Live Life, Ride a Bike!

Crank questions?

Ok so i have read a ton of posts and reviews on cranks, but I have some questions.

Why are some cranks i.e. WI still square tapered bb's? I thought, and I may be mistaken, that the splined or external bb cranks were better? I remember when they 1st came out how the talk was that the interface on the arm and bb was better as compared to the squared tapered? I like everyone else who is getting on board the SS and or 29er train am looking for advice on cranks, and of course everyone has there opinion which is best, but I would say every 1 out of every 3 I get is for the WI Eno's. And yes common sense should say, 'that should tell you something" I wanted to get a better understanding. Also the new Fifteen.g cranks as spotlighted in the MAR 09 bike mag look intriguing as well.

himom!
    Apr 2006
    Square taper is still around because it works. It's not as stiff as the external bottom brackets, but they can be just as light and have a significantly smaller Q factor (width).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I prefer the WI Eno because of the one piece chainring and no chainring bolts to loosen up. I have Shimano square taper BB's that are 5 years old, used often, and work very well. The ENO crankset is very stiff and very dependable. I have broken Race Face cranks and TNT cranks. So far, the ENO has been very dependable.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

meatier showers
    I've run nothing but square taper cranks since 1970. Never had any reason to go to any other system. Plus square taper BBs last practically forever.

As for square taper cranks not being as stiff as external BBs, I dunno about that. I'm a strong rider and run 195mm custom cranks on all my bikes. With a 36" inseam, I have a lot of leverage. I have no complaints whatsoever about the stiffness of my square taper systems.

-Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Square tapered bottom brackets work just fine. External bottom brackets could, in theory, be better, but in practice aren't that much of an improvement. (Rember the hype versus reality of ISIS?) That said, I don't run White Industries cranks because I don't like being forced to buy their chainrings. I use Surly Mr Whirly 180mm cranks on my single speed with a stainless steel Surly chainring and Chris King bearings. It is a pricey setup, but very strong and reliable.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    WI Enos with shimano bottom bracket. Easy to set up

Live Life, Ride a Bike!
    Man I was going to give the FSA's a shot but it seems like WI Enos might get the nod.