Cormac

Crappy fixed wheelsets

I am currently converting one of my bikes to a track bike, and i am trying to do it for as little money as possible (seeing how in a way it is a downgrade ). I have been looking around the internet and I read some articles on sheldon's website, but i am not too experienced of a bike mechanic, and some of his cheapest methods seem a little too difficult. There are so many crappy fixies for under $300 dollars, but whenever i try to find a fixed hub wheelset they usually range from $100-$400. Where do i get one of the rear wheels that are on one of these crappy fixies?? I found even found a cheap fixie on walmart for $100!!!(Thruster 700c Men's Fixie Bike)
    '11 Dawes Deadeye
    '12 Niner E.M.D. 9
    '09 Giant ocr c1
    Xtracycle

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Do you already have a wheelset on the bike? If it's a disc wheel, try a tomicog.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    If I was trying this on the cheap, I'd try removing the freehub on the current wheel, remove the back seal, flush it with solvent, and force epoxy into the pawls and bearings - maybe warm it up first to encourage the epoxy to flow. Now you've got a fixed freehub.
    You can reverse with a new freehub - usually about $30. Even better, you might be able to get a bad freehub from your LBS to experiment with.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    If I was trying this on the cheap, I'd try removing the freehub on the current wheel, remove the back seal, flush it with solvent, and force epoxy into the pawls and bearings - maybe warm it up first to encourage the epoxy to flow. Now you've got a fixed freehub.
    You can reverse with a new freehub - usually about $30. Even better, you might be able to get a bad freehub from your LBS to experiment with.

Slash5 - problem with doing that is; there is no way to lock the fixed freehub to the hub. It will un-screw the first time back pressure is applied to the pedals.

Mountaindudespike - I make my own cogs that mount to the six bolt disc brake hub, they're a beeoutch to drill.
    Use a bmx/single speed Shimano DX type cog and a drill press with a carbide tipped bit - and good cutting fluid. Transfer the hole pattern from a disc rotor. You will also need a Dremel with diamond bit to open the center of the cog, and adjust the holes - if needed.

Also - run a solid axle - wheelpulls/tugnuts are a big help too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixed -N- Fly'n View Post
    Slash5 - problem with doing that is; there is no way to lock the fixed freehub to the hub. It will un-screw the first time back pressure is applied to the pedals.
    That's true of a freewheel but freehubs are splined to the wheel hub with a center bolt - at least Shimano ones are.
    http://steveukmtb.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/14hub.jpg
    Shimano Hub Overhaul (Cup and Cone) Mountain Bike Maintenance

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    That's true of a freewheel but freehubs are splined to the wheel hub with a center bolt - at least Shimano ones are.
    http://steveukmtb.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/14hub.jpg
    Shimano Hub Overhaul (Cup and Cone) Mountain Bike Maintenance
    Right - now i'm on the same page
    Around 4 years ago i did nearly that.....silver soldered the unit together. It did work, put the heat weakened the body enough for it to collapse after 100 miles or so. So the epoxy may work, JB weld might do the trick.