only need to buy one extra. So for $106 you can swap all of your other parts, that's a pretty reasonable additional expense given your needs.

Find a frame with the best geometry for your needs and that will fit you the best, and build around that. It's the most important component of your bike.

Don't let a new headset sway you into the wrong bike, or no bike at all. You have an extremely unique set of requirements there, something's got to give.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

"Fully rigid" isn't a thing.

mtbr member
    Carver 420 is exactly what you want.. and it has very nice sliding drop outs...
    Bikeman Carver Bikes Ti 420 Frame, L

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The Carver is very nice but only 1 bottle mount. I work 10 min from Bikeman (Bath Cycle and Ski) and I almost built a 420 except the bottle mount issue. I had them order me a Kona Raijin and I could not be happier. I too race endurance (6, 12, 24 hour, 100K-100 mile events and I cant wait to try my Raijin out at Shenandoah.

Oh Kona has a life time warranty on their Ti frames, kinda helps make the price more bearable. But the 420 is a sweet frame Forrest and crew at Bikeman will take care of you.

mtbr member
    buy a velco strap-on WB mount. bolt your WB to your fork. attach to to your seatpost. don't let the lack of water bottle mounts stop you.

the Jabber's geometry is pretty spot-on. Advocate Heyduke might do it. Chumba?

you can make any headset and any fork with with the right headset and a few cheap crown races.

80mm-120mm is a HUGE range of forks. switching a fork from 80 to 120 is going to change the seat tube angle, head tube angle, ETT, and bottom bracket drop significantly, and therefore, radically change the fit of the bike. at some point, you're looking at two differnt bikes.

my concern with the Karate Monkey is that the BB is pretty high with a sagged 100mm fork. if you want to put a 120 on it, the geo gets slack and tall really fast.

mtbr member
    wow.. didn't notice that... that sucks

Big Boy
    check out the chumba stella

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    the Jabber's geometry is pretty spot-on. Advocate Heyduke might do it. Chumba?

you can make any headset and any fork with with the right headset and a few cheap crown races.
    This is exactly what I wanted from this thread--a list of options that others have experience with and can give input. I'm just not familiar with frames from some of the smaller companies and I know a lot of you guys are exceedingly more knowledgeable than I.

Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Crown races are $6. New headsets are ~$45-50 (Cane Creek 40)and come with a crown race so you only need to buy one extra. So for $106 you can swap all of your other parts, that's a pretty reasonable additional expense given your needs.

Find a frame with the best geometry for your needs and that will fit you the best, and build around that. It's the most important component of your bike.

Don't let a new headset sway you into the wrong bike, or no bike at all. You have an extremely unique set of requirements there, something's got to give.
    This is great point. Choosing the right frame and building around it is how I arrived at my combination of parts. The headset change is minor and I'll do it if I have to but it'll be great if I don't. Seatpost diameter, BB, and 142 mm thru axle are things I won't change.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun44 View Post
    Carver 420 is exactly what you want.. and it has very nice sliding drop outs...
    Bikeman Carver Bikes Ti 420 Frame, L
    Quote Originally Posted by jbell View Post
    The Carver is very nice but only 1 bottle mount. I work 10 min from Bikeman (Bath Cycle and Ski) and I almost built a 420 except the bottle mount issue. I had them order me a Kona Raijin and I could not be happier. I too race endurance (6, 12, 24 hour, 100K-100 mile events and I cant wait to try my Raijin out at Shenandoah.

Oh Kona has a life time warranty on their Ti frames, kinda helps make the price more bearable. But the 420 is a sweet frame Forrest and crew at Bikeman will take care of you.
    Ha! You guys spot-on of what I'm after for a frame. I actually have two 420's I'm looking to replace one of them, here's why. I built the first one up about 2 years ago and it's my race bike with the best components I could get for my budget. The bike is dialed and the frame can fit a second water bottle so that's not an issue.

I liked it so much I decided to get a second 420 frame and build it up with spare parts I had for a geared bike. I don't have a road bike so I run a set of cheap wheels, slicks, and the rigid fork for training on the road. So I have a ton of parts I swap between the two bikes, which is perfect for 24 hour racing. But here's where I screwed up...I accidentally ordered a half size smaller (M instead of a M/L). And when the frame arrived I found out they changed the design with the same geo and allowing for longer dropper posts but a convenient water bottle mount is impossible. Check out the pictures to see how different they are.

Current non-Boost SS Frame Options-20170811_084333.jpg
    Current non-Boost SS Frame Options-20170811_084727.jpg

So, the bike is fine but it's just not perfect. I figure I can get a steel frame that I'll be happier with and come out ahead with some cash in my pocket. My plan B is to find a perfect Ti frame and upgrade. That Kona Rajin sure looks good...

Full disclosure: I called Forrest at Carver about the design change of the 420 and he was great. Turns out the first frame I got was the last of their old stock. He also offered doing a custom order but the 3-4 month wait didn't work with my impatience. I'll also point out if you go to the Carver website the picture you see of the 420 is the old design but they have updated the table with dimensions.

mtbr member
    Reeb Dikyelous.