"the" fashion advisor

Crankset Suggestions--Converting an XTR M960??

So I'm building up a new 29er (Moots Mooto X) and have all my parts to set it up "with" gears, including a brand spanking new XTR M960 crankset. However, as I sit waiting for the frame to arrive the thought occurs to me that over the past 9 months when I've headed out for a ride I almost always take my singlespeed as opposed to one of my geared bikes. Combining that with the usual wet, nasty and mucky trail conditions that winter brings to the midwest I started thinking, forget the gears lets build this thing up as a singlespeed.

So, I've got a King Cog, spot spacer kit etc on order, but I'm not sure what to do on the crankset front---convert the M960 and add a bashguard or maybe save it for the gears and pick up/convert something else like an XT or LX crankset or buy a Truvativ singlespeed specific crankset or what?

Any suggestions on converting the M960 or suggestions for "other" good options that I might be able to piece together with even "in stock" stuff from my LBS?

thanks!

34N 118W

options

nice frame choice!

the only sources that I know of for aftermarket M960 SS gear is Jericho or Boone ti.

I'm running a Jericho ring and guard that I scored from Josh, in person! I would say try him first, but that may be a dead end. At the time he was only making 36t but now offers 32 I believe. Thats assuming you can reach him.

the bolt circle is 102mm so its not easy to just find a ring at your LBS. Contact Boone if you want a custom titanium ring made in your choice of tooth count.

http://www.boonerings.com/cr/orderformchainring.html

they also have groovy ti cog spacers

there may be other 102 rings on the market now, but I'm not aware of them (haven't been looking for almost a year)

HW
    Attached Images Attached Images

Flight Junkie

Mooto X SS

Hey there. I just received my Mooto X YBB SS and it is beautiful. I think you will be happy with it. I will be posting pictures when my stem comes in (had to be fitted before I got my Moots stem). I bought a 2002 XTR crankset (m950 I think) from supergo ($220.00), and had a Boone spiderless 32 teeth ring made for it. I looks great together. You have to have the removable arms of the older XTR though. You could do that and sell the 960's, or I think Boone can make one to fit you cranks if you call him. I just can't stop going in and glaring at my bike (of course it's in the house, and my wife doesn't understand that). My frame is a disc only EBB SS and Moots does such a fine job. Pics soon to follow. Scott

mtbr member

Or

you can try http://www.gravywheels.net/ I know they have Jericho rings in stock I don't think they will mind shipping one out to you.

CrAzY aNdY
    1man 1gear 1speed

JJT
    mtbr member
    http://www.moonheadmachine.com makes aftermarket new XTR rings, and they are supposed to go singlespeed in the near future. May be worth giving them a call.

(and let us know what they answered ;-) )

JJ