mtbr member

Crank Recommendations?

I've recently broken yet another crankarm, and I want to get a new crank that won't eventually throw me onto my handlebars. Here's the things I'm looking for in a crank:

-Option to run a chainring either inside or outside the spider
    -Not spend more than $150- $200 dollars (including bottom bracket)*
    -Unlikely to break/Clydesdale compatible (maybe a DH or freeride type crank?)
    -Preferably something that doesn't include ramped/pinned/shifty chainrings that I'd have to just turn around and get rid of. . .
    -Preferably something I can order through by LBS.

Any experience or advice anyone can throw my way, please pass it along. Thanks!

*I'm kind of in the dark about recent bottom bracket developments. For several years I've not been buying much in the way of new bike parts, so my knowledge of bottom bracket/crank interface evolution ends with the transition from square taper (which I'm still running) to Isis and Octalink (which I tried for a while, but it didn't jump right out and impress me). For what it's worth, I haven't had any problems yet with square taper bottom brackets, so if there's a super-tough crankarm out there for square taper, I'm open to trying it--I'm just assuming that there won't be many beefy crank arms out there for square spindles.
    Fat, tired.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'd recommend Shimano LX, SLX, or Hone Hollowtech II cranks. You can find them for under $100 on sale on the internet, they're very robust, and include the BB. Just make sure to have you BB shell faced before installing one.