mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Crankset upgrade....

Have a Salsa EM SS...love it and have been slowly upgrading it...got my touchpoints the way I like them, changed the brakes out, and built a set of wheels...CK and Stans Flows....need to upgrade the crank. Don't think I want to go CF as its pretty rocky here and I bang them on occasion...currently have a lower end Truativ.

Would appreciate suggestions as to cranks I should look at...currently thinking Shimano XT but just starting to investigate options.

mtbr member
    If you are looking at XT, consider SLX too. Minus rings, there is only something like 10g difference between the two in weight.

mtbr member
    Since I started riding rigid, I've been riding it more like a dirt jumper. I recently got Shimano Saint from Chain Reaction, and it sure is beefy. Around $260 + chain ring, ended up being cheaper than what I was going to get (Race Face Turbine, around $300).

Shimano Saint M820 Crankset | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    If you are looking at XT, consider SLX too. Minus rings, there is only something like 10g difference between the two in weight.
    Excellent suggestion SLX stuff is very nice and good price point. Not sure but I think Saint would be heavier than SLX and more money. EDIT looks like Saint 60g heavier.

@OP, which particular Truvativ do you have now Stylo? and what don't you like? Too heavy or?

Here you go SLX wiht bashguard for about half the Saint price: Shimano SLX M665 Double Chainset | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have the Firex currently....actually like it fine but would like a little more bling and a little less weight.....I really like the bike and love the new wheels so feel a little nicer crank would be nice.

Have plans for the parts I have taken off in the near future.

The Saint would be cool but I use a 175 mm crank and it seems to be 165 only.

mtbr member
    The X9 cranks with a MRP Bling Ring have great for me. I had been using SLX cranks prior, and while they were fine I like the look of the spiderless ring more.
    Crankset upgrade....-060cbcd7-12d6-4810-b426-4a2b67d51f9c_zps1fd997ce.jpg

mtbr member
    And that "old" M665 is the AM version, which has the steel pedal inserts and beefed up axle. So a bit stronger than the M660 or the new SLX cranks (I think).