"the" fashion advisor

Crankset Suggestions--Converting an XTR M960??

So I'm building up a new 29er (Moots Mooto X) and have all my parts to set it up "with" gears, including a brand spanking new XTR M960 crankset. However, as I sit waiting for the frame to arrive the thought occurs to me that over the past 9 months when I've headed out for a ride I almost always take my singlespeed as opposed to one of my geared bikes. Combining that with the usual wet, nasty and mucky trail conditions that winter brings to the midwest I started thinking, forget the gears lets build this thing up as a singlespeed.

So, I've got a King Cog, spot spacer kit etc on order, but I'm not sure what to do on the crankset front---convert the M960 and add a bashguard or maybe save it for the gears and pick up/convert something else like an XT or LX crankset or buy a Truvativ singlespeed specific crankset or what?

Any suggestions on converting the M960 or suggestions for "other" good options that I might be able to piece together with even "in stock" stuff from my LBS?

34N 118W

nice frame choice!

the only sources that I know of for aftermarket M960 SS gear is Jericho or Boone ti.

I'm running a Jericho ring and guard that I scored from Josh, in person! I would say try him first, but that may be a dead end. At the time he was only making 36t but now offers 32 I believe. Thats assuming you can reach him.

the bolt circle is 102mm so its not easy to just find a ring at your LBS. Contact Boone if you want a custom titanium ring made in your choice of tooth count.

they also have groovy ti cog spacers

there may be other 102 rings on the market now, but I'm not aware of them (haven't been looking for almost a year)

Attached Images Attached Images

Flight Junkie

Mooto X SS

Hey there. I just received my Mooto X YBB SS and it is beautiful. I think you will be happy with it. I will be posting pictures when my stem comes in (had to be fitted before I got my Moots stem). I bought a 2002 XTR crankset (m950 I think) from supergo ($220.00), and had a Boone spiderless 32 teeth ring made for it. I looks great together. You have to have the removable arms of the older XTR though. You could do that and sell the 960's, or I think Boone can make one to fit you cranks if you call him. I just can't stop going in and glaring at my bike (of course it's in the house, and my wife doesn't understand that). My frame is a disc only EBB SS and Moots does such a fine job. Pics soon to follow. Scott

mtbr member

you can try I know they have Jericho rings in stock I don't think they will mind shipping one out to you.

CrAzY aNdY
    1man 1gear 1speed

mtbr member
    376 makes aftermarket new XTR rings, and they are supposed to go singlespeed in the near future. May be worth giving them a call.

(and let us know what they answered ;-) )